Couriers: workplace delivery of private parcels banned

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Colin Campbell

Postby Colin Campbell » 07 Feb 2014, 10:24

Although now retired and not affected, I just heard my former office (about 600 staff) has implemented a "no personal parcel delivery" policy. Seems 80% of courier deliveries to the office are private and require the receiving staff to perform the non-productive functions of sign for the parcel, notify and ensure the proper person gets their interweb purchase!

Granted this is a cost to the office but doesn't it align with the provision of showers, kitchen areas, secure bike parking, sport and recreation facilities etc, all meant to increase morale and humanise the workplace? It is still going to require someone to determine if the parcel is private or work-related etc.

Seems a bit draconian and out of touch to me!

Is this common practice in the business world?

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 07 Feb 2014, 12:05

Not anywhere that I have worked!

Personally I limit the deliveries to the expensive ones (ie the ones I don't want lying on my front step). All offices I've worked at have been more than happy. I guess they want to keep the people happy!

Philip

Postby Philip » 07 Feb 2014, 12:39

I let myself receive my parcels at my work. But then I'm a very forbearing boss, and a very appreciative employee.

Tod511

Postby Tod511 » 07 Feb 2014, 13:14

The standing joke at my workplace is that if a parcel is delivered it must be for me accompanied by the usual "what have you bought now?". Which I follow up with "its not for me - its for my wife/daughter/dog etc"

It has reached to point where the receiving area just direct the courier to my area for me to sign.

All jokes aside, it provides the best alternative. Deliveries are more efficient to the CBD rather than the suburbs. It also avoids having parcels thrown onto my porch or having to stand in line for 30 minutes at AusPost to collect. My employer is fine with the arrangement.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 07 Feb 2014, 16:13

I always used to get it delivered to work. Head office was OK though I didn't do it very often. But when on site it was fantastic. Wiggle orders would arrive within days and with such a small office I would sign for it and smuggle it into my bag, no one the wiser. I agree with Todd, vastly more efficient and you don't need to get to a post office that is closed on the weekends.

The only odd moment was when I got a bike bag delivered to head office. A few odd looks.

The new job? Haven't worked it out yet. Andrew Harvey might be able to shed some light. But the reception girls are intimidating so I dare not try... :lol:

scully

Postby scully » 08 Feb 2014, 13:34

http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/parcel-lockers.html
If your work isn't cool with deliveries and it doesn't suit to get delivery at home there are 24/7 parcel lockers. Free!. They aren't everywhere yet but depending on where you live or work may be handy for some people.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 08 Feb 2014, 16:17

Under these circumstances Chidgey has the best job

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 09 Feb 2014, 07:03

http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/parcel-lockers.html
If your work isn't cool with deliveries and it doesn't suit to get delivery at home there are 24/7 parcel lockers. Free!
Only available at Leichhardt, Burwood and Strathfield South, for us Inner Westies. Hopefully might spread with time. I think I have lost at least 1 parcel to date. Have a boys high school up wind from where I live (teenage boys love parcesl?) and posties often put parcels in my tiny letter box. Have complained to the local post office in writing (via AusPost website) but never received a reply. Practice continues. Get stuff sent to the office now.
Great info Dayna.

scully

Postby scully » 15 Apr 2014, 19:44

Newtown has them now. They have moved to enmore rd- next to oportos

Return to “Conversation”