Australia Day Ride

Road cycling & upcoming rides
jimmy

Postby jimmy » 05 Jan 2009, 15:14

For those who have been with the club for a while, we have done the same Australia Day (Monday 26th this year) ride for at least the last 2 years. As it is a nice ride, I thought that it would be a good idea to do it again.

So, the route is to Waterfall and then continue along the old Princess Highway to Helensburg, turn down Lawrence Hargrave Dr to Stanwell Tops and then come back through the National Park. At the bottom of Waterfall, the more adventurous riders can continue through the Park to Audley, while those after a shorter/easier ride can climb to Waterfall and back down the Highway to Sutherland.

Regroup at the Servo (there isn't a huge time difference between each route), and then ride back to Marrickville.

Total distance will be about 113km for the short loop, and about 120km for the longer ride.

Any Takers?

James

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 05 Jan 2009, 16:49

Sounds good, though i'm not sure if i'll get roped into working.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 20 Jan 2009, 06:56

Just a reminder that this is happening on Monday.

We had a good bunch last year and a lot of fun.

James

JM

Postby JM » 20 Jan 2009, 07:53

I won't be there this year as I will be riding back from mcmasters beach on the Monday. I am going up on the Saturday.

Anyone who wants to come some of the way - eg to mt white is welcome or wherever just turn back when you want. I usually go up the pacific highway, through bobbin head and then onto the old pacific highway to gosford them on to mcmasters beach ... mt white is about half way.

So if anyone is interested meet at the north side of the harbour bridge at 6.45am.

pace is relaxed as I am not in a rush - you can always push yourself up the hills if you feel the need to push it!

Rodney

Postby Rodney » 21 Jan 2009, 10:45

Sounds good. I'll be in that. But I'll be going on at Helensburgh down to Lake Illawarra for the Australia Day breakfast day the council puts on. I'll be staying down there once I get there so I won't be able to give anyone a lift. Anyone is welcome to join in on the ride down.

FAswad

Postby FAswad » 22 Jan 2009, 14:07

What time is this train departing from Mick's?

Will be there with a few others.

timyone

Postby timyone » 22 Jan 2009, 23:09

There is an Australia day ride on at heffron! i thought this was it! i was about to put my name down as an inner!
But nah not sure if i want to ride this far :P though it could be good prep for melbourne.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 23 Jan 2009, 06:57

Fred

We will be leaving at 6am.

James

Rodney

Postby Rodney » 23 Jan 2009, 22:58

Will Sunday ride still go ahead, or will this ride replace Sunday? :roll:

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 24 Jan 2009, 12:52

This Monday Ride is an extra ride which is organised outside of the club.

As far as I know the Sunday rides are on as normal.

James

FAswad

Postby FAswad » 26 Jan 2009, 11:44

A quick thank you to Jimmy for organising this Australia Day ride.

The distance, the hills, the descents, the false flats, the flats and the 5 powerhouses on board, made for some great riding.

I will look forward to this next year.

F

Edit: And one more thing. The sight of that massive Dulwich Hill crowd powering into the park was nothing short of magnificent! Keep it going buddies. Once you've picked up the RNP bug, the highway ain't worth your tread.

F

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 26 Jan 2009, 16:36

Fred

Always happy to organise rides on the long weekends that differ from our "normal" Sunday rides.

For anyone who missed it, there were 5 of us in total, Fred, George, Eddie, Liam and myself, we set a cracking pace the whole way there and the whole way back, so I ended up with an average of over 31km/hr. I am sure that Liam who beat me convincingly up the hills averaged even higher.

Well done to insomniac who joined us as we turned on to the Grand Parade and then stayed with us until just short of the end of the Kingsway. The pace was very high and he exemplified himself by staying with us for as long as he did.

We didn't come up the Otford Rd, we simply followed the Princes Highway to the Helensburg Roundabout, and then went down Lawrence Hargrave Dr to Bald Hill.

We had a ball coming back through the park, and I then bid the others good bye at Sutherland and rode back by myself. I was throughly trashed by the end as I had to ride against 4 rested fit strong riders, as opposed to me who had ridden on both Saturday and Sunday. Even so, I was happy with my effort and will gladly do it again.

Thanks again to those who came along. It was thoroughly enjoyable.

James

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 27 Jan 2009, 15:16

If anyone is interested, here is the route map and profile of the ride

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/australia ... 0484617525

James

Return to “Road”