1950s steel road bike vs 2009 carbon road bike - TT

A place for those keen on vintage and retro bikes - steel is real.
marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 23 Dec 2011, 16:22

I was never one to get into the steel is real and carbon is plastic argument. If I have, it was largely for fun and nothing more.
In other words, my love of steel bikes has nothing to do with performance and more to do with the history and expertise behind them.

Came across an interesting comparison between carbon and steel and, surprise surprise, the carbon bike won.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiXlfA_k ... ure=fvwrel

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 23 Dec 2011, 17:03

Didn't even see the rider get on the TT bar for some serious performance differential.

Steel is for the heart. Latest CF is technology. Not in the same league.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 03 Jan 2012, 08:20

I read an article that was a similar test between a modern bike and an older steel framed one. It was with multiple riders, up and down a hill, half did it on the old bike first, and half on the modern bike first. Their speed, heart rate etc was all measured, but hidden from the rider, so they were doing it "blind".

The riders were also asked to rate various aspects of the bike on a scale of 1 to 10. The modern bike was always the fastest climber and descender, and the riders rated it higher than the old bike (especially around the handling). The only area where the old bike rated better was in the saddle.

James

Return to “Vintage Bicycles”