Sunday "Not quite Slowies " Report

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Trouty

Postby Trouty » 19 Oct 2008, 15:08

In the absence of our usual slowies leaders (Lindsay and Geoff) the group was led out today by Jo (Me) and Fiona, then taken the bulk of the way to Waterfall turn off by Daryl and Insomniac Micheal, who both set a cracking pace. The presence of the Russions (who arent Russian but I love to call them that because they are so competitve - Victor & Dan/Andre) was felt as they stuck close to the leaders. A new rider from Germany - Matt - also did a great job sticking with this NOT SO SLOW group, considering he had not ridden much lately.

Steve (Pinerello) charged off at the turnoff with me trying to stay with him. Scottish Pete's competitiveness has obviously rubbed off on wife Fiona, as she was determined not to fall behind. We all pretty much finished together, and I must say all did a pretty good pace - SO CONGRATULATIONS SLOWIES - Even Stuart who has been slack and not ridden for 3 weeks wasn't very far behind. Unfortunate that Stuart blew 2 tyres - otherwise we would have beat the fasties to SUtherland (that is my story and I'm sticking to it).

insomniac

Postby insomniac » 19 Oct 2008, 16:27

You were like a bat out of hell on the return journey.

Obviously Saturday's training sessions at Centennial Park are working - despite the occasional hiccup following the coach's instructions! :roll:

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 19 Oct 2008, 19:38

Go to bed - get some sleep !!!!

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 19 Oct 2008, 19:46

Sorry - that last message was for Insomniac Michael, to get some sleep. But obviously lack of sleep makes him ride better, and obviously makes him more alert at following the coaches instructions. It seems the only thing that goes to sleep for mike - is his feet ! He suffered severe pins and needles in his foot, but the coach thinks that was an excuse to have a rest. The coach won't be so lenient next time.

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 20 Oct 2008, 10:29

- otherwise we would have beat the fasties to SUtherland (that is my story and I'm sticking to it).
I wont mention my very slow tube change which held the fasties up. Though I will say we were quite suprised to see you guys ride past.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 20 Oct 2008, 15:34

You were like a bat out of hell on the return journey.

Obviously Saturday's training sessions at Centennial Park are working - despite the occasional hiccup following the coach's instructions! :roll:
Hey, you and Daryl did well to hold my wheel on Saturday

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 20 Oct 2008, 15:43

... until your chainring went flying. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Daryl

Postby Daryl » 20 Oct 2008, 16:12

... until your chainring went flying. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thank goodness for that... :lol: Don't know how long Insomniac Michael and I would have kept up...

Did everything get fixed in the end?

Daryl

Postby Daryl » 20 Oct 2008, 16:23

In the absence of our usual slowies leaders (Lindsay and Geoff) the group was led out today by Jo (Me) and Fiona, then taken the bulk of the way to Waterfall turn off by Daryl and Insomniac Micheal, who both set a cracking pace. The presence of the Russions (who arent Russian but I love to call them that because they are so competitve - Victor & Dan/Andre) was felt as they stuck close to the leaders. A new rider from Germany - Matt - also did a great job sticking with this NOT SO SLOW group, considering he had not ridden much lately.

Steve (Pinerello) charged off at the turnoff with me trying to stay with him. Scottish Pete's competitiveness has obviously rubbed off on wife Fiona, as she was determined not to fall behind. We all pretty much finished together, and I must say all did a pretty good pace - SO CONGRATULATIONS SLOWIES - Even Stuart who has been slack and not ridden for 3 weeks wasn't very far behind. Unfortunate that Stuart blew 2 tyres - otherwise we would have beat the fasties to SUtherland (that is my story and I'm sticking to it).
Well I got dropped pretty quickly while I was trying to get past a car...you guys took off pretty quickly once you got back on the highway. I'm sure the speed limit was only 100kph! :lol:

Lucky I got into another group's draft to make it back...but was surprised to see Stuart ahead of me :)

insomniac

Postby insomniac » 20 Oct 2008, 16:23

I can only speak for myself .... I went thru several pain barriers that morning. :shock:

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 20 Oct 2008, 16:35

Thank goodness for that... :lol: Don't know how long Insomniac Michael and I would have kept up...

