Sunday Waterfall Cruisers this weekend - 17/5

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Stuart

Postby Stuart » 13 May 2009, 09:13

As I don't have a racing licence I won't be doing the crit races at Dunc Grey and will be doing the normal cruisers Waterfall ride this Sunday leaving at 6:20am. However, if you're a newbie rider this weekend may not the time to start the Waterfall ride as the bunch will be much smaller and the no drop rule may not apply as new rider leader Lindsay will be at the crit racing (I assume).
Last edited by Stuart on 13 May 2009, 13:45, edited 1 time in total.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 13 May 2009, 09:48

Why won't the "no drop rule" apply this weekend?

If Lindsay is not around, surely some other who have benefited from Lindsay's caring attitude in the past should step forward and look after the new riders. If no other, then the default leader for the ride should pick up that role.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 13 May 2009, 10:11

Why won't the "no drop rule" apply this weekend?If Lindsay is not around, surely some other who have benefited from Lindsay's caring attitude in the past should step forward and look after the new riders. If no other, then the default leader for the ride should pick up that role.
I understand completely the sentiment there Weiyun and I was in two minds about posting what I did. What I really meant was that I won't be able to take that role due to commitments post ride i.e. I need to get back home ASAP and besides, I'm often the one getting dropped after Waterfall as it is. Also, the ride is not always no drop now, it really depends on the circumstances prevailing on the day. As I understand it, the No Drop clause really only applies if a rider registers pre ride (or talks to Lindsay or other club members at slowies) and is then encouraged to attend. Many times recently riders have been dropped and have in fact turned around early as they couldn't make it or keep up the cruisers pace. You don't see this as you don't ride with the cruisers bunch. I think trying to make this a total No Drop ride is too difficult to make happen every week and can be counter productive for those riders who are getting stronger and want to keep up a consistent pace.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 13 May 2009, 10:15

Ok, that makes much more sense.

orphic

Postby orphic » 13 May 2009, 10:25

Do we know how many slowies are planning on doing the crit?

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 13 May 2009, 14:18

UPDATE: As day racing licences are available I will now be going crit racing so won't be doing the usual Waterfall ride on Sunday. Seems like a good way to see if I'd like to go racing more often.

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 14 May 2009, 11:33

I'm a crit-doing slowie!

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 15 May 2009, 09:52

Hi Guys,

as much as I´d like to try to snatch a win in the inaugural DHBC Crit I don´t want to see our Waterfall ride go wobbly so I will be doing the Waterfall ride as normal.

I´ll turn up at Mick´s at 6:20am & take it from there. I´d suggest we run 1 bunch so we should leave at 6:30am.

Cheers,

Lindsay

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 15 May 2009, 09:54

I'll still be running the RNP ride on Sunday, so if you want to test your legs in the park be at the shop for a 6am sharp departure.

James

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 15 May 2009, 17:51

UPDATE: As day racing licences are available I will now be going crit racing so won't be doing the usual Waterfall ride on Sunday. Seems like a good way to see if I'd like to go racing more often.
Sorry but there isn't going to be any one day licences due to a technical problem and if we do get them they will be $35 each... Which I don't think will be very appealing to people...

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 15 May 2009, 17:54

UPDATE 2:
Hey guys there's not going to be any one day licences for the crit on Sunday & when there is they have risen to $35....

So, I'm back in the Waterfall cruisers bunch after all and I note Lindsay's start time of 6:30 - that means we'll be starting out with a combined cruisers middies bunch? Most cruisers don't have race licences so won't the bunch just be the same size as always? Anyway, see you on Sun.

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 15 May 2009, 18:37

Bother. Waterfall it is, then!

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 15 May 2009, 22:37

That's a pity. I was looking forward to seeing what it was all about! I notice that cycling nsw have six month racing licences as a discount option, but they don't start till June. If, say, I raced once a month, missing only one race, that would be $175 total at $35 per day license (but then I would have to stop for six months). Does anyone know what the six month licenses cost? I can't find a pricelist on the website. It's pretty poor that they don't allow Club licences unless it's in a 'remote' region.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 15 May 2009, 22:47

Well, its $66 a year for a ride licence (which you should have to ride with Dulwich Hill on our training rides, including Saturday slowies after you've been a few times) and $198 for a race licence so you're better off with the race licence anyway on the above figures. You can upgrade your ride licence to a race licence at any time and only pay the difference. If you join in the last quarter of the year you are covered for all the next year i.e. 15 months. I didn't know there was a six month option and can't see it on the cycling Australia web site as a payment option.

