Centennial Park in the evenings

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Jono

Postby Jono » 09 Jul 2008, 09:53

I have also posted this on Sydney Cyclist, because things got interesting and I would like to know where I stand should the Ranger/Police take umbridge at anyone (including me) cycling through Centennial park in the evenings.
I have rode through Centennial Park in the evenings on so many occasions I can't remember, but lastnight got interesting. A police car, a car from the Firebrigade and a firetruck drove in and parked near the kiosk. The fire brigade parked on the right in the spaces for cars while the Police parked in the bike lane. As I rode past I heard the cop in the passenger seat ask the cop who was driving about parking in the bike lane, he replied "the park is closed to cyclists they shouldn't even be here" (this was loud enough for me to hear as I passed :? ).
There were other cyclists in the park at the time (at times it can be a better ride at night - fewer cars!).
I did another lap and they had left enough space for people to pass. Is Centennial Park closed to cyclists in the evening? They haven't been fussed about cycling after dark & the gates closed. It may have something to do with World Youth Day - they are setting up for next week & I wouldn't be surprised if we see the Police & rangers patroling more. There are a lot of people who ride through Centennial Park in the evenings. This may become more of an issue as the event gets closer.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 09 Jul 2008, 10:23

Have you checked the web site http://centennialparklands.com.au/

Jono

Postby Jono » 09 Jul 2008, 11:07

I notice while cycling in the park after dark (my apologies for rhyming)is not explicitly prohibited they may use the definition of vehicle and the access hours - sunrise to sunset to put the kybosh on any training or riding in the park after hours. I will keep a watching brief on any developments.

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 09 Jul 2008, 11:28

I remember quite a few years back when I used Centennial for my road training & I was a regular in the Tues/Thurs afternoon bunch during winter after the bunch broke up we'd get in little groups & keep doing laps with lights. I always loved it, flat chat in a bunch of about 1/2 dozen riders.

Them were the days...

timyone

Postby timyone » 10 Jul 2008, 13:35

ive been wondering about doing my training at centenial some time out side of saturday or sunday morning too, so am interested in this topic.
but yeah guessing the cop didnt know what he was talking about any way.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 10 Jul 2008, 14:11

There are various clubs that train there most weekday mornings and theres one that train there Thursday evening, possibly other nights. Ditto at Olympic Park.

Doesn't mean you can't do your own thing.

Return to “Conversation”