The next step - Bio electronic gear shifting

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 29 Nov 2014, 20:47

I am sure some of you have already heard how a wireless electronic gear shifting system is being tested by SRAM - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yn_U7vcB4g

Now there appears to be further progress, however when it makes it's commercial debut is not known.
Bio-electronic gear shifting has been developed by a Baron Biosystems. A GCN video of this was released on the 10th of Oct 2014.

This can be viewed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCNRqMUigZU

This system reacts to your cadence, heart rate and power meter and using an algorithm which calculates the best gear the rider needs for a specific situation, keeping the rider in optimal gear at all times.

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 01 Dec 2014, 07:44

This system reacts to your cadence, heart rate and power meter and using an algorithm which calculates the best gear the rider needs for a specific situation, keeping the rider in optimal gear at all times.
Hmmmm.... an analogy to the wife in the back seat may be misinterpreted.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 01 Dec 2014, 16:28

OK, so I haven't read the article or watched the video, but at this stage, I don't think I would be a fan of this unless there is still a manual override.

I know that if you want to put an attack in, you tend to shift gears up, get out of the saddle and then hammer it, but with the gearing not being under your control, you wouldn't be able to do this, you would have to wait for the system to detect the increase in cadence/power/HR before it would shift to a higher gear.

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 01 Dec 2014, 16:42

Watch the video. There is a manual over ride.
So it is essentially a hybrid system; you can leave it and it will change the gears for you, or you can change gears via the shifters.

Return to “Conversation”