Mont 24 23 & 24 March in Canberra

For the MTB and mud/dirt/rock lovers...
Tam

Postby Tam » 20 Jan 2013, 09:24

Hi

I'm really keen to go in the Mont 24 team of 4 or 6. Am 40 so also qualify for that category. The ride is 95% full so we would need to get onto it pretty soon.

We would be fairly relaxed about it but (especially if a team of four) expect a fairly even distribution of laps!

Tam

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 30 Jan 2013, 13:55

Unfortunately I can't make it as I'm in Bateman's Bay that weekend. However, anyone is welcome to borrow my mountain bike who does not have one and is keen to do the ride. It is a medium Avanti Barracuda.

Tam

Postby Tam » 07 Apr 2013, 17:01

Had a fabulous weekend at the Mont 24 at Mt Kowen. Perfect weather, great camping and a fun vibe, as well as a great bunch of people. Our team 'Team Tim Tam' came 13th of 44 in our Open Mixed category. Alison 'AliG' from DHBC was fast, and we had Chris, a previous solo 24 hour racer, and Tim, a speedy 4 hour racer on the team. I was the slow one and did 3 laps to their 5 each.

The trail was 20k laps and I had a pretty nasty crash 12k's into the first lap. Cut up my leg and pretty messy and am still healing, but after a visit to the first aid tent managed to get back and do two more laps later. There were a lot of people on the track - 600 at any given time. Most people were great, but a few idiots trying to overtake on berms and through narrow gates. The biggest challenge we found was the dappled light in the pine forest making it hard to see - a few of us had crashes as a result, and lots of sharp rocks when you landed.

Night laps in the fog were a highlight. The live music en route was an unusual touch! Surreal to have duelling banjos in the middle of the forest, and a drummer in another spot, a band in another, in the middle of the night, in a forest, with lots of other riders.

Hope to do another one next year, maybe a little slower down that single track speedy downhill on the first lap next time. Then again, maybe not ;)

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 07 Apr 2013, 20:08

Those 24 hour races sound like crazy fun! Set to music even. Who knew?

Sorry you had a crash but kudos for getting back on the bike Tam!

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 08 Apr 2013, 08:58

Hi Tam, shame you cut your leg up, hope it heals well.

The 24hour sounds awesome

orphic

Postby orphic » 08 Apr 2013, 14:22

I was looking out for DHBC jerseys but didn't see one! Amazing how easy it is to not see people you know at these events. Usually I run into Alison but didn't see her at all :(

Great to hear you all had a good time. The course was fantastic - quite long for that style of race really so congrats on getting out there!!

- Victoria

AliG

Postby AliG » 08 Apr 2013, 22:24

I was looking out for you, Vic, but didn't see you. I saw that you and your team went really well, though. Congratulations! I liked the longer laps (well, except for the last lap). Though, with longer laps, I guess you really need to know how to fix your bike (which I don't...) Luckily, when I broke my chain, it was only 1.5km from the end and I could roll to the finish. I'm now much more interested in how to fix broken things on the run!
Alison

Return to “Mountain”