Nowra Short Course Road Handicap Race

Road cycling & upcoming rides
geoff m

Postby geoff m » 17 Jan 2010, 20:57

My fourth race over 1 year at Nowra.

Probably about 30 people started this morning. Was the 42km Short Course like the one we all did March last year.

About 6 groups of around 3 - 6 people rolled out with about 12 minutes from Limit to Scratch (of 2 people). I was after Limit at 2 minutes.

One of our 5 in our bunch joked before starting, "Remember boys, easy up the hill" (first part of course is long winding hill about 3kms long). Then we were pushing 36kms per hour up the hill, my tongue was hanging out and the guy doing the speed peeled off and laughed, "Ha, you mean don't go that fast". He turned around and we had blown up the guy who made the original comments - poor guy's race was over in the first 500metres. Nice guy, on the front........

Then there were 4. We were doing a good pace and caught the Limit bunch in front of us about half way. Only one stayed with us.

The course is about three circuits and when rounding the lollipop turns, we saw the whole rest of the field had come together and were chasing us. We went into lap 3 with about 600metres ahead of them, but they caught us with about 2 kms into hill again, at 32km mark and wizzed by. I hung on, but being a hill, was hanging on the back and got spat out as they rounded the lollipop turnaround.

I was then time triallling for the next 9 kms, managing to stay between some guys dropped off the back of them and the rest of the field behind me.

Came 15th of 23 finishers.

As usual, its a fantastic place for club racing.

They are doing the 52km long course (once out, once back) at 9am on Sunday 31st. It Graded Scratch so there will probably be about 8 to 12 per group. Not sure If I will be there or not, but I recommend for those wanting to go away for the weekend, you should consider this race. (Graded scratch was the same DHBC did when we all went down last time and raced)

PeterOS

Postby PeterOS » 18 Jan 2010, 16:23

Hi Geoff,
Good report brings back some good memories of that course.

Are you thinking of heading down that way on the 20/02/10, Cycling NSW has a crit at Husski on that Saturday (5.00pm), I'll be down there to do a anther sort of a race on the Sunday but still interested in doing this one let me know if your interested.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 18 Jan 2010, 21:46

Nothing planned on Nowra Velo Club Calender. Will let you know if I'm going down.

Return to “Road”