steel frame car

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 22 Nov 2007, 14:21

quick question...

I'm about to do a fixie conversion on an old steal frame. I've heard that people will often put something inside the tubes to stop rust. Any suggestions for whats good use?

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 22 Nov 2007, 14:28

I read that engine oil is one. Or use that rust proofing material used for car bodies.

Huw

Postby Huw » 22 Nov 2007, 15:31

Fish oil is often used. I think Peter Bundy used linseed oil in my frame (could smell it). There are proprietary products such as JP Wiegle Frame Saver. See what the boys at Surly have to say about it.

Since the frame is old, would you assume that it's already subject to some corrosion? In this case would one be better off treating with some kind of rust converter? Or would a sticky oil be fine.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 22 Nov 2007, 15:47

usually the process would be a rust remover/convertor first, to try and get rid of the rust that may be present, and then treat with a rust preventer, fish oil being the cheapest. I was supposed to treat my frame when i built it up as a fixie, and i think you're supposed to do it every year or so, but mine's been fine so far, and i've got the can of fish oil sitting here.

Just drop into supercheapauto or something and they'll have what you need.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 22 Nov 2007, 16:28

thanks guys. I'll get some fish oil in a can... but why does it have to be deodourised? maybe i should go fishing for mullet in the cooks river instead!. mmm... oily...

Grant Bond

Postby Grant Bond » 22 Nov 2007, 16:33

Dont fish for ANYTHING in the Cooks river...
every time i go down there i see fish leaping out of the water...
i just think they are trying to escape!!!
:D

FAswad

Postby FAswad » 22 Nov 2007, 20:38

What Huw and James said.

before I repainted my steel olmo, I flushed the frame with sust converter (just block one ened and pour through the other shake and leave to rest, then rinse as per instructions on the rust convverter can). The one i bought was not an aerosol container.Then I sprayed the internals with fish oil (aerosol can).

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 22 Nov 2007, 23:56

Dont fish for ANYTHING in the Cooks river...
every time i go down there i see fish leaping out of the water...
i just think they are trying to escape!!!
:D
If you go down to the river there is a govt order prohibiting eating of fish from the Cook's river, to a certain date. Its because of the high level of heavy metals in the river, and the date will be reviewed, until the river is considered safe.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 23 Nov 2007, 00:00

I wouldn't eat any fish caught anywhere in the Sydney region. There'll always be a level of toxicity given our urban presence. Oyster from the Hawkesberry R is as close as it gets.

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 23 Nov 2007, 08:00

I see people fishing in the Cooks River quite often, especially around Croydon Park. I have no idea why they do it.

I've never put anything in my frames, although I guess I should. My first decent road bike suffered from rust towards the end of it's life, it was 25 years old however.

George's Colnago Master has rust problems as well, he bought it in 1992 & has done a billion km's on it. Jim Bundy once told me 531 doesn't rust much, from which I gathered other types might suffer?

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 23 Nov 2007, 08:08

I guess if you are religious about draining the frame after a wet ride and not live next to salty water, then the risk is much much lower. If those northern guys are able to get good use out of their steel bikes given all the salts sprayed on their winter roads, I think we are on much safer grounds here in Sydney.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 23 Nov 2007, 08:45

I put some fish oil on this morning. i decided against the rust converter because its like a paint and there is no way i can really access the inner tubes to make sure its being effective and i don't want it to clog up in there.

I don't think there's much of a rust problem with the frame, but hey, its best to clean it up why everythings off the bike.

vis. cooks river, I wanted to get my own fish oil. (a real smelly one, so people would know not to suck on my wheel for too long!!!!)...

fenn_paddler

Postby fenn_paddler » 23 Nov 2007, 09:45

I guess if you are religious about draining the frame after a wet ride and not live next to salty water, then the risk is much much lower. If those northern guys are able to get good use out of their steel bikes given all the salts sprayed on their winter roads, I think we are on much safer grounds here in Sydney.
I think excessive perspiration, which I certainly suffer from over the summer months, can corrode or rust a frame pretty thoroughly. My steel bikes used to rust pretty badly, and my old (aluminium) cannondale is a mess nowadays.

Cheers,
Alan

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 23 Nov 2007, 09:51

I think excessive perspiration, which I certainly suffer from over the summer months, can corrode or rust a frame pretty thoroughly. My steel bikes used to rust pretty badly, and my old (aluminium) cannondale is a mess nowadays.
Might have to analyze your sweat content, including pH. Or maybe you are building up an excuse for some plastic for your frame. :wink:

Return to “Conversation”