Heffron 25.07.09

Road cycling & upcoming rides
othy

Postby othy » 25 Jul 2009, 16:40

I was the only DHBC rider out there today. It was my first time in B grade, so I was a bit nervous and doing it on my own.

No wind worth mentioning for a day at Heffron. A fairly large field in B grade (probably the biggest of all grades).

It was fast from the start. A lot more surges and attacks compared to the lower grades Tactically, as I didn't really know what to expect, I tried to keep myself around the front. Hoping to avoid the surging of the rear. A lot more over taking occurs in B grade, so I found myself at the back a fair bit anyway.

Dominic was attacking every other lap then sitting in to recover, only to go again. Very strong rider and was obviously marked by a few others.

I didn't really feel until they said 10 to go that I was capable of making it to the end. I think my warmup routine needs some work as a 1 lap roll around just doesn't work. I suffer for a few laps at pace before my legs start to feel better.

With a bit over 1 lap to go the bunch is riding 6 across very slowly down the straight. We pass the start line and there is no bell, but I think everyone assumes it is the final lap anyway.

I'm on the inside going into the squircle, don't really like cornering with 4-5 across so I attack out of the second corner to string it out a bit. Have a big kick and then my right calf cramps up. End up not taking the next corner particularly well and lose all my momentum on the edge of the grass. Slow right down and wait for the bunch who don't come past, just group up again. I try to pedal the cramp out and it starts to dissappear over the next 200 meters.

At this point I think I have a target on my back from the first kick and others believe I will go again. Particularly because I sat in most of the race to see what was going to happen. So despite my slowing speed I'm not sliding back down the bunch. I hope no one was expecting a lead out, because it probably wasn't going to happen. I get to the final corner, having nothing left, my leg hurts so I slow up and watch the bunch disappear to the finish line.

I made it to the end of my first B grade race, which was my goal at the start. Next one is to finish in the sprint.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 25 Jul 2009, 18:42

Well done Tim! A good result. I actually rolled past heffron today on a training ride around 3:20 but I didn't realised it started so early.

I'm hoping to race again soon. Probably in D grade!

timyone

Postby timyone » 25 Jul 2009, 22:41

Nice work! They seem to always pay attention to us there though!
I guess sitting near the front they watch any one that could just be there for a break away.

MarkL

Postby MarkL » 25 Jul 2009, 23:29

I agree with you Tim, I need more than a 1 lap warm up to ride at pace from the start.

timyone

Postby timyone » 26 Jul 2009, 00:04

why do you lot drive out there then?!
its not like your on fancy race wheels that you cant ride out there on!

micklan

Postby micklan » 26 Jul 2009, 13:14

Nice report Tim. Good racing

(I guess Alex R was out due to his bike being fixed - otherwise he's there each Sat)

othy

Postby othy » 26 Jul 2009, 13:26

I think most of the usual DHBC racers skipped it as they were doing the State ITT at Calga today.

othy

Postby othy » 27 Jul 2009, 18:23

Results are up - 38.15km/h. Not exactly slow, so I'm pleased with finishing.

http://www.randwickbotanycc.org.au/Resu ... y_2009.htm

You can see me in the sprint photo -

I'm the little red dot in the background!

timyone

Postby timyone » 27 Jul 2009, 21:09

lol!!
man confidis guy is always in the wrong grade!!!
how funny, hes won two weeks in a row, he sits in the rest of the race.

Return to “Road”