Change in starting point for Sat & Sun bunch rides 20/08/11

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 03 Aug 2011, 15:25

Hi all,

This has been on the agenda for quite some time and has previously been discussed on the forum. As Mick Mazza's bike shop is being replaced by a bakery (to be opened soon) who will likely be open early in the morning and need their footpath space for deliveries, the starting point for both Saturday Slowies and Sunday morning Waterfall rides needs to be changed.

As a result it has been decided in an agreement with the Marrickville Road Cafe that this would be a good location for both rides to begin from. As the Marrickville road cafe feels such a move will be beneficial for business they have offered the club in return:

- a storage box which will be able to store club jerseys/hats/water bottles so that sales can occur from here and will be more accessible to people who do not ride at the velodrome and find week nights inconvenient.
- A track pump to fix unwanted flats pre ride.
-Tubes for those who use them all up during the ride and need a spare to get home.
- As well as 6am pre ride coffees for anyone who feels they need a pre ride kick.

The route will not change. From Marrickville road cafe bunches will ride up Marrickville Road to Illawarra rd and turn right on Saturdays and left on Sundays. This will mean that anyone unaware of the change in starting point though confused will be picked up by the bunch here.

So beginning in two weeks from Saturday the 20th of August rides will now commence on the footpath outside of the Marrickville road cafe (where the rides currently conclude).

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 03 Aug 2011, 15:50

i'll make the early start just for the 6am pre ride coffee!!!

rhys

Postby rhys » 03 Aug 2011, 17:02

Nice of them to support us like that, perhaps we could put them on our next hat/jersey or something like that (provided they were keen).

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 03 Aug 2011, 18:22

Nice of them to support us like that, perhaps we could put them on our next hat/jersey or something like that (provided they were keen).
The DHBC jersey is sacrosanct and no advertising shall appear upon it. Caps may be different.

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 03 Aug 2011, 18:54

stuart,
perhaps a framed jersey in appreciation kinda thing to adorn their wall or bathroom and simultaineously mark our territory!

i will happily chuck in a fifty to show support for any organisation that supports us
dougie

Julio

Postby Julio » 03 Aug 2011, 21:41

The DHBC jersey is sacrosanct and no advertising shall appear upon it.
This

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 03 Aug 2011, 22:28

i'll make the early start just for the 6am pre ride coffee!!!
I think i've sorted out my home espresso situation finally, but i could end up at rides on time with coffee on offer.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 04 Aug 2011, 20:49

Sounds good! Nice negotiation work Simon. Their muffins are amazing - no comparison in Sydney (that I know of!)

orphic

Postby orphic » 04 Aug 2011, 22:38

Pre-ride coffee is heaps rad!! Looking forward to the 20th :)

Mark H

Postby Mark H » 05 Aug 2011, 06:34

Great starting point and great idea the cafe storing club merchandise and spare tubes

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 05 Aug 2011, 18:56

Here's a link to the start point. be aware there is a medium strip and a high fence here so crossing the road is difficult. You'll either need to come from the Victoria Rd end or access the foothpath from further up Marrickville Rd at the pedestrian lights at Gladstone St (and of course you'll walk your bike down the footpath) :roll:

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 18 Aug 2011, 12:02

Remember this starts this weekend people. Cafe open from 6:00am for coffee but we leave at 6:30am sharp.

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 18 Aug 2011, 12:43

morning coffee order will be in at 6am sharp! can't wait!!!

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 01 Sep 2011, 09:37

Here's my feedback re the new starting point: I'd say this starting point is pretty cr*p. It's really hard / dangerous / inconvenient to access from the Dulwich Hill (western?) side. The cafe is NOT open before we leave, there's less room on the footpath and for slowies it means we have to ride up Marrickville Rd with impatient early morning traffic (suggest that this route will need to change to take the first right at Frampton ave, then left into Sydenham Rd and right into Illawarra, or just go straight onto and along Victoria Rd which I'd say would be the easiest, if not safest option).

I've not seen a sign of the 'storage' we were to get and as they're not open before we leave on Sunday's and are still setting up on Saturday's it's a moot point anyway. Staff had also not been made aware that cyclists might turn up expecting coffee at 6:00am and neither had they the time to make coffee (machine not even on yet). Storing the jerseys there is a good idea but has this been done?

Lastly, the Sunday Waterfall ride now goes straight onto Victoria Rd at the start so no use waiting along the old route on Illawarra Rd (Hi Geoff M!!). This at least is a positive as we don't need to do that right hand turn out of Renwick St onto Victoria and we miss that early hill on Illawarra. However, watch out as you descend and turn left under the railway bridge on Victoria as there are several long and twisting tyre size cracks in the road surface that could easily cause a crash.

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 28 Sep 2011, 18:53

Is there any update on the availability of the storage at the start point? I'm hopeful that I will be able to get a jersey without the need for the trip to the track :)

Return to “Road”