Fonetard ...

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Stuart

Postby Stuart » 19 Dec 2012, 07:48

Not sure about whether this is a good idea but I like the intent

http://indolentdandy.net/fonetard/

Hashtag

Postby Hashtag » 19 Dec 2012, 08:12

Not sure where to write this, figured this is kind of similar, but don't want to turn this into a "hate" thread. I'm really not a fan of going through round-abouts with a car right next me. I strive to avoid this, but sometimes you just get caught out. This morning a had a learner driver, in a school car come through right next to me. It got me to thinking, no wonder these sorts of things happen, if even a professional driving instructors teach new drivers that this is ok. I can't for the life of me remember the driving school. I thought I would write to the powers that be, but I am unsure who that is? Does anyone know if all these driving schools are governed by a particular institute?

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 19 Dec 2012, 08:42

Feel uncomfortable with his approach.
Not making excuses for bad or inconsiderate drivers, but his demeanour comes across wrong.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 19 Dec 2012, 13:49

Would be so ironic if a DHBC member was caught as one of the drivers... Lucky it's a predominantly Victorian website.

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 19 Dec 2012, 15:30

Would be so ironic if a DHBC member was caught as one of the drivers
Including sucking on a ciggy...

Philip

Postby Philip » 19 Dec 2012, 15:38

Agree with Marc, justified or not we have no need for agro cyclists on top of all the agro drivers.

Anthony K

Postby Anthony K » 19 Dec 2012, 19:33

I find this extremely negative. This person damaging rather than improving the relationship between motorists and cyclists.
It is the basic "two wrongs don't make a right" principle that we should all have been taught as a child.
I think the name and shame benefit that may have been possible has been completely negated by the abusive nature of the cyclist.
Not only are the drivers involved more likely to behave badly toward cyclists in the future, so are some of the pedestrians. :(

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 06 Jan 2013, 20:00

I remember reading somewhere, probably in the war of words which invariably occurs when there are comments about cyclists on the road on any media site.

There are just bad road users. Some of these are on two wheels, some are on four wheels, and some of them have many more. Some of them are under their own power, and some aren't.

That is the problem, sites like this don't achieve much for one simple reason, the drivers who are caught out are unlikely to ever see that they were twigged. I remember hearing a statistic, and it was something like 80% of drivers believe that they are above average in ability. If that is true, then that is part of the problem, it means that whenever there is an altercation between two road users, that both drivers probably think that they're more skilled, and as a result, blame the other road user, this then probably leads to an increase in road rage.

There are plenty of drivers out there, who think that they are able to use a mobile phone and drive at the same time without it affecting their ability to control a 1.5t mass being propelled at 60km/hr. They will also resent the police if they get booked, and feel that the law is there to generate revenue for the government. You will never get through to these people, they are the classic "it will never happen to me" and "I'm a good driver" despite all evidence that you present them to the contrary.

Return to “Conversation”