Tour Down Under 2012

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Dougie

Postby Dougie » 02 Jun 2011, 18:58

The early bird entries have opened up. Who's in?

Bupa challenge tour (stage 4) two kings of the mountain and 138k of pain.

see the link for details

http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/getinvo ... nformation

time to train......

cheers Dougie

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 05 Jun 2011, 11:25

After your great reports from last year got us all fired up there is a group of us currently in planning stage for this looking at accommodation etc. People are looking at going for times of between 2 and 8 days - some driving some flying. Jo & I are heading down for 4 nights - Wed 18th to the 22nd. We plan on doing the 138k challenge ride on the Friday.

Logistics for accommodation are proving a little difficult as people settle on amount of time away. Will know more in 1-2 weeks.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 06 Jun 2011, 18:28

As for training, will we be seeing you Dougie on Sunday's for Waterfall ?

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 21 Jun 2011, 15:09

I'm heading down for a cycling conference the same week. Looking to take the week off work, so I'd love to do Bupa challenge.
When do you need to know?

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 21 Jun 2011, 17:36

Jo & I plus Michele P & Mark H are staying in Glenelg in one place for 4 nights while four others are also staying in a house in Glenelg for 7 nights in which I believe there is currently a spare room with 2 x singles beds. We're about to sign up for the Friday ride as I think this year there is a limit on numbers?

Peter T

Postby Peter T » 21 Jun 2011, 18:04

Hi all.
Have been reading the fine print about the Bupa ride on 20 Jan. There are various distances, but the magnet is the 138 k double KOM stage.
If we form a team of 5 or more, we can get a team name printed on the compulsory jersey.
Team members can do the 138, the 102, the 79 or the 33.
Have we got a team?

michele

Postby michele » 21 Jun 2011, 20:03

Pete
I'll be doing the 138km and pretty sure Mark is too. Well, he won't want to miss out on what we're all riding!

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 21 Jun 2011, 20:26

Hi all. If we form a team of 5 or more, we can get a team name printed on the compulsory jersey. Have we got a team?
I'd say we do easily - there's the four of us from house #2 and yourself - don't know about Geoff or Marian? Plus Dougie. Lets enter a team and get a DHBC logo on our jerseys?

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 21 Jun 2011, 20:36

I'm definetly up for it.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 21 Jun 2011, 22:30

whoops - left you out Adrian - apologies! We certainly have a team - who's the first to enter and register it?

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 22 Jun 2011, 08:36

I entered last week. Happy to register the team if you all wish. What do you want on the Jersery

see the rules from the TDU Website

Team registration
Team registrations are open until 5pm AST on Monday 31 October 2011.

Team captains
Each team must have a nominated team captain. This person does not have to ride themselves but is responsible for
- Registering the team name
- Ensuring all team members are registered by Monday 31 October
- Confirming team members after the close off date
- Collecting and distributing all team jerseys and ID items
- Receiving and passing on any communication specific to teams.

Team captains: Registering your team
Step 1
Email breakawayseries@tourism.sa.com with the requested team name, your name, email address and contact number.
Team names may be declined by management if they conflict with event sponsors or are considered offensive.

Step 2
Bupa Challenge Tour staff will confirm your team registration and provide you with a unique code to pass onto team members to use when they register. Please advise all team members to use this code when they complete the online registration form otherwise they will not be included in the team.

Step 3
Bupa Challenge Tour staff will email you a list with all the registered riders by Friday 4 November 2011. If you think you have registered a team but did not received a team list by Friday 4 November you must email breakawayseries@tourism.sa.com immediately otherwise you will not be considered to have a registered team.

Step 4
Confirm in writing to breakawayseries@tourism.sa.com that the team list is correct by Friday 11 November 2011. This is the last chance for changes to be made to jersey sizes or the team name.

Step 5
Collect and distribute jerseys and ID items to team members. You will be able to collect these in January (exact dates to be confirmed). If you are unable to collect these items then you will need to advise the Bupa Challenge Tour in writing who will be collecting the jerseys on your behalf.

Team members
If you will be riding as part of a team, please ensure you obtain the team code from the captain prior to completing your online registration. You will need this to complete your registration. The team captain will be responsible for collecting and distributing your event jersey and ID item in January (exact collection dates to be confirmed).

PS i know the two hills in the KOM. Man they are tough!

Cheers

Dougie

Peter T

Postby Peter T » 22 Jun 2011, 13:14

I would like to nominate Dougie as Team Captain.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 22 Jun 2011, 15:36

I would like to nominate Dougie as Team Captain.
Seconded
Name Suggestions:
1. DHBC Domestics

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 22 Jun 2011, 15:46

Name Suggestions:
1. DHBC Domestics
Better make it "DHBC Domestiques"

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 22 Jun 2011, 16:48

Better make it "DHBC Domestiques"
No no James - see this topic >> http://dhbc.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php? ... ics#p34391 for why it needs to be called the Domestics ! (I'm one too - I clean, cook, wash the clothes ...) and I spelt it wrong in the first place and during a search for that post found I wasn't the first one :oops:

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 22 Jun 2011, 17:13

DHBC Domestics

It works for me. we have until 31st Oct to decide. I humbly take on the role of Team Captain. We should agree on the name swiftly.

