Masters time trial goulburn race report

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Trouty

Postby Trouty » 07 Sep 2012, 17:20

It was good to see a lot of DHBC riders today having sighted JDLester, Mike Austin, Weller, Pete OSullivan, Eleri, myself and Dezzie. There could have been others but that is all we saw before we had to get out from the cold.

We always expected Goulburn to be cold and windy, but these conditions were beyond what I have ever experienced. Apart from being freezing, the first obstacle was Gail force head winds up the first 10km climb. I felt like I was standing still for the first 20 minutes and the only direction my bike seemed to be moving was side ways through the many wind gusts. On aero bars with heavy rain, I was sure I was going to come off several times through the race. Then just as you thought it couldn't get any worse.....it started to hail. The return trip downhill was fast, but still scary with the slippery roads, rain and side ways wind. Funnily enough, I still enjoyed it, and was only 28 seconds off third to a girl that usually smashes me, so I can't really complain.

I'm staying up here with Pete, Weller and Eleri, so looking forward to Eleri's cooking and sitting by the heater. I will let them tell there story but I'm sure they had similar conditions.
Last edited by Trouty on 08 Sep 2012, 07:13, edited 1 time in total.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 07 Sep 2012, 17:52

Hail! My gosh. Here I was moaning about the gusty wind and rain. Well done for surviving those conditions!

To get an idea of the headwinds, I managed to increase my average speed by about 18km/hr on the way back in. It certainly was scary reaching those speeds on wet roads with gusts of wind almost trying to knock you off the bike.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 07 Sep 2012, 20:39

The only thing that made this ride better than a terrible race in Nowra http://www.dhbc.org.au/forum/viewtopic. ... 495#p42495 a few weeks ago is that the Nowra ride was 90km and this was 20km.

Never in my life have I had to get into the small ring on the flat, and right down in the granny gears to achieve just 15kph. The bars felt unstable and the bike was all over the place.

The hail really topped it all off.

Avg speed on the way out 19kph. Avg on the way back - 38kph. I think you can guess which leg had the wind.

timyone

Postby timyone » 08 Sep 2012, 11:19

Great work people! That's heaps good Jo! Good luck crit ting it up people

Return to “Road”