Avatars & Photoshop Skills (moved posts)

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Philip

Postby Philip » 25 Feb 2012, 18:43

[mod]these posts were moved from the Joomla thread[/mod]

Not much use to you in any of the design or coding functions but if at some point you need some photoshopping done then let me know. I am a photographer, still life though not sports, but use photoshop everyday and I'm happy to help out if you need.

You know someone might want to loose a few years or a few kilos the easy way. ;)

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 25 Feb 2012, 19:53

Hi Philip, do you know how to fix the bug which limits the number of links in a single post? Stuart can advise

Philip

Postby Philip » 25 Feb 2012, 20:57

I can fix photos but that's about it. I can't even figure out how to get a picture under my name on this forum. It won't accept anything I try.

So sorry no, in fact I don't even understand the problem.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 26 Feb 2012, 07:05

I can fix photos but that's about it. I can't even figure out how to get a picture under my name on this forum. It won't accept anything I try. So sorry no, in fact I don't even understand the problem.
Phillip - You can't put a photo in your signature block ..... The system will not allow it (that's what you're trying to do). You can however put in an avatar under your username by navigating to: User Control Panel (top menu) / Options (left side menu) / Edit Avatar
Thanks for volunteering though, if we need some PS expertise you can be sure I'll come calling.

Philip

Postby Philip » 26 Feb 2012, 15:19

The signature attempt was a failed attempt, but the edit avatar also failed, I can't seem to get an image down to 6kb. I think it might be a Mac thing. No matter how small I edit the image to, once I save it it won't so below 19kb. I've had the same trouble before. Never mind I'll just have to be one of those mythical "faceless men"

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 26 Feb 2012, 15:49

The signature attempt was a failed attempt, but the edit avatar also failed, I can't seem to get an image down to 6kb. I think it might be a Mac thing. No matter how small I edit the image to, once I save it it won't so below 19kb. I've had the same trouble before. Never mind I'll just have to be one of those mythical "faceless men"
Nothing to do with the Mac. It's a question of what format (jpeg, bmp, gif), size of image and compression level. Further, get rid of the icon that's often associated with the file. On a Mac, do a Get Info on the file -> Click on the icon image to highlight -> Delete.

Philip

Postby Philip » 26 Feb 2012, 17:54

thought you might have been on to something with the delete icon, I hadn't tried that before. So I made an image 10px by 10px (300 bytes, yes bytes not kilobytes) then saved it as a jpeg at 0 quality, ie max compression. Once closed the file when viewed in the finder is still 32kb, then I delete the icon and I can get it down to 16kb. still no good.

so somehow a 300byte image saves as a 32kb file. I have no idea what's in the rest of the data.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 27 Feb 2012, 08:03

thought you might have been on to something with the delete icon, I hadn't tried that before. So I made an image 10px by 10px (300 bytes, yes bytes not kilobytes) then saved it as a jpeg at 0 quality, ie max compression. Once closed the file when viewed in the finder is still 32kb, then I delete the icon and I can get it down to 16kb. still no good.

so somehow a 300byte image saves as a 32kb file. I have no idea what's in the rest of the data.
This is to do with block allocation, an empty file on a 32 bit filesystem will take up 4Kb of diskspace. Disks are divided up into blocks.

Ignore what the operating system is telling you and try and upload the file, the system should allow you to upload and then it will check the size of the file as is being reported by the filesystem it is on (Linux, probably ext3 or ext4), which is a better system.

Typically, as disks got bigger, they increased the size of the block allocation, which meant that smaller files take up more space, but there is less overhead.

James

Philip

Postby Philip » 27 Feb 2012, 08:51

Thanks James, I've tried to up load the file but still get the "file must be between 0 and 6kb" message.

Really it's not a problem though, I'm happy to be faceless.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 27 Feb 2012, 09:34

Sounds like it's an issue Stuart will need to sort out then. Most of us had inserted our avatar some time back.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 27 Feb 2012, 14:41

Thanks James, I've tried to up load the file but still get the "file must be between 0 and 6kb" message. Really it's not a problem though, I'm happy to be faceless.
Hi all - this is really a thread hijack but anyway .... see here for a on-line site that will create an avatar of the correct size http://dhbc.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1017

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 09 Apr 2012, 16:06

I'm trying to upload documents for the AGM to the DHBC website. It's in Joomla and I can't work out how to upload a PDF through media manager which seems to be the place to upload stuff. The online help goes to a 404 page (unhelpful). According to the error message, PDF is unsupported, which seems unlikely but you never know.

So, if you are able to point me in the direction or even better do it for me, I will really appreciate it. However:

And if the answer is "insert this html code" please write that bit of code for me :)

And if the answer is a link to the Joomla help wiki - thanks I looked there already. I've forgotten how to read that stuff.

And if the answer is "we need a plug-in that we don't have" and you know how to do this - can you volunteer to get that plug-in and install it please?

thanks Eleri

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 09 Apr 2012, 19:48

Eleri - call me Tue. Send me the PDF and tell me where you want it to appear.

Return to “Conversation”