Heffron Race Report 26th Feb

Road cycling & upcoming rides
geoff m

Postby geoff m » 27 Feb 2011, 22:50

My first race at Heffron for about 4 months. Did two in Nowra in January whilst on holidays :lol:

Was a big field for all grades and D grade was about 16.

Bart from DHBC lined up for his first race. It was very hot (29 degrees) and windier than usual.

Straight away the kids took off and attacked multiple times, but us oldies easily brought them in.

There were several more attacks before the race settled down mid way.

A group of B or C grade overtook us on the last lap which was always going to be a nuisance. Coming up to the pimples Bart attacked and had to squeeze past the B or C graders, and so did we. This strung us out a bit, and the second and third wheel couldn't quite catch him and I was solo in fourth wheel with the rest behind.

As we came onto the final straight, I could see Bart still well in the lead, with second and third wheel slowly gaining momentum. I was out of it at this stage.

At the end, I saw one of the guys get Bart with 10 metres to go. Bart got second which was pretty good for first race.

Well done Bart!

bart

Postby bart » 28 Feb 2011, 21:40

Thanks Geoff,

It was a great experience to be in a race finally. I was surprised at how fast the pace changed from minute to minute. At one point A grade flew past on the right and I flew off to the left, death wobbling through the sand but managed to stay up laughing to myself at how funny it must have looked.

I was a bit unsure about being amongst the final sprint so, on the last lap, I bolted from the pimples as I'd noticed everyone slowing down there in the previous laps. I didn't know how long I'd last and was taken with about 10 meters to go.

Looking forward to another one soon!

timyone

Postby timyone » 01 Mar 2011, 13:50

great work lads :D
(its great having you there to ride with our newer lads Geoff)

Return to “Road”