Cycle path througn Ashfield Municipality

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
williamd

Postby williamd » 14 Nov 2008, 19:08

Hi All

I am the man with the plan for a cycleway plan through Ashfield Municipality.

Ashfield Council are in the process of preparing a plan for bicycle routes through the Municipality.

I am on the Ashfield Council committee representing Dulwich Hill bicycle club's interests.
After loosing Camperdown Veladrome to Marrickville Council some years ago it is time we make Council's pay their due to the club.

I am looking for any comments from wise people, like toff and weiyun for instance, regarding the best route through the Municipality for a bike path.

All suggestion will be reported to the committee.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 14 Nov 2008, 19:15

Hey, I drive to Ashfield regularly but hardly ever get a chance to ride there. So not wise enough to contribute. :(

What I would suggest strongly is to get in touch with the good folks of ABUG, LBUG and MBUG. They are very experienced in these matters and do a lot more commuter miles through the municipality. Of course, there are many others in our club who are also very knowledgeable.

Terry

Postby Terry » 14 Nov 2008, 19:33

You could also try http://www.sydneycyclist.com/

Heaps of people who would be keen to have some input on a project such as this one.

williamd

Postby williamd » 14 Nov 2008, 21:13

Weiyun said

'I drive to Ashfied regularly but hardly ever ride.'

That is exactly the point. - Ashfield is not bike friendly.

You ride in the Ashfield Municipality -Hawthorn Parade Haberfield.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 14 Nov 2008, 21:42

That is exactly the point. - Ashfield is not bike friendly.
You ride in the Ashfield Municipality -Hawthorn Parade Haberfield.
I guess I skirt it regularly.

If you think Ashfield is not bike friendly, then try the narrow streets of Balmain along with its parked cars and opening car doors. :cry:

Seriously though. I understand that there is a major bike route plan that connects the various municipalities. Does Ashfield Council not have this already? It might be worthwhile finding out from LBUG and MBUG people where are their entry and exit points on the boundary of their municipalities and then work out how the bike networks can be connected within Ashfield. Bob Moore is the man to contact in LBUG. He is very active in developing bike facilities within Leichhardt and is very knowledgeable.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 15 Nov 2008, 10:16

Bill,

Adrian is very much active with Ashbug and knows that area well.

Also Chris R I believe lives in Ashfield/SlumberHill.

insomniac

Postby insomniac » 15 Nov 2008, 11:28

William, my 2 bobs worth. Having just ridden over to Ashfield Cycles from Dulwich Hill, I reckon they need a better cycling amenity joining Summer Hill to the main Ashfield shopping precint on Liverpool Rd. Besides mixing it with the traffic on Liverpool Rd, the cyclist is left to mix it with busy one way streets (traffic management scheme stuff) that run parrallelish to Liverpool Rd. Because these streets are one way perhaps they could accomodate cycling lanes as well.

Toff

Postby Toff » 16 Nov 2008, 16:44

Cyclist are road vehicles and belong on the road. I'm sick of hearing talk about bike lanes. Your idea of a bike lane and the council's idea of a bike lane are completely different. Some councils think you can take a metre wide footpath, paint a line down the middle and that's the end of it. I for one will not ride down such a dangerous bike path. (Sorry, shared zone in most instances). You have to go walking pace to avoid the pedestrians and tree roots! Anyone who has ridden across the Pyrmont Bridge extension will know what I mean...

I also won't ride down a section of green painted road in the door zone, no matter how many bicycles the council paints on the road. If I had my way I'd put a red circle with a line through it on every one of those painted bikes, since it is more dangerous to ride in that door zone than out in the road, where the cars are going closer to my speed than the stationery door that I'm going to hit in the "green zone". The problem is that drivers see the green zone with its painted bikes, and think I'm the one being rude when I don't use it.

So, sometimes, when councils offer bike paths, and bike advocates agree to them without fully understanding what the council actually means, they are doing cycling a dis-service, rather than helping.

What is needed to encourage bike use is:

1) Proper driver education;
2) Penalties that will prevent ant-cycling behaviour by road users;
3) A system which will enforce those penalties appropriately and
4) Bike lanes if necessary, but wide enough for 2 cyclists to pass safely. (That's 2 bike widths plus 1.5 metres between them, plus a safe verge on either side).

