The Parra Pedal / Amy Gillett Ride Sun 13/2/11

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Stuart

Postby Stuart » 13 Jan 2011, 17:32

Hi DHBCer's - Unfortunately I can't make this ride as I'll be OS but I strongly encourage as many DHBCer's as possible to participate. This is the first ever Amy's Ride in NSW having been run in Vic, SA & QLD for some years. These rides, benefiting the Amy Gillett Foundation, always get mainstream media attention and are for a great cause, which also help you as a cyclist with regards to road safety and driver education. I know it's not really going to help your training, but it will help build a positive image for cycling & road cyclists.

Here's some blurb:
On Sunday 13th February, 2011, join the Amy Gillett Foundation and the NSW Government in The Parra Pedal for the Amy Gillett Foundationl utilising the fantastic Cycleways network linking Parramatta Park with the surrounding suburbs. The event will be conducted by Bike NSW. Choose from three ride distances, 20km, 30km or 55km with options to start in Parramatta Park or one of five convenient Cycleways entry points on the course. Register for your preferred distance, but ride as far or as little as you like.

Online Entries Close Midday Friday 11th Feb however you can still register on the day at Parramatta Park.

Click this link to get more details and sign-up

For more information on the Amy Gillett Foundation click here

There is also a free beginners loop and AustCycle Clinic in Parramatta Park for those who are just starting out, whatever your age! To participate in the AustCycle Clinic you don’t even need your own bike and helmet, these will be provided. The Cycleways start points are located at Holroyd Gardens (Holroyd), Tait Street Park (Smithfield), Moon Rise Ridge (Abbotsbury), Josephine Street Park (Merrylands West), and Walder Park (Wetherill Park).

A multicultural food and entertainment festival in Parramatta Park complete a great day out for all participants and the Western Sydney Community. Your participation will also support the bicycling safety initiatives of the Amy Gillett Foundation including the development of our 2011 safety campaign. Each rider will receive a number to be attached to their bike prior to starting, and an "A Metre Matters" T-Shirt courtesy of Amy Gillett Foundation corporate sponsors to wear during and after the ride.

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 15 Jan 2011, 09:25

I've created a DHBC team for this, and plan to make it a part of the adventure ride series, as you'll see in this thread: http://www.dhbc.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2200

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 22 Jan 2011, 09:47

Anyone else signed up? I know it's not a massive ride, but this is the only charity ride around that aims to benefit cyclists. Y'know - us!

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 22 Jan 2011, 12:42

Simon - probably me and Adam. I'll sign up soon.

MarkL

Postby MarkL » 27 Jan 2011, 12:19

l'm in for this ride

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 27 Jan 2011, 17:41

I've signed up now for me and Adam.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 27 Jan 2011, 19:02

I guess I should do this too.....or Sergeant Major Stuart might shoot me (from Cuba)

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 27 Jan 2011, 19:09

Yay for Jo!

A coupla others are in too, just not announcing it. Could be a good thing to publicise at slowies, and a good step-up ride for some of them too if they ride to Parra.

I'll do the shouting on Saturday, methinks ...

Mark H

Postby Mark H » 30 Jan 2011, 08:47

I think this is an awesome event and will definetly support it, I will join in on the DHBC Team Simon/Stuart.

Was going to ride to Parra, but not really sure on the route? Maybe a team of us can ride together?

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 30 Jan 2011, 18:46

The plan is definitely to ride out to Parramatta.
I know how to get there - mostly - via the Cooks River path and then Rookwood, but of course the path is not great for a big pack. Following the railway is another pretty safe bet, although bound to be a bit choppy.
I'll plan a route - or two - depending on how many people want to ride out and their ability.
I expect we'll need to depart at about 6:20 to make the 7:30 start for the long course.
S.

michele

Postby michele » 30 Jan 2011, 22:01

I'm in too and keen to cycle out.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 31 Jan 2011, 17:10

I'm in too and keen to cycle out.
I have registered for the 55km which is the longest and I am keen to cycle out.

Cheers

andrewb

Postby andrewb » 31 Jan 2011, 19:29

I've registered for the 55km.

I may have to bail early if the ride is slow because I have an event back in town in early afternoon, but according to the ride website:
"Free Travel for Participants: All registered riders will receive free travel for the day on CityRail and Ferries on production of rider number."

So easy train ride back if running late.

I'll ride out, but will meet you on the way. I put in vote for the CR bike path, as I'm close to it at Croydon Park.

