Early1950s Alcone 'Road Special' built in M'ville

A place for those keen on vintage and retro bikes - steel is real.
marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 12 Jun 2012, 17:36

I bought this as a standalone frame late last year - see earlier posting. Paintwork badly damaged but the essence still there.
Put it together with as period correct parts - as much as I could afford. I strongly believe this bike had an Osgear set up, but couldnt afford to replace this.

The Alcon name is significant to the Marrickville area. Alcon Cycle Works was set up at 312 Victoria Road (now a Thai takeaway) in about 1948 by Alvia Mervyn Connolly (1918-1974). He preferred to be called Bill. The shop operated till about 1970.

Old Bill Connolly used the name 'Alcone' for his good road bikes, maybe because the 'e' at the end of Alcon may have sounded more European (?).

Bill had been a former bike racer and by 1943 was building bikes. The name Alcon derives directly from his name, ALvia CONnolly. Another Marrickville bike shop owner, Mike Mazza was associated with Bill and Alcon and sold Alcon bikes after Bill died in the early 1970s. Mick still hangs around the Marrickville road area on weekends.

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 21 Jun 2012, 20:20

Found some adverts for Alcone bikes. Was told Lionel Cox was a regular fixture down at the Canterbury Velodrome at Tempe and a longtime DHBC member.

Return to “Vintage Bicycles”