What causes so many punctures in the rain?

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
geoff m

Postby geoff m » 16 Feb 2014, 20:55

Ok. Today in the wet Mr Kenway had 2 punctures, one in each wheel. Someone else I heard doing RNP got 2 punctures as well today.

So why is it that there are so many punctures in the rain (even without Michael Clement's presence)?

At the coffee shop, we discussed the theories, and 3 different and very plausible sounding explanations came out, all very different.

So, here's your chance to put your view.

I want facts, studies, and scientific data.

Hopefully it will be solved!

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 16 Feb 2014, 20:58

BTW, I heard back from Randwick Botany today that the lady we stopped to assist after her crash and was taken away by the ambo was cleared of any breaks or fractures. A good news story.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 17 Feb 2014, 03:02

Glad to hear the Lady has avoided broken bones

The water acts as a lubricant allowing small sharp objects to more easily slide into the rubber outer shell of your tyre. The water also moves the objects around on the road meaning you encounter more small sharp objects when riding in the wet.

BTW my puncture tally for 2014 to date is still zero :), so you guys are way ahead of me :)

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 17 Feb 2014, 07:22

My theory was always that water sticks together, and therefore the water, coupled with the little sharp objects one finds on the road, all stick together, stick on your tyre and work their way in.

Clearly steeped in much scientific data.

Philip

Postby Philip » 17 Feb 2014, 08:55

no, no, no. It's clearly Murphy's Law!
Fixing a flat with the whole bunch of your fellow cyclists standing around watching is obviously far worse in the rain, ipso facto more punctures in the rain.

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 17 Feb 2014, 11:25

Well, I have just come out of the wind tunnel and have a significant body of work consisting of not only empirical data but also anecdotal evidence. The data would suggest that on the balance of probabilities that tyres are only ever flat on the bottom of the wheel and never at any other point on the circumference.

A wet road has no impact on this fact. The likelihood of a flat tyre is directly proportionate to the negative thoughts of the rider or the vocalising of the desire to PR a Strava segment.

The last conclusion drawn from the wind tunnel test was that anything done in a wind tunnel delivers 20 secs over 40 KM. Yes, even changing a tyre in the wind tunnel is 20 secs faster.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 17 Feb 2014, 19:01

I believe it's a conspiracy. I've lined my helmet with tinfoil to protect myself.

andrewm

Postby andrewm » 17 Feb 2014, 19:50

I believe it's a conspiracy. I've lined my helmet with tinfoil to protect myself.
Hence you avoid riding in the rain in case of lightening strike.

No more punctures in the rain. It works.

Anthony K

Postby Anthony K » 17 Feb 2014, 22:50

Well I was +%{\>* off at getting two flats on one ride but I was quite proud that the first one was fixed in record time. The tyre just seems to slip off and on the rim as easy as pie. The second one took longer as I couldn't find the culprit but apart from the slow search it was easy as pie again.
Is it just the extra bit of lubrication or does someone have a more fanciful theory?

jcaley

Postby jcaley » 18 Feb 2014, 13:07

Theory 1. The water causes any glass chip lying in low spots on the road to be sucked up by the rubber wheel as it is pressed down and then lifted off (as it rolls over)
Theory 1.1 The water causes any glass chip s lying in low spots on the road to be sloshed around by the tire as it is coming down and some end up pointing up as the tire is pressed and onto them
Theory 2. A glass shard touching the wheel sometimes gets stuck to the tire by surface tension and rides around a revolution until it hits the road and gets a chance to stick in.
Theory 3. The wet rubber doesn't grip the glass that is sticking in. I.e. the cutting lubrication theory

Return to “Conversation”