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 15 May 2009, 23:44

Stu,

From the website at: http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/default.a ... 238/29426/

*Targeting people seeking membership in second half of the year; available for the last six months of each year at a discounted capitation rate.

* Available for purchase between 1 July and 30 September each year

* Provides full membership benefits for the period from purchase through to 31 December each year.

So, I'm not sure what the 'discounted capitation rate is'. Anyway, it would be possible to use it from next month...

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 15 May 2009, 23:51

So, that's probably why there's always a bottleneck with getting your license ticket. They have to process everyone at the end of the year, rather than from when you actually pay your money. I'm sure there must be a reason to do it that way.... :shock:

On the site it says that it is 'discounted'. I'm not sure whether that means we pay less pro rata or more.

Anyway, it's basically around $100, or half the price I would assume.

Interesting that it's not an option on the form.

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 15 May 2009, 23:58

Final note before bed... :D

If what you say is true, and the license is half a 12 month license ($99) and I already have paid $66, then I can race for the rest of the year for $33, less than the cost of a day license.

Just have to wait till next month's race.

We are having one next month, aren't we?

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 16 May 2009, 14:37

If what you say is true, and the license is half a 12 month license ($99) and I already have paid $66, then I can race for the rest of the year for $33, less than the cost of a day license.
I think you'll need to ring Cycling NSW and ask about it as the on-line membership is via Cycling Australia (as are all memberships really) and the price or option does not appear on the Cycling Australia membership sign-up link or on the form.

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 17 May 2009, 13:04

Our adventure...

So, the two bunches split off from Mick's this morning at around 6:30. All Waterfall riders went as one very large bunch.

Firstly, new member Michael was struggling to hold onto the group, and eventually got dropped. His friend who was riding with us made it clear that this is a regular occurance, that I was not to be alarmed and that he knows his way. Then our newest recruit Kate was sufferring a little on the hills, so we took it a little more casually and rode the rest of the way to Waterfall ourselves, but we were still doing some pretty good speeds.

As we arrived at the bridge at Waterfall, on the other side of the road was the returning group. Kate and I figured out that if we maintined our current efforts, that in fact we would catch everyone up at the servo. But then...

Kate got a flat at the bottom of the fun hill, yet she came along totally prepared and willing to earn her point in the flat tyre competition. Her pump was busted :( So we waited and flagged down Michael (who was dropped earlier on!), but alas, his pump was busted! So we waited and flagged down a lovely fellow from Menai called Denis Cabe (his name was on his bike, lol) who pumped the tyre.

Michael, Kate and I had a lovely ride back together and managed to meet everyone back at the coffeeshop for breakfast. So including our 25minute flat typre disaster, we averaged 23kph. Minus the flat tyre, we averaged 25kph.

All in all, a great morning :)

Kate

Postby Kate » 31 May 2009, 14:34

Another 'adventure' to report!

I dropped off the back of the composite bunch this morning but Alex stayed with me (thanks :D) I was doing ok until I got to the turn off into the Royal at Loftus. I was half way through the intersection when my pedals froze completely. I was about to fall off but then I remembered to unclip- Hooray!

One of the chain pins had popped out and I'd caught the link on something which had bent it back. I think I might have also bent the deraillour.

So Alex headed off to catch the others and I sat on my bike and rolled down hill towards the station. Alas the down hill section finished before I got there but I was opposite the oval where there were a lot of people, a lot of dogs and thankfully- a lot of utes! I stumbled (still can't really ride in my shoes, let alone walk in them...) up to the club house and found someone who gave me a lift to the station.

I got off at Sydenham and rolled/stumbled down/up Marrickville road back to the car.

Total Waterfall attempts: 3
Flats: 2
Broken Stuff: 1

Hmmm... :roll:

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 31 May 2009, 17:24

Hi Kate,

Pity I didn't see you, as I had a chain breaker tool, so would of probably been able to fix your bike on the spot.

Never mind, better luck next time

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 31 May 2009, 19:37

Kate,

You get a whole 10 points for effort. Poor Scorpion, and she was looking so pearly and shiny too! lol

So help me to understand... was this on the way to Waterfall, or on the way back?

Oh, and maybe someone should change the title of this thread to something like "The surprising adventures of Kate and Scorpion" :lol:

I hope you are both safe and well.

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 31 May 2009, 20:27

Kate's mechanical occured on the way out to waterfall. I will say shearing a chain pin is rather impressive.

Kate

Postby Kate » 04 Jun 2009, 18:06

Hmmm... that was an expensive trip to Waterfall. I got my bike back today- new chain, new casette and a new derailer...

I really only need a new frame and I'll have a whole new bike!

Return to “Road”