Commute from Dully to chatty

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 06 Feb 2015, 11:07

Hi all,

Does anyone do a commute from our area to Chatswood that I can get some route selection tips for? I may need to work in a site office there and would like a safe quick route to bike there...

Cheers

Simon

James Rogers

Postby James Rogers » 06 Feb 2015, 11:57

I go Newtown to Lane Cove North, the "long" way --through the city, over SHB, up Miller and West Streets to the bike path. There's a couple of turn offs from the bike path towards Chatty.

Burns Bay Rd is faster/shorter by 3-4km, but more mental.

Peter Teow does Croydon(?) to Chatswood, via Burns Bay Rd.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 06 Feb 2015, 12:56

I used to do Dulwich Hill to St Leonards and then Chatswood. Getting there is easy - Anzac Bridge, Kent St. Cycleway and Harbour Bridge and straight up the Pacific Hwy. Traffic is going the other way and it's 3 lanes so plenty of room.

Coming home there was always too much traffic on the Hwy so I used to go the bike route from Chatswood. It starts on the Victoria Rd side of the train station down a little alley next to the new residential buildings there. Some of the signs are difficult to spot but it will take you all the way to West St.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 06 Feb 2015, 13:18

Here is a Strava file:
https://www.strava.com/activities/31285069

I had moved to Marrickville by this point but my route takes you past Dulwich Hill.

andrewm

Postby andrewm » 06 Feb 2015, 13:57

Your friend Chris does Lilyfield to Chatswood. That's the tricky part. Worth talking to him.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 06 Feb 2015, 15:30

Thanks all, I was hoping the burns bay option would have been better but alas, looks like more kms and a longer ride :(

Thanks for the tip off Andrew, I'll message crispy for some tips

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 06 Feb 2015, 19:07

I use to ride straight up the Pacific Hwy to St Leonards then turn right and follow the railway tracks past Artarmon train station and on to Chatswood.

Other routes on the north side I use to take were;
- the one Jo described
- as per Jo's except ditching the bike path when you got to the tracks and past Artarmon train station
- on return leg, as per Jo's except you jump on the motorway at Cammeray
- straight up the Pacific all the way to Chatswood
- a rather complex route in the back roads west of Pacific hwy between North Sydney and St Leonards. Good if you want to do extra hills. If you really want to know this route then let me know, its not obvious by looking at the map.
- when its a nice day and your got plenty of time on the return leg, then you take the bike path but turn left at the very bottom and follow the bike path that goes under the road above a creek. You follow that all the way to the end then you get lost on some back streets till you find one you know and head south.
- catch the ferry between Birchgrove and Greenwich Point. Means you can take bike paths around iorncove and back streets into Brichgrove. On the other side the road is reasonably quiet and there was a way of cutting around/thru the hospital and back Streets in Artarmon but I forget that route. That's a fun route but it means you need to know the ferry times.
- returning you can also take Centennial, Burns Bay, Gladesville Bridge, back steets to Ironcove. This route for sports riders only

And there's more but that's enough to digest in one hit. The North Side is a complex place :)

Anthony K

Postby Anthony K » 06 Feb 2015, 20:37

Simon,

My very conservative routes today:
In the Morning I go over Gladesville bridge.
I generally go up the footpath on Burns Bay Rd between LC River and Corner of Centenial. The road there is sometimes OK and sometimes like kiddies in dodgems.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/690715271

In the afternoon i go this way if i leave Chatswood before 7pm
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/690893158
and this way if I leave after 7pm
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/623040298

Straight up the highway is fine early in the morning. Not so fine at peak hour.

GVB is 2 or 3 Km shorter than going through the city.

Anthony

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 06 Feb 2015, 21:17

Thanks mike and Anthony.

Mike, Google option was to go via the ferry, but one in an hour on the return leg is not realistic! Could be a goer there though. Hills.. Hmm, I may have to incorporate training in some mornings.

Anthony, thanks for those. Perhaps the shorter way could be an option. Looks like you save a heap if you travel after 7pm!

I was hoping it could be done in under 1hr. Going from a 30min commute to double that eats into the training time so quicker is better on training days.

utopia

Postby utopia » 09 Feb 2015, 11:50

This is my Strava route from Canterbury to Chatswood.

https://www.strava.com/activities/102088750
It includes the Burns Bay (official state off-road) path and is generally a pleasant ride other than the elevation gain.
If I have done it in under an hour, including stopping at lights, I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem from Dulwich Hill

https://www.strava.com/activities/114337272
On this particular ride, Dobroyd Parade was too congested/slow and I took a detour and the path and also the very scenic Five Docks bay (The Esplande) and it was 1:06 door to door

Less elevation gain on the way back , hence it is much faster, typically sub 50minutes
https://www.strava.com/activities/102114666

Ps: it seems that on my Tapatalk app , not all the links are showing up

Jdubs

Postby Jdubs » 13 Feb 2015, 16:57

After you go over the harbour bridge take Miller st which is a nice climb, then left on Ernst st, you should be in Crows nest by now take Willoughby Rd all the way until Victoria rd. You should be in chatswood.

Lots of climbing.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 13 Feb 2015, 17:35

I use to catch the ferry once in a while for something different to do. I was well aware of the ferry times and only did it when I knew it was going to match in.

Anthony K as been commuting that way as long as I can remember. If there's a route he doesn't know, then its not worth knowing

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 13 Feb 2015, 21:48

Thanks again all. Plenty to ponder before I start travelling there. May do some trial runs before the official rides and sus out the options!

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 16 Feb 2015, 15:18

I do Enmore to North Sydney via Lane Cove.

I just go Johnston Street, Victoria Rd, Burns Bay Rd and then down the Pacific Highway. It can be hairy going over the Gladesville Bridge and riding up Burns Bay Rd. I leave home at about 6:30am so the traffic is a bit lighter then, but still heavy enough to be a problem.

If you're confident riding in heavy traffic and confident riding up hills with cars driving past a bit too close for comfort at times, then you'll be fine.

Return to “Conversation”