Extra Skinsuits

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Trouty

Postby Trouty » 29 Dec 2009, 21:52

I noticed last night at the Dunc Gray there were still a lot of people that didn't have a skinsuit, due to:

a) not getting their order in on time
b) didn't think they needed wanted one when we originally placed orders

Speaking to most of them, they would definately like one, but of course no one wants to wait 8 months. So I guess I need to find out from Wieyun - if there is a big enough order in (eg: say 5 - 10) can we get Nalini to do another run, and how long would it take?

The 2nd option is to find some one locally - which I am happy to investigate. If anyone wants a skinsuit due to not ordering one last time, or that they just want an extra one -can you please paste put up a post and add to the list below:

Amy x 1 (XS) - short sleeve
Camilla x 1 (S) - short sleeve
Sean Collie x 1 (large) - short sleeve
Ian Deckner x 1 (large) - Ian can you confirm? short sleeve

Julio

Postby Julio » 30 Dec 2009, 06:50

Julio x 1 (Med) short sleeve

orphic

Postby orphic » 30 Dec 2009, 08:43

Victoria x 1 - short sleeve (will post back about size in the next few days)

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 30 Dec 2009, 09:11

Depending on who we go with the sizing may have to be re-submitted again anyway. I will get confirmation from Wieyun in the New Year if he can do a repeat order, and in the meantime I am making inquiries with Hot Designs locally to check price and turnaround from them.

I think if we got atleast 10 orders or more it may be cost effective. Some people might even want 2. I am glad I ordered the extra one on the original Nalini order.

christian

Postby christian » 30 Dec 2009, 09:27

You may also want to look at champion systems, http://champ-sys.com.au
The minimum is 10 of any one type, then singles of others. The prices are quite good as well, around $150.

This is the company I was looking at when we had the idea to get some hats made, I may get back onto that one once we break even with the bidons.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 30 Dec 2009, 10:20

You may also want to look at champion systems, http://champ-sys.com.au
The minimum is 10 of any one type, then singles of others. The prices are quite good as well, around $150.
Thanks Christian, I will send them off an email aswell

kiwiames

Postby kiwiames » 30 Dec 2009, 10:53

Amy x 2 - short and long sleeve (XS or S - depends which supplier)

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 30 Dec 2009, 12:09

Latest order as of 29/12

David Lamb - 1 x (Medium/small??) short sleeve
Trouty x 1 - ( xs) short sleeve
----------------------------
So far we have 9.

We could possibly get the club to buy a few spares - give some as prizes or for stock, newbies will definately buy.

micklan

Postby micklan » 30 Dec 2009, 14:38

do you really need a skin suit to race track?

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 30 Dec 2009, 14:49

do you really need a skin suit to race track?
Yes...makes you go faster....well makes some of us go faster, didn't seem to make a difference to me last night. Oh yep - and because they are red - they go twice as fast as a usual skinsuit.

orphic

Postby orphic » 30 Dec 2009, 14:55

Depending on what the cost is I might decide to get two.

Thanks for looking into this Trouty.

Julio

Postby Julio » 30 Dec 2009, 15:24

Depending on what the cost is I might decide to get two.

Thanks for looking into this Trouty.
same same if the price is right I might want a long and a short sleeve suit.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 30 Dec 2009, 21:18

David Lamb's size confirmed

David Lamb - 1 x Medium short sleeve
So far we have 9.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 30 Dec 2009, 22:31

Just got back home. The minimum for an order is 10 but the more units we order, the cheaper it will be. Further, I think the club should stay with one supplier for the sake of convenience and volume discount. Ordering from multiple suppliers will also likely lead to inconsistent colours and designs. If there's a technical issue with Nalini, then we should discuss and further consider club's apparel strategy. Finally, we'll need to obtain authority from the executive committee on any official club gear.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 30 Dec 2009, 22:57

David Lamb's size confirmed

Ian Deckner x 1 (xlarge) - short sleeve
Mark Lacey - short sleeve - size medium?
So far we have 10
Now there are officially 10 - unless the club wants to order any extra's. This will be the final number.

Like I said - I was only getting other quotes as an option for timing with a local supplier. 5 - 6 weeks seems to be the standard on approval. Once I get the prices - I will let the executives know, and I guess Wieyun - you will submit approx time and price with Nalina. Given they already have it set up - I would imagine it would be quicker this time.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 30 Dec 2009, 22:57

FINAL NUMBER:

Ian Deckner x 1 (xlarge) - short sleeve
Mark Lacey - short sleeve - size medium?

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 30 Dec 2009, 23:19

Now there are officially 10 - unless the club wants to order any extra's. This will be the final number.

Like I said - I was only getting other quotes as an option for timing with a local supplier. 5 - 6 weeks seems to be the standard on approval. Once I get the prices - I will let the executives know, and I guess Wieyun - you will submit approx time and price with Nalina. Given they already have it set up - I would imagine it would be quicker this time.
I am happy to let the executives decide on the frequency of apparel order, but we should bear in mind that each small order we make, it would take away a portion of our volume discount for all items in a large order, and possibly delay a suitable time (in terms of cost effectiveness) for the next club order. As a devil's advocate, I think we should consider the absolute urgency of an order vs benefits to the club as a whole. Let's discuss.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 31 Dec 2009, 10:56

I think the order needs to go ahead with Nalini as people really want to ride in the "official" DHBC gear for the track and everyone except the very skinny or very short seems pleased with the outcomes of the previous order.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 31 Dec 2009, 12:44

The difficulty with skinsuit is that there are way more measurements that need to match than just the jersey or bib. So as Stuart said, there will always be compromises for some. A good local tailor will be the go.

