Lansdowne Park 8/8/10 Tony Abbott of DHBC on the Podium

Road cycling & upcoming rides
paul

Postby paul » 09 Aug 2010, 20:31

Freezing cold Sunday Morning for my first outing at Lansdowne Park.
I go there too late to do a warm-up lap before tackling C Grade.

I tried to get a gap with three laps out and took one rider with me.
But we were caught, and I was stuffed for the sprint.

After the race the other rider introduced himself as Tony Abbott (another Tony Abbott).
Apparently he is Dulwich Hill member, but wasn't wearing a jersey.
I see from the results on the Waratah site that he got second.

No accidents this week, but I can see why they have a lot of crashes on this course.
It is narrow with a very fast downhill section and nowhere to run off the track.

Paul

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 10 Aug 2010, 13:01

Congratulations Tony.

That would mean we have had two Tony Abbott's ride with the club.

The pollie and the podium winning one. Some of you may remember about 18 months or more ago when he 'appeared' one morning and came out to Waterfall and back with us.

Once the election is over I will invite the new Prime Minister, or liberal backbencher (maybe Opposition Leader?) to ride with us again. He was good fun to ride with and had lots of conversation with us at Cafe Bobo's when it was still open.

I had the honour of towing Tony Abbott along Grand Parade when he got dropped from the middies bunch on the return ride. Looking at his recent cycling form, I think I will have the honour next time of being towed by Tony himself as he chases down the fasties.

timyone

Postby timyone » 10 Aug 2010, 13:06

yeah sounds like hes pretty fit right now!

lol and yeah great work on the podium ":D

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 10 Aug 2010, 14:01

Once the election is over I will invite the new Prime Minister, or liberal backbencher (maybe Opposition Leader?) to ride with us again. He was good fun to ride with and had lots of conversation with us at Cafe Bobo's when it was still open. I had the honour of towing Tony Abbott along Grand Parade when he got dropped from the middies bunch on the return ride. Looking at his recent cycling form, I think I will have the honour next time of being towed by Tony himself as he chases down the fasties.
Geoff - I'll assume this post is in jest re inviting The Mad Monk to ride with DHBC? :?

I was there that day too (at Bobo's anyway) and didn't get to speak to the then Minister for Health on matters close to my heart, as I was being "restrained" .... by Joanne!

Great result for the DHBC Tony, and I hope that the MM gets the same result on Aug 21st.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 10 Aug 2010, 18:46

Every one has the right to sit and have a coffee in peace after a hard ride, without getting ribbed about their job. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr to Stuart!!

othy

Postby othy » 10 Aug 2010, 22:00

Every one has the right to sit and have a coffee in peace after a hard ride, without getting ribbed about their job. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr to Stuart!!
Everyone also has the right to not be a douche politician? It was just after his RU486 gaffe. He should be fair game. I too was there that morning and honestly regret the restraint everyone showed. We are far too polite.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 10 Aug 2010, 22:22

I thought he had got on the back of the fasties for the return ride and dropped off them, didn't know it was the middies.

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 10 Aug 2010, 23:00

Im with Othy on this one.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 11 Aug 2010, 18:40

What is this....the lets all join the "Support for Stuart" Party? Looks like I lost this one.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 11 Aug 2010, 18:53

Maturity is called for on this. The real worry in a democratic system is not the man/woman but the system oddity and voters who vote fools into office eg. Those who voted Dubya Bush in.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 11 Aug 2010, 19:21

What is this....the lets all join the "Support for Stuart" Party? Looks like I lost this one.
Don't worry Joanne, I'm sure he'll draw the line when it comes to kissing baby's

Return to “Road”