Andrew

adrian

Postby adrian » 01 Feb 2011, 10:05

I've registered for the 55km.
Looking forward to the ride!

Mark H

Postby Mark H » 02 Feb 2011, 20:29

I have registered for the 55km ride too under DHBC Team, and would like to ride out to the start Simon.
Looking forward to it

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 06 Feb 2011, 19:06

Hi all,
it looks like there's eight or ten of us doing the ride, and a couple of you have mentioned you live near the Cook's River path.
Rather than clog up that path, or bore everyone with its lower reaches, I figure we meet at George's River Road, then go together the rest of the way.
Here's a rough map: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Ma ... Parramatta
How does that sound?

Mark H

Postby Mark H » 06 Feb 2011, 19:39

Hi Simon, The map looks good, thanks for organising. Are we still looking at 6.20 at Micks?

MarkL

Postby MarkL » 06 Feb 2011, 20:23

I figure we meet at George's River Road
At the corner of Milton St?

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 06 Feb 2011, 20:30

Simon - what time do you reckon you will get to Parramatta for the start of the actual ride? Adam and I will meet you all there. It appears there is no fixed start time.

andrewb

Postby andrewb » 06 Feb 2011, 22:18

Hi all,
it looks like there's eight or ten of us doing the ride, and a couple of you have mentioned you live near the Cook's River path.
Rather than clog up that path, or bore everyone with its lower reaches, I figure we meet at George's River Road, then go together the rest of the way.
Here's a rough map: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Ma ... Parramatta
How does that sound?
I'm in for that. I live just off GR road, so I'll wait for you on the side of the road between burwood rd & lees ave. If you nominate the time you're meeting at Milton St, I'll add 2 minutes to that & expect you then.

Andrew

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 09 Feb 2011, 03:15

Just wanted to say thanks to all the riders who have signed up for this ride - I'll be there in spirit. It's great to see that there are many members who are willing to put their time and dollars into supporting road safety for cyclists. Fly the DHBC flag high and the Amy Gillett foundation and riders across Australia thank you.

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 09 Feb 2011, 10:11

Simon - what time do you reckon you will get to Parramatta for the start of the actual ride? Adam and I will meet you all there. It appears there is no fixed start time.
We're aiming to get there for about 7:20 AM, as the 55km edition starts at 7:30 AM.

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 09 Feb 2011, 10:13

I'm in for that. I live just off GR road, so I'll wait for you on the side of the road between burwood rd & lees ave. If you nominate the time you're meeting at Milton St, I'll add 2 minutes to that & expect you then.

Andrew
The plan is to leave Mick's punctually at 6:20 AM - not sure how long it will take us to get to Burwood Rd but I suspect if you are ready to go at 6:35 you'll be safe.

S.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 09 Feb 2011, 21:34

Just wanted to say thanks to all the riders who have signed up for this ride - I'll be there in spirit. It's great to see that there are many members who are willing to put their time and dollars into supporting road safety for cyclists. Fly the DHBC flag high and the Amy Gillett foundation and riders across Australia thank you.
......People were scared of your wrath Stuey!! Especially me!

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 11 Feb 2011, 19:13

Change of plan Simon - Adam and I will meet you at Mick Mazza's at 6.20.

adrian

Postby adrian » 12 Feb 2011, 12:00

Change of plan Simon - Adam and I will meet you at Mick Mazza's at 6.20.
I'll meet you guys at Mick Mazza's too.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 12 Feb 2011, 13:08

I'll meet you guys at Mick Mazza's too.
I guess I will meet you at 6.20 too. EMT: Tell Adam I glad he is riding in. All that training at Brite must have paid off.

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 12 Feb 2011, 16:47

Okay all - I'll see you at Micks.
If it is raining and/or looking nasty, I figure we have three options:

1. Stay in Bed - if you're not at Mick at 6:20 sharp we'll assume that's where you are
2. Ride to Redfern where the 6:53 AM train will get us to Parramatta for 7:25 AM - a bit tight.
3. Ride to Strathfield and pick up what is probably the same train at 7:06 AM, for the 7:25 AM arrival.

andrewb

Postby andrewb » 12 Feb 2011, 17:24

Because of my starting location, if the rest of you don't end up riding out from marrickville, I'll pick between option 1 & 3, depending on the weather .

Simon, I'll pm you my mobile number - any chance you could SMS me if you guys are taking option 1,2, or 3, rather than the ride out? Ta.

