Another anti cyclist rant, but by whom?!

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
G

Postby G » 07 Jan 2011, 14:29

Well, wot can I say, I love running as well as cycling, but would be interested to know the views of pure cyclists on this article.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/fe ... 5983192449

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 07 Jan 2011, 14:54

Are you a Nike or Adidas runner? Are you a Colnago or Pinarello rider? Or doesn't it matter?

G

Postby G » 07 Jan 2011, 15:13

Fair point. I think Colnago riders are better than Pinarello riders, or not? I ride cell bikes.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 07 Jan 2011, 15:42

Fair point. I think Colnago riders are better than Pinarello riders, or not? I ride cell bikes.
Careful! We have at least 2 Pina riders here. :wink:

At the end of the day, they both are forms of transport, sport, leading to health benefits (or failure through crashes/injuries). :mrgreen:

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 07 Jan 2011, 16:03

I think it's just another anti-cycling rant but from an unused angle - I mean, cyclists v runners? Who is he kidding.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 07 Jan 2011, 16:04

Maybe we should ask the author if he is still running past the age of 50. That is a big uptake area for cycling, runners who have done their knees.

James

G

Postby G » 07 Jan 2011, 16:18

Maybe we should ask the author if he is still running past the age of 50. That is a big uptake area for cycling, runners who have done their knees.

James
Depends on the running style mate. Sprinters and footy players stuff up their knees by the age of 30. However, I have been chicked by a grandmother at my running squad. She has a very good running posture and fore foot running style which eliminates the impact on knees. She's fast, yet she doesn't get injured, and did I mention she kicks my ass?

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 07 Jan 2011, 16:20

The article repeats the negativity that has appeared in many articles before then neatly tucks some positives at the end so the author can claim some neutrality.

zzzz.....

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 07 Jan 2011, 16:40

James
The author is a woman, Annabel Hepworth. Don't know how old she is. I'm still running and nothing wrong with my knees :)

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 07 Jan 2011, 19:19

So there you go, all those over-50s male ex-footballers with stuffed knees are taking up cycling...

JonB

Postby JonB » 07 Jan 2011, 19:59

The issue here is that most people see cycling as a sport and not a mode of transport. Running is almost definitely a sport given that it is pretty impractical to run far in jeans and t-shirt. Cycling and especially the sort of cycling that takes place on dedicated cycleways is for getting to A-B. I ride to work most days in an old pair of shorts and a t-shirt and in the winter jeans or work clothes. People need to get over the lycra issue and see cycling on the same level as walking. It is just an extremely efficient way of getting you from one place to another and also happens to be a great sport.

The fact that this article is printed in a respected Australian newspaper is a disgrace and brings down the credibility of the press in this country.

timyone

Postby timyone » 07 Jan 2011, 21:17

ummmm i wish i had the time back that i spent reading that...

Im a nike runner :D i bought shoes, and the guy in the shop chose nike for me :D
I dont really think it was that anti cycling, she just didnt really have any thing to say, so tried to do some thing about cycling, and thats all he could think of.

Im not really into these opinion things

fenn_paddler

Postby fenn_paddler » 08 Jan 2011, 07:19

I'm not surprised to read an anti-bike rant from a runner. For some reason there are quite a few cyclist haters in the running community. This can be seen on occasion on the coolrunning site.

To be honest, I get a bit irritated by intimidating speeding cyclists in lane cove nat park during lunchtime jogs. Then when on the bay run riding with the young fella, we get irritated by the selfish behaviour of two abreast runners (wearing ipods). Big cities breed selfishness.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 08 Jan 2011, 09:37

I'm not surprised to read an anti-bike rant from a runner. For some reason there are quite a few cyclist haters in the running community. This can be seen on occasion on the coolrunning site.

To be honest, I get a bit irritated by intimidating speeding cyclists in lane cove nat park during lunchtime jogs. Then when on the bay run riding with the young fella, we get irritated by the selfish behaviour of two abreast runners (wearing ipods). Big cities breed selfishness.
Exactly! I'm equally contradicted :)

It's a slow news week, they have to invent something to write about and be controversial. She's normally a political journalist.

G

Postby G » 10 Jan 2011, 09:02

The issue here is that most people see cycling as a sport and not a mode of transport. Running is almost definitely a sport given that it is pretty impractical to run far in jeans and t-shirt. Cycling and especially the sort of cycling that takes place on dedicated cycleways is for getting to A-B. I ride to work most days in an old pair of shorts and a t-shirt and in the winter jeans or work clothes. People need to get over the lycra issue and see cycling on the same level as walking. It is just an extremely efficient way of getting you from one place to another and also happens to be a great sport.

The fact that this article is printed in a respected Australian newspaper is a disgrace and brings down the credibility of the press in this country.
True, she has ignored the commuters

Return to “Conversation”