As for the next official order, I've been discussing with quite a few within the club about a winter order from Nalini, and given the time frame, it may need to go in within 4-6 weeks to "catch" winter, so we can combine and include a new skinsuit order with that.

At present, I am thinking that a club wind vest would work well in terms of club winter appearance and the design can easily be adapted from the existing jersey design ie. Minimal design iteration time. Also let me know what item/s you are interested in and we can look into it. Just bear in mind that we are just starting to develop our club's apparel line and with a very limited budget, so we are going to focus on limited item/s at this point to avoid running into the red. Over time, I would like to see the club accumulate a healthy apparel kitty so that the club can offer a wider variety of items as well as maintaining a good stock level, without asking for prepayment from interested members. Patience is sought from all in the meantime. I'll start a new thread once I've gotten over the Christmas/New Year chaos to specifically discuss this next step.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 31 Dec 2009, 14:12

I think this is being made way too difficult than it needs to be.

I have already sent the email enquiries out so I may as well look at the findings - it's not going to hurt anyone. Hot Designs are in fact already doing a special skin suit order for DHBC (2 skinsuits) as a part of the RAW series prize. So if those skin suits come back ok, and the findings are reasonable re price and timing for 10 - I don't think it is an option we should just ignore, given some people want to represent the club in track club colours/kit. They already have our artwork. I think EVERYONE is pleased with the skinsuits (even the extra short and skinny), it's just that some people didn't order on time.

Like I keep saying ...let's just wait for the results, and we can talk till the cows come home later.

timyone

Postby timyone » 31 Dec 2009, 17:49

I reckon it is ok to get another destribtor, that one took years too long?!
But seriously ditch the forum version of doing it, this copy and pasting a list drives me mad. Get people to pm it to you if they want to do it on here, but id say get a form that says size and what you want, and tick boxes, then give a due date, maybe next week some time :D

Keep the thread bellow 2 pages?! you have seriously no idea how much the copy and paste method annoys me?!? i think the only time i dont mind it is in the flat tyre thread.

I reckon the wind vest idea is amazingly good?!!!!! ive totally wanted one for ages, then i can wear other things in winter, and still look dh!!

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 31 Dec 2009, 18:25

But seriously ditch the forum version of doing it, this copy and pasting a list drives me mad. Get people to pm it to you if they want to do it on here, but id say get a form that says size and what you want, and tick boxes, then give a due date, maybe next week some time :D

Keep the thread bellow 2 pages?! you have seriously no idea how much the copy and paste method annoys me?!? i think the only time i dont mind it is in the flat tyre thread.

I reckon the wind vest idea is amazingly good?!!!!! ive totally wanted one for ages, then i can wear other things in winter, and still look dh!!
The skinsuit order inquiry is capped at 10. All the people that do track that would want a skinsuit have been approached or have submitted their interest so there is no need to forum it any longer. I will await the results.

You are right though about the wind vest, maybe we could order this through Nalini later. I would definately get one of those.

micklan

Postby micklan » 31 Dec 2009, 19:50

I don't want to ride nude thou :D

micklan

Postby micklan » 31 Dec 2009, 19:52

[quote="timyone"]
I reckon the wind vest idea is amazingly good?!!!!! ive totally wanted one for ages, then i can wear other things in winter, and still look dh!![/quote

wind vest is a goer

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 01 Jan 2010, 00:00

Tim, I hope you understand that "long" is relative and how product development works in real life. FYI, it doesn't happen with a flick of your pencil.

One can ignore consensus, due process, accept crapy jobs and get "it" in 4-5 weeks. For the 7 months or so since authority from the club's EC, the $11+k total order of over 120 units was not one that we can afford to get any part of it wrong. Further, we had to start near raw on graphics and build up a design file and account with a new manufacturer. These all take time. Now we have these basic functions established, I expect a much more expedited process, subject to ongoing club authority and budget.

A second distributor may be worthwhile if we can generate significant volume, but unfortunately (or fortunately) we are not a "super club" with deep pockets, so putting on multiple suppliers for different product lines will just dilute our leverage on price and double the time/effort of those involved in the process. Some of the "big" clubs in Sydney can provide instant gratification on apparels, but we are not there yet and hope we can get there in another 6 months time on jerseys. If there's a continued demand for skinsuits and the club has the budget, we may even consider building up a club stock for them.

Finally and as sought repeatedly, if there's any dissatisfaction with the products of our present supplier (Nalini), then please speak up so that these can be accounted and addressed.
Last edited by weiyun on 01 Jan 2010, 00:19, edited 4 times in total.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 01 Jan 2010, 00:01

I don't want to ride nude thou :D
Emperor's NEW clothes? :lol:

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 01 Jan 2010, 08:04

FINALLY - AND I WILL CLOSE THIS OFF....

NOONE is complaining, we all understand why the process took long initially and appreciate all the efforts you put in. All that is happening is that I am getting prices and eta for 10 skinsuits with a company that already has our artwork. Weiyun - if you are holding off for an order with Nalini for a bigger order later I understand, you need to do nothing else.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 01 Jan 2010, 08:48

Jo, my earlier reply was specific to Tim's complaint on time and to address why a 2nd supplier may not be of benefit to the club. So pls relax.

Return to “Conversation”