Love Your Sister - Garvan Institute: Unicycle World Record

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 20 Jun 2013, 07:59

I know we are a 'bi'cycle club, but this is a pretty amazing story about a brother and sister, Samuel and Connie, looking to break the unicycle world record by riding around Australia.

The catch? Connie is dying of cancer and so they are using this as a way to raise awareness and funds for the Garvan Institute.

Some of you will recognise Samuel Johnson from The Secret Life of Us...

You can read all about it, and make a donation, here:

http://loveyoursister.org/index.php

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 20 Jun 2013, 09:23

I heard about this on the squeeky wheel (ABC Bike Show that is broadcast on ABC 702 Digital on Sunday Afternoons). As someone who can unicycle, and has done some distance on one, I can honestly say that he's out of his mind.

He did a ride several years ago that was either Sydney to Melbourne or Melbourne to Sydney, and the impression that I got was that at the end of it, he regretted his decision. He will have to do about 7 times the distance to do an Australia Loop.

I did a bike ride and the organiser of that was involved in his Melboune/Sydney ride, and he said that it was an interesting experience from his point of view.

If he does it, then good effort. But I'm going to wait and see how far he gets first.

James

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 20 Jun 2013, 09:36

Well he's halfway there - he's in Perth! There was a live cross on The Project last night. His sister is very ill and has been hospitalized numerous times but she is still hoping to be at the finish line.

You can read the blog through the link on the site.

Anthony K

Postby Anthony K » 20 Jun 2013, 20:02

The furthest I ever ride my unicycle was probably 5 km's if that.
At the end of that I needed a Nanna Nap.
Riding a unicycle is hard work along the flat, harder up hill and harder still on the down hill.
I just can't conceive how hard this would be.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 20 Jun 2013, 21:03

If you want to watch Sam riding the unicycle first hand see this link:
http://theprojecttv.com.au/video.htm?vid=2489567402001

The interview starts at 26mins.

I particularly like the part where Samuel gets abused by a Perth motorist for slowing up traffic. In response Sam lets him know he's raising money for breast cancer and the driver responds with 'good on ya mate'...

Have the tissues ready.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 25 Jun 2013, 10:50

Well he's halfway there - he's in Perth! There was a live cross on The Project last night. His sister is very ill and has been hospitalized numerous times but she is still hoping to be at the finish line.

You can read the blog through the link on the site.
Looking at the map and doing some numbers he seems to be doing about 90km/day, that's reasonable on the unicycle that he's on (36" wheel).

So it does look like he's getting there and doing well.

James

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 03 Dec 2013, 14:26

For those who were discussing it on the ride this morning, it turns out Samuel Johnson is on Strava!
http://app.strava.com/athletes/1702166? ... sister.org

They've hit the million dollar mark and he has ridden over 12,000km on his unicycle.

Return to “Conversation”