THe Flying Scotsman dvd..

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 27 Feb 2008, 17:45

Is the Flying Scotsman out on DVD in Australia yet or coming out in Australia? I bought a copy over here of it yesterday and it was expensive but I though since it was only on at one cinema in Sydney it may not come out on dvd & I would have to mail order it anyway.

Has anybody seen it on dvd yet? I've got it now anyway though..

Toff

Postby Toff » 27 Feb 2008, 18:06

Not seen it, but be careful with DVDs bought in Europe. They are not always compatible with Australian DVD players since we are in a different zone. I am told that in Australia many DVD players are unlocked for other zones, but if you haven't tested a foreign DVD out before, then it's probably safer to defer all such purchases until you take that one back and try it out.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 27 Feb 2008, 18:21

Can't answer the question, but it shouldn't be too long before its available for hire.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 27 Feb 2008, 22:05

One site has it for about $35 pre-order. Release date in Australia seems to be 5th March. I don't think you'd have too much trouble with the european DVD anyway, and if you do, there are ways around it....

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 27 Feb 2008, 22:10

Chris is right, zoning is an issue for DVD purchases outside of one's home country/region. Now the good news, just about all the cheap Chinese DVD players are zone independent (try Chinatown and Ashfield), whereas those more expensive named brands DVD players are often zone locked.

Flying Scotsman is now out on DVD. I only just saw it last week sitting on the shelf at our local DVD rental place.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 27 Feb 2008, 22:21

Good to know it's out, i only did a quick google.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 28 Feb 2008, 01:28

I'll wait till I get back & see if it works or not? I can always mail it back to family as a cheap Christmas present...

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 28 Feb 2008, 06:35

Actually, it is illegal to sell a DVD player in Australia that can't be unlocked. If your DVD player doesn't like the DVD (because of Region) search the 'net for your model of player along with "unlock code".

This went before the ACCC a few years ago, and this was the end result. Ironically, when DVD's first came out, the region coding was done in an attempt to stop piracy, but if anything it contributed to it.

James

fenn_paddler

Postby fenn_paddler » 28 Feb 2008, 06:58

Is the Flying Scotsman out on DVD in Australia yet or coming out in Australia? I bought a copy over here of it yesterday and it was expensive but I though since it was only on at one cinema in Sydney it may not come out on dvd & I would have to mail order it anyway.

Has anybody seen it on dvd yet? I've got it now anyway though..
I've watched a torrent edition of the movie a month back & thought it was the worst cycling movie since American Flyers. Be interesting to see what others think....they made Graeme, the lead character, a not particularly likeable person.

Cheers,
Alan

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 28 Feb 2008, 07:27

Actually, it is illegal to sell a DVD player in Australia that can't be unlocked.
That is absolutely correct but I note that even some major chains carry multi-region DVD players, quietly.

The irony of it all is, a decent Chinese DVD players out of China can be had for under $50, and in my experience, they are far better than those high end models. I've managed to play many old scratched up DVD/CDs properly in one of those cheapies when the "quality" name brands just refuse to even read the disc. And then there's this region issue. So for me, the choice now is a bit of a no-brainer.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 28 Feb 2008, 08:18

Yeh, I go for the sub $50 Chinese ones, just make sure your got at least 2 of them, so you know that ones working

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 28 Feb 2008, 08:36

Yeh, I go for the sub $50 Chinese ones, just make sure your got at least 2 of them, so you know that ones working
Actually, the cheapie we have has been working very reliably. I have no problem in recommending it to people as their sole unit.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 28 Feb 2008, 08:47

Actually, the cheapie we have has been working very reliably. I have no problem in recommending it to people as their sole unit.
I have one that I brought for $300 way way back. Apparently 90% of them failed in the first 12 months. Mine still works, but I don't use it very often, as it predates burnt DVD's and doesn't handle them particularly well.

Toff

Postby Toff » 28 Feb 2008, 10:45

... thought it was the worst cycling movie since American Flyers.
AMERICAN FLYERS!!!! - Now I've got that tune stuck in my head! :o

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 28 Feb 2008, 11:06

Haven't heard of American Flyers, anyone got it?

Toff

Postby Toff » 28 Feb 2008, 11:49

Haven't heard of American Flyers, anyone got it?
Early 80s Hollywood attempt to create a cycling "Chariots of Fire". Starred Kevin Costner, I think, but it's really bad. The movie comes down to a showdown race in the Colarado mountains with 2 good guys racing against the bad guys who are tough motherf***ers, who try to cheat and bully their way through the pack.

At least this is what I remember... I think one guy gets pushed over a mountain ledge down a sheer vertical drop, but somehow survives. Good to laugh at how Hollywood viewed cycling, especially etiquette & tactics.

And the theme tune.... AMERICAN FLYERS!!!

I taped it off TV, but didn't keep it after I watched it.

Toff

Postby Toff » 28 Feb 2008, 11:50

I've never seen Breaking Away. Anyone got that one?

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 28 Feb 2008, 18:39

I've watched a torrent edition of the movie a month back & thought it was the worst cycling movie since American Flyers. Be interesting to see what others think....they made Graeme, the lead character, a not particularly likeable person.

Cheers,
Alan
I really like the film. I saw it at the movies on the last day they were showing it as well. Have you read the book? I think the reason they made the character of Graeme a bit cold is to try and bring out the effects of the depression he suffered from pretty heavily through his career. From that perspective I think they did a really good job. I really reccommend the film, I particularly like how they have done the velodrome scenes. I think they've done a farily good job in emulating the real thing....

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 29 Feb 2008, 06:51

Cheapie DVD players are more successful that the expensive ones because they don't adhere to the DVD standard as closely.

This sounds odd, but the Expensive ones are very strict about what they can and can't play. The cheap ones, kinda go, yeah, it's a disc, I can read it (kinda) so lets just play it.

I have heard that from several people. I had a quick look on Dick Smith's site, and they had a DVD player for $30. At that price, who cares if you only get 3 months out of it!

James

fenn_paddler

Postby fenn_paddler » 29 Feb 2008, 08:13

I really like the film. I saw it at the movies on the last day they were showing it as well. Have you read the book? I think the reason they made the character of Graeme a bit cold is to try and bring out the effects of the depression he suffered from pretty heavily through his career. From that perspective I think they did a really good job. I really reccommend the film, I particularly like how they have done the velodrome scenes. I think they've done a farily good job in emulating the real thing....
Haven't read the book but will keep an eye out for it. Even though Graeme was from suffering depression, they could have done a much, much better job of drawing the viewer into his plight. Another docu-movie I saw at around the same time was deep water - about a character that left his young family to selfishly follow his dream of winning the first solo around the world yacht race in 1968. He was a hopeless sailor, hopeless organisor, was in the wrong type of boat & ended up painting himself into a corner by fibbing about his plotted position as the race progressed. He ended up jumping overboard & suiciding rather than face the consequences of his actions. So a hard character to like, but the story was compelling because the filmaker was able to draw you into the story. Although you knew how it all ended you were sort of hoping it would end up alright, even if just for his family, whereas in the Obree film I was kind of hoping he'd make a success of his suicide attempt! And the cycling officials with the german accents. Talk about cardboard cutout characters! Anyway sorry for waffling.

Cheers,
Alan

Cheers,
Alan

Return to “Conversation”