Query - training only membership.

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
fenn_paddler

Postby fenn_paddler » 14 May 2007, 14:26

Hi,

Apologies in advance for my comprehension skills, but how much does it cost to join DHBC just to do Sunday training rides?

Although the website mentions "there is no cost to ride with us. You can turn up to our training rides and as long as your equipment and helmet is suitable you can ride with us." it also mentions that the $10 and CA $50 charges provide coverage for all DHBC training events.

So my assumption is that you're welcome to turn up to one or two training rides, but after that it's expected you'd pay the $60 annual membership?

And lastly, if I'm already a member of Bicycle NSW (& therefore covered for liability and accident insurance), do I still need to pay the $50 for the cycling australia component?

Cheers,
Alan Whiteman

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 14 May 2007, 14:33

From what I understand, Bicycle NSW won't cover you for training with our club. I think that our Club Membership is at $10, but you need to join Cycling NSW as well.

They have two licenses, a RideIt License, which covers you for club training events, and a Race license, which allows you to race and covers you for that.

The RideIt license is about $50, and the race license is about $180, if you decied to upgrade to a Race license from a RideIt, you only have to pay the difference.

I think that the idea is that you are welcome to show up for a ride "off the cuff", but if you want to ride with us regularly, then we would expect you to join CA and the club so that you are covered.

James

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 14 May 2007, 22:34

Alan,

Great to hear you are a member of Bicycle NSW.

Both James and I are members, and I'm quite active in that organisation and we need plenty of people to help support the cycling cause.

One of the key benefits of Bicycle NSW is to offer $20m public liability and other insurances. Many people who cycle should consider this, particularly with the risks of knocking down a pedestrian on shared pathways, etc.

For other members of the club who do their own cycling outside of club organised activities I encourage everyone to consider BNSW affiliated insurance cover. Details are:

http://www.cyclecover.com.au/webcontent19.htm

Alan, its not clear whether BNSW Insurance covers you for Club rides, from reading information above. When you click on the Liability Insurance link you will have an insurance contact number. I would encourage you to give the insurer a call and ask them the question, as only they can probably answer this.

Nevertheless, as a Club, we are affiliated to Cycling NSW and Cycling Australia, and they provide specified insurance cover for organised training rides, so from a Club perspective we will recommend that all interested riders take out insurance through RideItLicence as a minimum.

(Brief Insurance details below):
http://www.cycling.org.au/AM/Template.c ... entID=8758

Of course there are many risks invovled with any cycling, and I encourage all participants to consider other top up insurances such as Income Protection, Disability and Death etc, as the two abovementioned insurances may not meet the differing needs and commitments of each of us.

fenn_paddler

Postby fenn_paddler » 15 May 2007, 10:22

Alan,

Great to hear you are a member of Bicycle NSW.

Both James and I are members, and I'm quite active in that organisation and we need plenty of people to help support the cycling cause.

One of the key benefits of Bicycle NSW is to offer $20m public liability and other insurances. Many people who cycle should consider this, particularly with the risks of knocking down a pedestrian on shared pathways, etc.

For other members of the club who do their own cycling outside of club organised activities I encourage everyone to consider BNSW affiliated insurance cover. Details are:

http://www.cyclecover.com.au/webcontent19.htm

Alan, its not clear whether BNSW Insurance covers you for Club rides, from reading information above. When you click on the Liability Insurance link you will have an insurance contact number. I would encourage you to give the insurer a call and ask them the question, as only they can probably answer this.

Nevertheless, as a Club, we are affiliated to Cycling NSW and Cycling Australia, and they provide specified insurance cover for organised training rides, so from a Club perspective we will recommend that all interested riders take out insurance through RideItLicence as a minimum.

(Brief Insurance details below):
http://www.cycling.org.au/AM/Template.c ... entID=8758

Of course there are many risks invovled with any cycling, and I encourage all participants to consider other top up insurances such as Income Protection, Disability and Death etc, as the two abovementioned insurances may not meet the differing needs and commitments of each of us.
Hi Geoff,

I agree that BNSW membership is a good thing - we have the household coverage as it's easy to see how easily you can come unstuck when you regularly take your 5 & 10 y/o's on some of Sydney's more heavily utilised bike paths.

I contacted Cyclecover and they advised that their insurance covers you whenver you're on a bike (including training rides). They also advised that as DHBC is affiliated with CA, the CA membership (and corresponding insurance) would probably be required by the club. So I'll definitely go ahead and arrange that ASAP.

Cheers,
Alan Whiteman

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 15 May 2007, 10:37

I contacted Cyclecover and they advised that their insurance covers you whenver you're on a bike (including training rides).
That's good to know.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 15 May 2007, 21:26

I contacted Cyclecover and they advised that their insurance covers you whenver you're on a bike (including training rides). They also advised that as DHBC is affiliated with CA, the CA membership (and corresponding insurance) would probably be required by the club. So I'll definitely go ahead and arrange that ASAP.

Cheers,
Alan Whiteman
That's good to know. You probably have it covered from all angles, which is a good option. Not everyone knows of BNSW or has insurance, which is why CA has its own version to meet specific needs of its affiliated clubs.

Thanks for finding out.

Return to “Conversation”