It's the little things...

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
jimmy

Postby jimmy » 19 Apr 2008, 12:00

I needed to get a bike box today, the closest bike shop to me is the notoriously bad King Street Cyclery.

Despite this, I walked out of there empty handed. Why, because they want $2 for a bike box.

Yes, that's right, those cardboard boxes that the bikes come in, that bike shops end up with by the truck load, which they then pay to take to the tip, they want to charge you to take off their hands.

Now, I know that $2 isn't a lot of money, but most shops will a) give them to you gladly, and b) will be in shock that another shop will charge for them.

The other shop where I ended up getting one (Cell) said that they almost want to pay people to take them with them, because they are a hassle for most bike shops.

I knew that they had this policy a while ago, but I was hoping that they had come to their senses and decided to drop the charge.

James

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 19 Apr 2008, 12:29

Do they really have to pay to get rid of them? I thought they are a bit like those supermarket boxes. Once upon a time they were plentiful but now they are now almost non-existent. I always thought that they were sending them out for recycling and get paid for it.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 19 Apr 2008, 13:02

I assume that they take them to a recycling centre or a tip, where it isn't uncommon to have to pay as you are a business.

James

fenn_paddler

Postby fenn_paddler » 19 Apr 2008, 13:54

I needed to get a bike box today, the closest bike shop to me is the notoriously bad King Street Cyclery.

Despite this, I walked out of there empty handed. Why, because they want $2 for a bike box.

Yes, that's right, those cardboard boxes that the bikes come in, that bike shops end up with by the truck load, which they then pay to take to the tip, they want to charge you to take off their hands.

Now, I know that $2 isn't a lot of money, but most shops will a) give them to you gladly, and b) will be in shock that another shop will charge for them.

The other shop where I ended up getting one (Cell) said that they almost want to pay people to take them with them, because they are a hassle for most bike shops.

I knew that they had this policy a while ago, but I was hoping that they had come to their senses and decided to drop the charge.

James
It's definitely the little things that make a difference. Years ago when I lived in Burns bay Road Lane Cove I got very excited when a quality bike shop opened up at the top near len wallis (lend wallet) audio. This was back when I spent a bit of money on bikes, and the first time I went in there was when I needed a single bolt to replace one that had come loose from a bidon cage. They dug one out of the tin of spares and out of politeness I asked how much it would be, expecting "don't worry about it" but no he was happy to hit me up for three dollars. Which put me off the shop but then I was in there again a year ago and the place has expanded and is thriving, as appears to be happening with King St. So there you go maybe that's the attitude you need to have to make a go of an LBS in Australia!

Cheers,
Alan

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 19 Apr 2008, 15:37

Yes, every cent count in some of those LBSs. The good news is, the LBS on Darling St is very reasonable on this account when the manager said that there's no charge for truing a wheel of mine, but added that do come back for your major service. I told him that I do my own service and I would feel better if I paid him for that job. $10 it was. I am happy.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 19 Apr 2008, 15:51

Alan

That sounds like Josh at Renegade all right. I know that Renegade is a more expensive shop, but the people who he employs are more likely to say "don't worry about it", but not within Josh's hearing... Last week I got a piece of cable housing for nothing (but I was buying two tubes at the same time).

Put it like this though, if I worked at a bike shop, I would be embarrassed to ask for money for a bike box.

At the end of the day, I would have thought that reputation is everything. Generally in the biking community, Renegade has a reputation of being good quality workmanship, good people who won't oversell, but at the end of the day, expensive.

In the bike community, King Street Cyclery's name is Mud (but that is an insult to lots of good quality mud). And Cell bikes is quickly going that way as well.

James

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 19 Apr 2008, 19:09

$10 for a bike box at the airport. Of course you have the convenience of been able to ride to the airport.

fenn_paddler

Postby fenn_paddler » 19 Apr 2008, 19:28

Alan

That sounds like Josh at Renegade all right. I know that Renegade is a more expensive shop, but the people who he employs are more likely to say "don't worry about it", but not within Josh's hearing... Last week I got a piece of cable housing for nothing (but I was buying two tubes at the same time).

James
Mate. With the effort you've put into the renegade training group website...they should be rolling out the red carpet rather than just giving you the occasional piece of cable housing!

Cheers,
Alan

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 19 Apr 2008, 20:57

$10 for a bike box at the airport. Of course you have the convenience of been able to ride to the airport.
I wouldn't call packing your bike at the airport as a convenience. Much prefer to have it packed at home than to rush for it at the airport.

timyone

Postby timyone » 19 Apr 2008, 22:25

yeah the airport charge you :S

Return to “Conversation”