/rant.

insomniac

Postby insomniac » 16 Nov 2008, 17:12

agree with you and your last 4 points - but only point 4 would have any hope of being implemented, at lease in the short term.

Cycle lanes can be unsafe due to dooring but they do (IMO) at least provide some legitamicy to / remind those motorists with an anti cyclist attitude that cyclist do have a right to be on the road. From that point of veiw I'd like to see bike symbols and signs plastered everywhere.

Unfortunately the majority of motorists (probably the most powerful political lobby group in this country) don't like cyclists being on the road, so while I agree that cyclists are road vehicles and belong on the road, politically they don't...unfortunately.

BTW I noticed your anti-cycle lane approach when riding with u down Lilyfield RD, which considering the speed reached on that road is the right approach, even if it means the ocassional toot 8) cheers Mike

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 16 Nov 2008, 18:32

Hi Bill,

This is news to me, but since moving to Redfern I've been less involved in Ashbug. Has Council contacted Ashbug for comment? (i've left the Ashbug committee as of October this year but Chris Rissel is still on it).For resources on bike planning checkout TravelSmart Austalia's "bikeability" tool kit for LGAs: http://www.travelsmart.gov.au/bikeability/index.html

I don't even know where to begin having a conversation about bike planning in Ashfield Council. Its been very ordinary as nothing much has been done for over 20 years. Many ashfield cyclists would identify North to South access across council as of the most importance as both parramatta rd and liverpools road are real barriers and there is no signage or connectivity amongst quieter roads). If Ashfield Council has finally decided to do a bike plan, they need to take their time and invest proper resources into it.

williamd

Postby williamd » 17 Nov 2008, 16:33

Adrian

I spoke to the Director of the Council Engineer's Dept.(who is also a keen bike rider) and he informed me that all the relevant parties will be invited to provide their advice.

Ashfield Council did spend $60,000 about 2 years ago upgrading the bicycle path along the Hawthorne Canal at the end of Grovenor Crescent Summer Hill.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 17 Nov 2008, 17:46

Bill,

Check out the following links to see what other councils are doing with their bike plans. Ashfield Council has never developed a bike plan/strategy/policy. There was a long redundant innerwest bike plan prepared by IMROC (Inner Metro Region Organisaion of Councils) in the early 80s. Ashfield Council needs to pick up its game.

Leichhardt Council Bike Strategy 2007
http://users.bigpond.net.au/lbug/bikeplanmain.html

Marrickville Council Bike Plan 2007
http://www.marrickville.nsw.gov.au/coun ... keplan.htm

Canada Bay Bike Plan 2005
http://www.canadabay.nsw.gov.au/recreat ... leway.html

City of Sydney Cycle Strategy and Action Plan: 2007-2017
http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/ABOU ... onPlan.asp

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 18 Nov 2008, 09:38

Bill,

My 2 bob.

Cycle lanes within door zones are dangerous. The problem is;

1. Motorists expect cyclists to be within them.
2. Cyclist need to be a safe distance out from the doors.
3. If you dodge a door, you may get hit by a car in the process where if you were already out from the door then no sudden movement is required.
4. Need I even comment on what would happen if you hit the edge of a door.

The Hawthorn Canal underpass for Paramatta Rd would be invaluable.

Cheers,

Mike.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 18 Nov 2008, 10:33

I echo Mike's comment. Give me a bus lane any day and don't show me another bike lane within the door zone.

I think that Carlton Cres b/n Summer Hill and Ashfield has the potential to become a major bike route. The road is wide, surface is good, not excessive number of parked cars. It can be joined up with Hawthorn Canal bikeway. However, I note that the Grosvenor Cres on the other side of the railway track is already designated in some of the bike route maps for inner west.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 18 Nov 2008, 13:48

via LBUG:

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [LBUG] Big increase for Leichhardt Bike Budget- what would you
like done?
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 05:17:25 -0800 (PST)
Reply-To: LBUG@yahoogroups.com.au
To: lbug@yahoogroups.com.au
CC: Neil Tonkin <neil.tonkin@ozemail.com.au>

Hi all

Jamie Parker told me today that Council would increase the bike budget
to about $300,000 next year and maybe as much as $500,000. He asked what
our priorities in the Bike Plan were to spend this on, so if you've got
some ideas let me know. Bike parking is one area where your imput would
be valuable- where would you like to see some?

