What a load of crap...

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
jimmy

Postby jimmy » 26 Jun 2008, 08:33

found on the SMH site today. Don't get too worked up, it is in their heckler section.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/opinion/put- ... 38075.html

I often think that for 1 week every year, everyone who cycles to work should use their cars instead or public transport, and see how much of an issue that suddenly causes.

James

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 26 Jun 2008, 12:45

Mitchell Lawlor must be incredibly unfit.

There was a study done be St Vincents Hospital that showed that a cyclist breves in less fumes than a motorist.

fenn_paddler

Postby fenn_paddler » 26 Jun 2008, 13:47

found on the SMH site today. Don't get too worked up, it is in their heckler section.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/opinion/put- ... 38075.html

I often think that for 1 week every year, everyone who cycles to work should use their cars instead or public transport, and see how much of an issue that suddenly causes.

James
It's a *censored*-stir...no doubt about that, and it's quite funny.

But I had another read and I think much of it's correct. Here are the parts I agree with:

<Cycling is trumpeted as a panacea for all the world's ills from obesity to global warming.>

Correct - this is claimed by many cyclists.

<The reality is arriving at work following a near-death experience,>

near-death: Certainly the case in Sydney sometimes.

<a lung full of exhaust,>

Likely true. (I haven't seen the article Mike referred to)

<sweaty and needing a shower>

Correct

<The truth is people prefer driving.>

Correct.

<the reality is that 99 per cent of us aren't interested in being converted.>

Correct.

< Holland and Denmark are held up as shining lights of the cyclocracy; but none of the cheer squad has noticed that these countries are flat.>

Correct.

<Cyclists respond aggressively to any perceived threat to their space but form the largest group of unpunished law-breakers on the road.>

Correct.

<I patiently move lanes to pass a cyclist only to find they have scooted up the inside to hold us all up yet again.>

Correct.

<Cyclists are fortunate to be a minority group that has managed to claim the moral high ground for their dangerous pursuits>

Correct.

Cheers,
Alan (devil's advocate).

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 26 Jun 2008, 13:55

I think he should read his council's recycling guidlines, I'm pretty sure human remains can't be recycled. 8)

I believe i need a tougher frame pump though, as my current one doesn't give me a great ability to bonnet wack. :lol:

timyone

Postby timyone » 26 Jun 2008, 16:42

lol man as the petrol prices go up there will be more bikes, it doesnt really matter what he thinks at the moment. And yeah the cars are stuffing up the place (lol as is my beastie motor bike :D)

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 27 Jun 2008, 01:10

I think this is real not a piss take & requires lots of letters to the editor - it is legal to undertake at lights when the cars are stopped.

141 No overtaking etc to the left of a vehicle
(1) A driver (except the rider of a bicycle) must not overtake a
vehicle to the left of the vehicle unless:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/bi ... rules.html

Cyclists also have some special rights, which include:
Travelling to the front of a line of traffic on the left hand side of the stopped vehicles

fenn_paddler

Postby fenn_paddler » 27 Jun 2008, 08:19

I think this is real not a piss take & requires lots of letters to the editor - it is legal to undertake at lights when the cars are stopped.

Travelling to the front of a line of traffic on the left hand side of the stopped vehicles
I think the column articulates some of the common moans about cyclists. The "going to the front of the line at a red light" is a pretty common whinge. I mostly sit behind the traffic at red lights on my commute - I think drivers acknowledge that by giving me a little more room when they pass. I've also read a few articles that recommend no queue jumping. Here's one from the SCC that suggests "At lights and Intersections, stay in position behind queued vehicles rather than rolling up the side of stopped traffic": http://www.sydneycyclingclub.org.au/Etiquette.pdf.

Maybe it depends on the circumstances, the road, the speed of traffic etc.

Cheers,
Alan

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 27 Jun 2008, 08:28

If I remembered correctly, cyclists aren't allowed to pass by the left of stationary vehicles at traffic lights if there are left turning vehicles.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 27 Jun 2008, 09:18

There you go, you learn something new every day.

Technically he hasn't written it in a way to say that cyclists have broken the law
I patiently move lanes to pass a cyclist only to find they have scooted up the inside to hold us all up yet again.
But this is funny, the guy recons that bicycles cause global warming.
They add to global warming by forcing cars to spend longer on the road.
Strange how he hasn't suggested that he can help reduce his impact on global warming by not driving his car.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 27 Jun 2008, 09:30

Hey, don't get too serious with writings like that. It's like a debate, deliberate colourful over exaggeration is there for the entertainment value.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 27 Jun 2008, 09:33

A driver got agro with me this morning because I was in his lane. Didn't matter that I was traveling at the same speed as the cars. If I'd pulled up at the lights with him I would of laughed in his face.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 27 Jun 2008, 09:35

Actually the environmental comment reminds me of the marketing for Artificial, ie synthetic grass.... its environmentally friendly because you don't need to water it.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 27 Jun 2008, 10:06

A driver got agro with me this morning because I was in his lane.
Well, you did admit it was HIS lane. So he is justified. Should try to ride on shared lanes in future. ;)

fenn_paddler

Postby fenn_paddler » 27 Jun 2008, 10:28

A driver got agro with me this morning because I was in his lane. Didn't matter that I was traveling at the same speed as the cars. If I'd pulled up at the lights with him I would of laughed in his face.
Must be a friday thing. I didn't get the aggro, but I did get an older lady in a hyundai coming into a three-way roundabout from the left wanting to share my space - I wasn't going that fast & was able to tighten my right turn and accommodate her beside me. Not much you can do except mouth "what the bloody hell are you doing?!?!?" Appeared to have her grand daughter in the front passenger seat. Probably nattering away with less than 5% of the brain focussed on driving.

Return to “Conversation”