Race Report - West Coast Masters

Road cycling & upcoming rides
paul

Postby paul » 28 May 2012, 00:16

Looking for a bit of racing in Perth, I consulted Google and found the Western Masters Cycling Club. I called Wayne, the club president, who said I could ride as a 'visitor,' but would not be eligible for prize money in the unlikely event of a win.

There were 5 grades, and as a suspected burglar, I was put in B with about 25 others. The race was a 70 km road race, 10 laps of a flat 10 km loop on quiet country roads south of Perth. I lasted 1 lap before being dropped. Then rode 5 laps alone, apart from a brief stint on the back of A grade, was lapped by B grade, and called it quits. So in a fortnight, I’ve been dropped out of road races on both sides of the country. Legs a bit weary after the race, plus 70 km round trip to and from the start.

The WMCC seemed a very good club, they road race every Sunday through the winter on a few courses outside Perth. Over summer they ride crits. The grades seemed about the same as Waratahs. I’d get dropped out of B there as well.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 28 May 2012, 05:59

A suspected burglar of no prize money! You better go back again, hopefully they'll relegate you.

taybellz

Postby taybellz » 28 May 2012, 07:24

Lol. West Australians are always suspicious of the east coast trying to take their treasure.

Have you got up to Freo yet? 5:30 - 6:00am that place is like a bee hive of cyclists every morning.

Return to “Road”