The current work schedule is at
http://202.148.138.216/IgnitionSuite/up ... hedule.pdf
, if you are interested in wading through and seeing whats in the bike
plan and the priorities assigned. We may be able to add a few more items
or change priorities.

Some ideas:

Whites Ck path and lane needs an upgrade,

the bridge built across Hawthorne Canal at north end to avoid Cafe Bones,

pave the missing link along Callan Park foreshore (also may get a
Foreshores grant to do this),

get the bypass behind the White Bay bus shelters built

remove the broken line of pavers in Darling St (although we shouldnt
have to pay for that)

redo line marking in Catherine St

Balmain bike routes sign posted and improved

bike lanes on Catherine St and Balmain Rd railway overbridges, and bike
crossings of the CWL.

Bike storage area at lights in Darling St at Victoria Rd to allow
cyclists to get out of the left turn lane.

bike parking in shopping streets and other locations -

bob

williamd

Postby williamd » 18 Nov 2008, 16:40

Adrian

Ashfield Council only recently(about 10days ago) decided to create a bike plan - bit late compared to other council's - but better late than never.

Mike and Weyun and Toff.

I agree with your issue with door zones in cycle lanes.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 18 Nov 2008, 20:10

Thanks Bill,

I'm really pleased to hear that Council's made that decision. Thats great news for Ashfiled. If you want my 100 cents worth on bike planning go here. Building a list of bike paths is not the only thing that belongs in a bike plan. The best bike plans look at changing councils development codes (especially for bike parking) and embracing cycling promotion and education within the local community.
Last edited by Adrian E on 18 Nov 2008, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 18 Nov 2008, 20:22

Bill,

Would be great too if the council (if not already), throws its weight and lobbying behind the Dulwich Hill to City Tram/bike/walking corridor proposal.

This will be major infrastructure and will serve the cyclists of Ashfield.

The fact that it would start 100 metres from my house should not be seen as influencing me in any way................

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 19 Nov 2008, 10:31

The fact that it would start 100 metres from my house should not be seen as influencing me in any way................
I agree totally and wholeheartedly with Geoff re the proposal for the light rail / cycling / walking corridor - and that corridor is at least 300m from our place!

Seriously though this all sounds great. The Greens on council would be good allies - I know Marc Rerceretnam from my days as secretary for the Summer Hill Ashfield Greens (SHAG for short - most unfortunate). Marc is a passionate bike rider himself. There are 3 Greens on council.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 19 Nov 2008, 16:15

Your probably already thought about this one;

Integrate with the bike plans of the neighboring councils

williamd

Postby williamd » 25 Nov 2008, 22:14

I have received some good information and feedback.

At tne next Council bicycle path committee meeting I will mentioned the Dulwich Hill to City Tram/cycling/ walking corridor and linking up paths with adjoining Council routes.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 26 Nov 2008, 08:03

Do you have a copy of the 1996 Ashfield bike plan?

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 26 Nov 2008, 08:10

Hi Bill, Is the committee really called the "Ashfield Bicycle Path Committee". Doesn't sound like a good name too me. Howabout just "Ashfield Bike Plan Committee".

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 26 Nov 2008, 15:30

at least it's better than

"Ashfield Cycle Path Committee"

It helps if you say it with a Scouse Accent.

James

williamd

Postby williamd » 27 Nov 2008, 00:05

Mike I do not have a copy of the 96 Ashfield bike plan but I will see if I can locate it. Might be like finding a needle in a hay stack.

Adrian I agree 'Ashfield Bike Plan Committee' it is.

By the way, Ashfield Council Developmnet Control Plan 2007 has requirements for Bicycle parking facilities in new developments and change in use of existing buildings.

Return to “Conversation”