Golly, I will have to start doing Waterfall regularly. Go the C27.3's

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 23 Jun 2011, 17:26

There's been some, ummmmm, resistance to my name suggestion. We could just go with Dulwich Hill Bicycle Club .... or use the correct spelling of The DHBC Domestiques, which I still like.

Fraser

Postby Fraser » 24 Jun 2011, 12:37

I am planning to ride the 138km and would love to join the DHBC Domestiques. Am I right in thinking you can't apply for the early bird offer... then a join a team after 31st October?

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 24 Jun 2011, 17:16

Fraser

If you are concerned, email the TDU people via their website. I have found them very accommodating and keen to ensure you get the experience you are after. I have already registered and once we have a name for the team i will get that done. I really can't see a drama in registeriing now and joining later. The discount is worth a couple of post ride coffees a Bar Cibo in Rundle St!

It looks like we will have a cracker of a team, maybe even double figures.

cheers and see you on the road.

Douglas

Mark H

Postby Mark H » 27 Jun 2011, 07:36

Hi All,

Yes I will be doing the 138km ride, just did some training this weekend with a Charity Ride from Opera House to Parliament House in Canberra 310km. Either name suggestions are fine!!
Cheers Mark

michele

Postby michele » 28 Jun 2011, 20:22

No inspiration from me, happy to sit on the fence!

Joe

Postby Joe » 16 Jul 2011, 18:50

I like "DHBC Domestics"... can't take ourselves too seriously! I'm about 50/50 on whether I'll make it due to a long holiday in NZ over Christmas but would love to be there. I did it last year and loved it!

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 01 Aug 2011, 10:29

A hearty "Good Morning" to the members of latest team to be given the all important "Wildcard" entry into the Bupa Challenge Stage 4 at the 2012 Tour Down Under. This is your Captain speaking.

Please see below the entry details for those whom have yet to register.

For those whom have already registered you can either PM me your details and I forward to the TDU people or alternatively you can contact them yourselves directly. At some point I do wish to know names and contact numbers for each team member for team communication purposes.

For those whom are keen to commence training for this event. I have taken the liberty of seeking some wise counsel from the good people at the South Australian Tourism Office. It would appear that in order to be fully prepared for your visit to SA you should endeavour to do the following.

"As South Australia has a strong Germanic influence we would recommend your diet is adjusted sooner rather than later to accommodate the locally available produce. Consumption of large quantities of sausages that end in the word "wurst" is encouraged. Inorder to maintain a balanced intake of food accompany any "wurst" with any vegetable ending in "kraut".

Liquid intake must be kept high as SA can have temperature extremes in the summertime. Strong and heavy german beer is readily available at any of the 110 pubs in the Adelaide metropolitan area. You are urged to utilise these houses of hospitality at every opportunity as dehydration is a real threat to the successful completion of any physical activity, such as walking from one air conditioned environment to another. For those whom find that german beer is unpalatable SA is know for its wine culture. Whilst comsuming large quantities of red wine can be challenging to in a warm environment, competitors are expected to "dig deep and take one for the team" as failure is simply not an option during events such as these.

Training should commence as soon as possible. Failure to adequately train may result in unplanned health benefits such as weight loss, increased liver function and the capacity to successfully operate heavy machinery. Your Publican such be carefully consulted prior to undertaking this training. This is general advice and does not take into account your personal situation or your individual training goals.

South Australia - Go Hard and Go Early.

BELOW IS INFORMATION FROM THE TDU PEOPLE

Hi Douglas

Thank you for registering team DHBC DOMESTIQUES for the 2012 Bupa Challenge Tour.

Your team code is – BCT109

Please pass this onto your team members to include when they register. If you could let me know the names of the people that have already registered I will add this code to their registrations.

We wish you and the team well in your training and we will be in touch later in the year with more team information.

Regards
Annunziata

Annunziata Thompson

Event Coordinator
Events South Australia

Level 3, 121-125 King William Street, Adelaide
Adelaide South Australia SA 5000
Telephone. (08) 8463 4698
Facsimile. (08) 8463 4718
Email. breakawayseries@tourism.sa.com
Website. www.events.southaustralia.com

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 01 Aug 2011, 11:53

To inspire you, here's the ride profile .... it seems to go up a lot. Surely Pork Knuckle & German beer at the German club should be the best prep? None of this 'roller' or 'stationary trainer' stuff ... or even actually riding a few more k's

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 24 Oct 2011, 15:21

If you are considering the TDU in 2012 then this is your last opportunity to join the "DHBC Domestiques"! Our operators are standing by to take your call. "is there a free set of steak knives with each new entry?" i hear you ask. A resounding "no" is the answer. This team is committed to keeping your cutlery draw tidy and free of unwanted BBQ ware. What other team shows this much care?