Did everything get fixed in the end?
Yeh, I waited about 15 minutes at the collection point after everyone had left and the kind gentleman who went to his place to get some chain ring bolts turned up, so I put them in and made a b-line for the coffee shop at lighting speed, as I concerned that you lot would of brought all the muffins.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 20 Oct 2008, 20:06

Lucky I got into another group's draft to make it back...but was surprised to see Stuart ahead of me :)
Just because you don't know about the princess turn at Waterfall it's not my fault - didn't want to hold up the group too much. Can't wait for Linsay to return so the average speed goes back down.

Daryl

Postby Daryl » 20 Oct 2008, 22:00

Just because you don't know about the princess turn at Waterfall it's not my fault - didn't want to hold up the group too much. Can't wait for Linsay to return so the average speed goes back down.
I can't wait for Lindsay to come back too...I must admit I was pretty tired & sore when I got home. :lol:

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 20 Oct 2008, 22:04

I can't wait for Lindsay to come back too...I must admit I was pretty tired & sore when I got home. :lol:
You have just graduated to join the "fast group" from this coming Sun. Your days with the Slowies is over... until you turn 60.

The first few times I did the Waterfall ride, I pretty much died for the remainder of the day. Then gradually one adapts and starts to "enjoy" ITT from half way up Waterfall, and then eventually able to make it with the bunch to Waterfall and beyond. I encourage you to give it a go.

In any case, the whole idea of the differential start times for the fast and "Slowies" groups was to allow riders to make this transition. If you get dropped, then there's always the "Slowies" acting as the sweeper.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 21 Oct 2008, 06:37

I was totally shattered just like I used to be when I first started doing Waterfall in Jan this year and slept for 3 hours in the afternoon - just goes to show what missing 3 weeks of riding will do when coupled with the faster, 28.5kph average (according to Jo) on Sun. But I'll be back to form soonish I hope. Maybe if I don't drink so much the night before I'd go better?
Anyway, great job by Daryl & Michael Insomniac to lead the group for 35 of the 40 k's on the way down. After I got that flat that let the fast bunch back past us & then the valve blew in the first tube costing us more time I just didn't have anything left - possibly too long a rest or something. Maybe Jo is right when she tells me I'll never get any better unless I ride more than once a week! I should drag out that trainer I bought.

I'm sure Daryl & Michael Insomniac will soon be in the fast bunch too but for those that get dropped and need a short cut, there's a great turn about 500m before the Waterfall bridge that saves only 1k but lots of time and lets you surprise other riders by being back in front of them at when they come past at Heathcote / Engadine.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 21 Oct 2008, 06:47

Be very careful with that turnaround point. The crossing is not marked and I've seen some risky scenarios in the past.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 21 Oct 2008, 08:29

Be very careful with that turnaround point. The crossing is not marked and I've seen some risky scenarios in the past.
I agree that crossing the freeway is always dangerous but at least at that point there is a right hand turn lane to move into (its there so cars can make a right hand turn into a street) and the section between the divided carriageway to stop in is sealed. See this Google Maps link for the section I mean. Also, there is around 400-500m visibility. I think that this crossing is much safer than the previous two "unofficial" u-turn crossings that are loose gravel / dirt and don't have a turn lane to move into first.
Having said all that, anybody using this turn should exercise extreme care as the cars are doing 100kph+ there.

insomniac

Postby insomniac » 21 Oct 2008, 08:55

I'm sure Daryl & Michael Insomniac will soon be in the fast bunch too
I would need a few more rides to Waterfall before "graduating", besides Id' miss my fellow "Slowies".
I can't wait for Lindsay to come back too...I must admit I was pretty tired & sore when I got home
I actually felt quite good afterwards(better than my first ride to Waterfall) BUT... on the way to Waterfall, where we hit the freeway proper after Sutherland, I thought I was gone, at first I thought my brakes must of been rubbing or something, my legs felt like lead. I was really worried I was going to have to pull out. This feeling didn't go until we made Waterfall (though Stuarts's puncture helped alleviate it somewhat), from which I was going to cruise back, but suddenly Coach Troutman and her accomplice Steve went beserk and took off, and competitive instincts made me try to catch them - suddenly my legs were right again. Though like Daryl I had to hitch a ride with other groups to make up the distance.