Andrew

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 12 Feb 2011, 17:25

[quote="andrewb"
Simon, I'll pm you my mobile number - any chance you could SMS me if you guys are taking option 1,2, or 3, rather than the ride out? Ta.
Andrew[/quote]

I'll try to remember it in the pre-dawn gloom!
S.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 13 Feb 2011, 13:33

A dozen or so of us turned out this morning with a slightly delayed start due to yours truly and one other being late. Apparently we have been fined. Anyway, we got to Parramatta Park, skilfully directed by Simon, picked up our "A Metre Matters" t-shirts and off we went. We lasted about 6kms and then couldn't hack the pace so jumped on the road and headed back to Parramatta Park, somewhat confusing the organisers. We were pleased to have participated, slightly regretful that we didn't see the whole course (the other 49 kms that is) and great to see lots of people out on their bikes.

Back at the Park, we had a coffee, consumed stuff (see below of what happened to Jo and Mark as a result) and then tried out our legs on the Townie sprint competition. I came last, but Simon came first with a massive 74 (kph? watts? not sure what the unit of measurement was). Just moments earlier he had been telling us about his plans to win F grade in the new DHBC crit series. I'm thinking the selectors need to note that performance.

Consumption - this is what Mark and Jo got up to. Stuart, you'll be coming home to a few surprises!

Simon sprinting his heart out on the Townie

Then we rode home through Rookwood and the bike path.

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 13 Feb 2011, 16:18

Thanks Eleri for that shot of all the best parts of my head ;-) There's a reason I took up a sport that requires helmets!
Seriously, though, thanks to all who came.
It's a shame the route spent the first 3 or 4 kms on footpaths with gates galore. We basically walked for most of the distance on the official Amy's Ride and the thought of enduring any more kms of the ride for 20 meters, walk for 50 regime put us off to the extent that an early coffee was a very sensible idea.
Here, FWIW, is the shot of the crew at the start:
I'm not sure I'd go back next year without a rather different course on offer. As we'll discover next week, there are decent paths from Parramatta Park to the M7 Cycleway. I reckon they could offer a better day out.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 13 Feb 2011, 17:06

Probably just as well you guys had an extra short course. I read that the 55 and longer courses had a very nasty hill and a gravelled downhill on the other side that took out some 700C wheeled riders. Then there was mud... (I don't think Jo would appreciate that).

fenn_paddler

Postby fenn_paddler » 13 Feb 2011, 17:14

I did the 30km course with the family. We stuck it out through the first few kms of bottlenecks, and were rewarded with a well signposted and nicely spread out ride after that. Yes the walking & stop and starts early on were a pain, but this was quickly forgotten once we crossed the freeway and began the ride proper.

Unfortunately my daughter went over the handlebars just before the finish (5 stitches), but there were plenty of volunteers around, and the st johns lads did a good temporary patch up job. Apart from that a great day - good vibe from the volunteers, the kids enjoyed it, and so did I.

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 13 Feb 2011, 17:23

@ Fenn_Paddler The freeway was where the fun started?????
D'oh! That's where we bailed :-(
@ Weiyun There were flats everywhere - I got 2.

charles

Postby charles » 13 Feb 2011, 20:12

A few of us did the 55k ride. It was ok after the tortuous first few ks and a bit of a novel experience in being mainly on bike paths and busways.

The parts out behind Fairfield and near the reservoir were quite scenic and mostly about as good riding as you could get on paths; some reasonably fast stretches and quite a few hills including one very serious incline plus some rough and loose surface just after. Didn't see many punctures on the ride.

A bit odd that a ride devoted to safety on the road should stick to paths I thought. BTW I'm sorry I missed you guys; waited on GR Road until 6.40 then decided to get going rather than miss the start which needless to say was late.

Peter T

Postby Peter T » 14 Feb 2011, 09:34

Thanks for putting on a great ride Simon. Well researched and devious route out there in good company.
Michele and I didn't have time to do the Amy Gillet itself, so did a return trip, managing to remember all the twists and turns.
Looking forward to this weekend's M7 Jaunt.

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 01 Mar 2011, 06:52

So here I am at a conference and I get chatting to someone I know who lives out Parramatta way. I mention I rode out for the Amy ride, and she says "oh so that's what it was? there were cyclists everywhere and they were all over the road. they should have been obeying the rules and how come none of them knew the way to the park?"
Sigh.
S.

Return to “Road”