You have until 31st October this year. Yes Halloween, to lock and load and hit the road. Registrations to join the DHBC Domestiques will close on the 31st, never to be re- opened. Don't make a decision that you will regret for years to come. South Australia - Go Hard and Go Early

Road training will commence for this challenging event in mid February to ensure that there is no chance of peaking before the event takes place in January.

Any questions by all means call someone who cares.

See you at the Coffee Shop

Dougie

Mike H

Postby Mike H » 30 Oct 2011, 21:53

Nothing like a last minute request....still space for 2 riders for the TDU team? Fiona and I are registered now and would love to join if there's space!cheers

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 31 Oct 2011, 08:36

Mike

It would be good to have you and yours on the Team. Please contact the TDU using the below information to get yourself registered.

Cheers

Dougie

BELOW IS INFORMATION FROM THE TDU PEOPLE

Hi Douglas

Thank you for registering team DHBC DOMESTIQUES for the 2012 Bupa Challenge Tour.

Your team code is – BCT109

Please pass this onto your team members to include when they register. If you could let me know the names of the people that have already registered I will add this code to their registrations.

We wish you and the team well in your training and we will be in touch later in the year with more team information.

Regards
Annunziata

Annunziata Thompson

Event Coordinator
Events South Australia

Level 3, 121-125 King William Street, Adelaide
Adelaide South Australia SA 5000
Telephone. (08) 8463 4698
Facsimile. (08) 8463 4718
Email. breakawayseries@tourism.sa.com
Website. www.events.southaustralia.com

timyone

Postby timyone » 01 Nov 2011, 15:20

so you didn't go with the domestics :( I was liking that name!

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 01 Nov 2011, 16:09

so you didn't go with the domestics :( I was liking that name!

Domestics was working for me too, however it was shouted down by some members of the team. Perhaps a little too close to home.......I'm not saying, I'm just saying.....

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 04 Nov 2011, 14:20

Dear "DHBC Domestiques" team members, this is your Captain speaking.

I have some information from the people at the TDU that i need you to check. it is a spreadsheet so i need an email address please. Please PM me with your contact details as noted below

Douglas K aka Dougie

Mike H i have your mobile and email
Fiona C i have your mobile and email
Joanne T please advise mobile and email
Mark H I have your mobile, please advise email
Michele P please advise mobile and email
Peter T please advise mobile and email
Stuart H i have your mobile please advise email.

cheers

Douglas

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 28 Dec 2011, 11:10

found this mapmyride map of the Friday challenge ride. Not too bad really. Steepest average gradient on the climbs is 5% and that's the last one. Claims steepest bit is 7%? Is this the same route as last year?

http://www.mapmyride.com/s/routes/view/ ... a/36855906

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 28 Dec 2011, 11:39

Stuart

Average smaverage! I will remind you of this wild and outlandish statement as we push our bikes up the 16% gradient parts of Mengler's Hill. Hill repeats of Bayview anyone?

Dougie

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 28 Dec 2011, 14:03

well Dougie, righto then. other sites have the average for that climb at 8%. Nowhere can I get a 'steepest bit' claim. 16% is very, very steep. even my 34/28 will not be sufficient I dare say. Although some bloke here claims to have ridden it in 3' 44'' http://www.cycle2max.com/bike-hill-clim ... aspx?id=45

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 29 Dec 2011, 10:35

Stuart

Average smaverage! I will remind you of this wild and outlandish statement as we push our bikes up the 16% gradient parts of Mengler's Hill. Hill repeats of Bayview anyone?

Dougie
SO Dougie - my question to you is what gears are you riding at the TDU? I currently run 52/38 at the front with 27 at the back, but I also have compacts which I used for the Alpine Classic. What do you reckon? I'm not hard core like some of these others up those hills. Downhills are my only friend.

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 29 Dec 2011, 13:58

Trouty,

It doesnt matter. i will be sure to have exactly one tooth too few to successfully get me over the KOM! I shall be running 36/52 and 12-27.
good luck
Douglas

Derek

Postby Derek » 10 Jan 2012, 08:28

Hi Guys,

I have been reading with interest the last few posts about average gradient and climbing metres. The word underprepard comes to mind. Thanks to Mike on the weekend for trying his very best to get me into to shape on the early eastie. A little too late though.

I will be down in Adelaide from next Wednesday and riding with my work team, Team Skoda. If any of you are not too familiar with my face I will be the guy at the back of that group.

Hopefully I will see some familiar faces in the pack and be able to have a chat.

Derek.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 23 Jan 2012, 11:47

here's one for Trouty ....

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 24 Jan 2012, 16:18

Lets see how the TDU organisers treated those who wished to bring to light Santos' involvement in Coal Seam Gas extraction and the highly destructive and water table endangering fracking process in Australia. This is not cool at all. It makes me question the sponsorship of cycling by this organisation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNaDA0O2 ... e=youtu.be

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 24 Jan 2012, 19:01

here's one for Trouty ....

Go Cam Go, he is still a few notches behind Cadel, but I have 2 bikes named after each of them.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 26 Jan 2012, 11:48

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 26 Jan 2012, 13:46

I am glad i didnt ride up Willunga Hill! Steeeeeeep

Return to “Road”