Historic Club Member Query

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Casey

Postby Casey » 29 May 2013, 08:14

I have temporarily joined DHBC in subtifuge, (- please do forgive me), to see if anyone can help me find out about my "Uncle Bruce" (McPherson) who was in the Dulwich Hill Amateur Cycling Club (he thought it was just a shop front somewhere that did as a meeting place for the cyclists) for about 20 years before the war (not quite right as he was born in 1929). Although he doesn't have his bikes anymore (though he did give his last bike to one of his sons- Graeme or Colin (?), who both live and work somewhere in Sydney), he can still remember the bamboo constructions with silk woven tyres and the 120 miles he used to do on training rides.) My English born son, Ben, would love a photo of his great Uncle Bruce, for the wall of his new bike shop in Ambleside in the Lakes District. Is there anyone out there who could help with a thread for me to follow, to trace Uncle Bruce and possible his training team? Not sure if this is the right way to go about it, but hope it's OK to try? Many thanks.

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 29 May 2013, 11:09

Unless someone else has a better suggestion, suggest you get in touch with Mr Al Sumner of New Canterbury Rd, Hurlstone Park. I believe Al is in his mid 70s, although several years younger may know your uncle or know of others who would. Not sure who'd have photos. There is an official history of DHBC which largely concentrates on the post WW2 period. There might be photos in there. I don't have a copy of this extremely illusive book (Hi Lindsay!!).
PM me if you want Al's phone number.
Regards
marc

Casey

Postby Casey » 29 May 2013, 20:36

Wow! Fast pigeons you Aussies.... I only posted at midnight and have morning mail!!! (Thanks Marc).
Will follow the pigeon seed trail you kindly suggested. Meanwhile if there's anyone out there who fancies stoopping with us at our Bowness-on-Windermere B&B to cheer on the tour of Britain flashing past on the second stage Mon 16th Sept, - You're most welcome.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 30 May 2013, 08:15

Believe it or not but I have been to Bowness on Windermere. My brother got married in The Lakes District and we stopped on the way through... It's definitely worth a visit!

Return to “Conversation”