Overall it was a great ride and the return journey was exhilarating riding at speed with that other large group that we latched onto.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 21 Oct 2008, 09:05

The other thing that should be said about the fast return ride for new riders is that it can be dangerous. There has been serious accidents in the past including bunch crashes. So be very careful as to which bunch you hitch onto. In general, the larger the bunch, the greater the draft effect, but also the risk if you are at the back and unable to see the road condition ahead. Choose wisely! :wink:

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 21 Oct 2008, 09:51

I recon that Immsoniac and Daryl should start with the fast bunch and go as far as they can with them. Once dropped, they can find the slow bunch and power em home :)

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 21 Oct 2008, 09:55

Agreed. Time to make the jump is now. Going fast makes you fast...

insomniac

Postby insomniac » 21 Oct 2008, 10:33

Going fast makes you fast...
ummmm...going fast sort has the opposite effect on me .. it soon slows me down!

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 21 Oct 2008, 10:50

Seriously imsomniac, go out with the fasties and hang on for as long as you can, that's the way to get there.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 21 Oct 2008, 10:58

Seriously imsomniac, go out with the fasties and hang on for as long as you can, that's the way to get there.
Just don't drop off the fast bunch before it overtakes the Slowies. ;)

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 21 Oct 2008, 11:05

Just don't drop off the fast bunch before it overtakes the Slowies. ;)
Nah, he be find to power along until he catches up

insomniac

Postby insomniac » 21 Oct 2008, 11:15

Geez...talk about putting the pressure on.

Waddaya reckon Daryl? Shall we? Think of the pain. :?

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 21 Oct 2008, 11:28

In the past, we used to ride out in one group and then the people would pull out to form a fast group on the Grand Dr. This gives one a bit more choice as you'll be able to gauge how well you can keep up. Now, you'll need to make an early commitment at the start to do it. But given the safety of being able to drop back with the slow group, there's nothing lost. And if you make yourself known at the start, the fast group would try to look after you a bit if you are borderline. In any case, the fast group tend to fragment along the way, and then you can do your ITT to the servo.
Last edited by weiyun on 21 Oct 2008, 11:29, edited 1 time in total.

Daryl

Postby Daryl » 21 Oct 2008, 11:28

:? I'm already struggling with endurance and stamina and really feel it on the return leg...so if I go too hard at the start, you might not see me at the end :) Any tips to improve? More torture from Coach Jo? :lol:

Out of curiosity, what speeds are the fast group holding?

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 21 Oct 2008, 11:32

Average speed varies.

The only way to improve is to push yourself harder and longer. But after a few weeks, you'll start to improve and you'll be able to stay further and further with the faster group. If you really have problems, then there's no harm in doing more time with the Slowie group. Either way, it's 80km return. All good for your endurance and cardio fitness.
Last edited by weiyun on 21 Oct 2008, 11:36, edited 1 time in total.

insomniac

Postby insomniac » 21 Oct 2008, 11:34

Any tips to improve? More torture from Coach Jo? :lol:
Yes...plus it would help if Coach Jo could be somewhat clearer in her instructions. :roll:

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 21 Oct 2008, 11:38

Yes...plus it would help if Coach Jo could be somewhat clearer in her instructions. :roll:
How much clearer do you guys want? Just rider faster! :lol: :lol: :lol:

insomniac

Postby insomniac » 21 Oct 2008, 12:16

the faster, faster bit we understand...its the where to bit that goes soemtimes goes astray under Coach Jo's tutelage 8) BTW today is a very slow day at work.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 21 Oct 2008, 12:30

Gosh, just look at what Coach Jo has to put up with. Big boys who still don't know north south east and west... :lol:

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 21 Oct 2008, 13:15

Coach Jo
Coach Joanne ha ha

The trick is not to ride behind Joanne, she doesn't provide enough aerodynamic benefit. Ride behind Stuart.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 21 Oct 2008, 13:54

The trick is not to ride behind Joanne, she doesn't provide enough aerodynamic benefit. Ride behind Stuart.
And getting behind Huw or Alan is the big prize.

insomniac

Postby insomniac » 21 Oct 2008, 20:16

Just so there is no confusion, I am most appreciative of Jo's input during the last few weekend's rides. She has certainly made Saturday's Centennial Park ride more interesting and more beneficial. I have defenitely benefited from her suggested training routines. Also I am sure that Jo's enthusiasm and good humour rubbed off on the "Slowies" group and helped push us on the Waterfall ride.

So a big thank you Jo!... and look forward to more training tips from you.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 21 Oct 2008, 20:30

Ummm... Maybe it's time for some of us to also downgrade to take in some of Coach Jo's pointers. This may be one of those very few occasions when one must slow down to go fast. :wink:

Toff

Postby Toff » 23 Oct 2008, 09:46

Coach Jo, can we call you "slow coach"?

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 23 Oct 2008, 15:18

Well just have to keep harassing Joanne until she responds

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 23 Oct 2008, 15:32

So where did Coach Jo go?

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 23 Oct 2008, 15:36

She's got a hair appointment

insomniac

Postby insomniac » 23 Oct 2008, 16:44

I hope Coach Jo checks in. I wanna know if she's attending this Sat' Slowies, 'cos if she is I'll take my normal road bike, in the expecation of more training suggestions from her. If she isn't attending, I'll ride my new SS I bought - its a cheap commute bike, not track and not fast, but wanna get practise on it, in readiness for work commutes. Besides I wanna find out what all the attraction is with these fixies. So Jo will you be there on Saturday?

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 23 Oct 2008, 19:37

I can't officially speak for Coach Jo as she's getting her hair done, but I can say that Jo WILL NOT be at slowies on Sat as we have a wedding to attend (Tanja and Dan the triathletes) at 10:30 and she's got to get prepared - I will however be at Slowies and although not as cute and lacking the coach tag, I will however be taking pace line training for anyone interested - we teach each other that is.

We'll both be on the Waterfall ride as its a lunchtime reception so we should be good to go on Sunday.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 23 Oct 2008, 20:24

OK - All you slowies, just because I am not coming Saturday does not mean that you guys get to slack off and stroll around the park like a couple of grannies at a tea party!!! I have a more important task of trying to get myself beautiful for a wedding which is a big job in itself...(not my wedding as Stuart hasn't asked me even after 15 years).

So the training regime this Saturday will be "Take Notice Insomniac": 1 hill lap, 1 flat lap Repeat. You can do these 2 laps racing a slower side giving them a few minutes start - meet back at entrance gate. You should be able to do 3 to 4 more sets of (Hill lap+flat lap), which include the sprint leg from our usual point to the entrance gate. You should go at your own pace up the hills and slow down for the slowies and let them catch up to ride the flat lap together (slowies - take princess turn at hill if buggered) If I hear you buggers slacked off - you will cop it on SUnday and I will make you join the fast guys as they pass us, then you will hurt! TRAIN HARD YOU SLOWIES - I'll have my spies out!

And Chris (toff) you are going to get it for calling slow!

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 23 Oct 2008, 20:57

And Chris (toff) you are going to get it for calling slow!
Duck for cover everyone, Coach Jo is out for blood... :lol:

Toff

Postby Toff » 24 Oct 2008, 09:32

Duck for cover everyone, Coach Jo is out for blood... :lol:
Now now, Jo... All I did was ask if I could call you "Slow Coach". A perfectly reasonable request since it appears that you are the cloach of the slowies.

...But to be safe, I think I'll keep my helmet on, even at the coffee shop.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 24 Oct 2008, 11:03

What's the coffee like at the shop at the top of the Grande pde?

williamd

Postby williamd » 24 Oct 2008, 18:58

There is a netti sale this weekend.

Return to “Road”