Bike Boxes on planes

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
geoff m

Postby geoff m » 25 Jul 2015, 17:56

Anyone know the deal with traveling with a bike on Virgin and Jetstar, boxes, costs, implications for other checked luggage etc?

Adam W

Postby Adam W » 25 Jul 2015, 18:30

For Jetstar, you just need to purchase enough kgs to cover the weight of the bike/box. Ends up being pretty cheap for a domestic flight.

Not sure about Virgin.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 25 Jul 2015, 19:15

any estimates of a standard road bike in a bike box for approx weight? Not the type of superlight super small bike that Trouty would ride.....a normal one.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 25 Jul 2015, 21:04

I flew Melbourne return 2013 Virgin down, Jetstar return. I borrowed Peter T's bike box.

For Virgin I had luggage allocation for both of us and presented my bike for check-in only (one item in total) to be told that I couldn't combine baggage allocations and they wanted to charge me something approaching my air fare. I said I would repack the box into 2 pieces so we could check one piece each, a bluff as I didn't have another suitcase and they decided to wave it thru.

Return with Jetstar I had booked luggage allocation but having had it weighed by Virgin for the down trip, I knew I was over the Virgin allocation. However the box didn't fit on the weigh in scales and they asked me what the weight was and for that particular moment I completely forgot the weight that Virgin quoted and estimated the weight slightly below what I had booked. Once home I realised that I had made a mistake.

As for the weight estimate, you need to think about what you are putting in with the bike. According to Cycling Australia my track bike weighs 8.2kg, however the bike box would of weighed almost as much. Add to that tools that can't be carried on as hand luggage and it could go over 20kg. Use a disposable cardboard box and you get the weight reduced but its not as secure as a proper box like Peter's

Adam W

Postby Adam W » 25 Jul 2015, 23:15

From memory about 17kgs for my (not particularly light) road bike in a cardboard box.

I'd recommend unbolting your rear derailleur too just incase.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 26 Jul 2015, 15:31

On Jetstar just buy the max kgs allowed, which I think is 30kg. My semi-hard Evoc bike bag and bike weighs in at ~19kg's (without helmet, shoes, tools etc) so a box would be way less. Then add 10kgs of checked clothes, tools, bike shoes etc. They are really cracking down on cabin baggage, or so I've been told so don't expect to take more than the allowed 7kgs.

We are actually looking at buying these boxes for our next trips as we nearly didn't get all our stuff on the plane in Barcelona without crippling excess baggage costs >> http://envirobikebox.com.au/

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 27 Jul 2015, 11:20

My TT bike in my BIKND bag regularly weighs in at around 23-24kg (the bag is 11kg). On the Sunshine Coast it weighed in at 25kg. $70 later with Virgin for being 2 kilos over after getting through check in in Sydney with no problems. I was very annoyed. I am happy to play by the rules as long as they show consistency. After flying multiple times with Virgin this was the first time they had charged me.

Return to “Conversation”