Tri spoke wheels

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
PeterOS

Postby PeterOS » 20 Jul 2010, 15:45

Someone offered to sell me a set of HED 3 wheels, unfortunatley I don't know a great deal about tri spoke wheels I know they are fast, but is there any chance they can get a buckel in the rim and if so how do you get them fixed.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 20 Jul 2010, 16:21

As for any second hand wheelset, you want to know or at least work out the history of the wheels. Has it been through a crash? Is it out of round? What's the brake track wear status? What the condition of the hub/hub bearing/axle? If you are not confident, then it may be worthwhile to consult an experienced mechanic who has worked on these wheels in the past. If there's any replaceable components that are at EOL, then you should factor in the cost of replacement in your purchase price.

Otherwise it's hard to get a buckle in in CF without not realising the article is toast. But as for any CF, it's possible to harbour internal damages that are hard to see externally. So history is very important. If there is any buckle, then just spin it up and it should be obvious.

Good luck.

Toff

Postby Toff » 23 Jul 2010, 19:05

Trispoke rims don't so much buckle as warp. They probably will stay round but they can go out of true, usually at the back. This means that your need to loosen off the rear brake caliper to stop the rim from rubbing the brake on it's rotation. This is not really a problem since you do most of your braking on the front, and having a super tight rear brake is not critical.

My observations are that most Hed wheels are cared for very well due to their high cost. Even old ones are usually in excellent condition, so it is unlikely you'd get a mis-used set.

The warping of a wheel probably won't affect performance, and they usually don't warp much. Just a few mm. It is probably not worth fixing a warped wheel, as any attempt to do so will either exacerbate the problem or overstress and potentially weaken the wheel.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 23 Jul 2010, 20:53

Just a few mm. It is probably not worth fixing a warped wheel, as any attempt to do so will either exacerbate the problem or overstress and potentially weaken the wheel.
How do you fix a warped CF wheel trispoke? I thought they are structurally stable unless there's internal fibre failure, which may lead to deformation.

Toff

Postby Toff » 23 Jul 2010, 22:46

If you put enough lateral load on a wheel, you may find some plastic deformation. I would suggest that most deformation comes from poor storage though. If you leave a wheel leaned up against a wall in a warm room where one side of the wheel is bathed in sunlight for a few hours each day, you may find that when you install the wheel a few months later, the wheel is not quite aligned the way it used to be. Storing wheels in a shed that can get up to 50 degrees may do this too. I have known rims to literally melt after being left in a hot car in the sun for a few hours: rendering them unrideable. To be fair, those rims were fibreglass covered with a thin layer of faux carbon, but I am sure a carbon wheel would not stay true very long in close to 60 degree heat of a car.

I said I didn't think a warped trispoke could be fixed.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 24 Jul 2010, 13:20

...but I am sure a carbon wheel would not stay true very long in close to 60 degree heat of a car.
That explains all the warped CF bike frames and tacoed CF wheels we saw in the TdF! :lol:

Seriously, I think that scenario is real for some cheap plastic but not good quality CF. Think of those CF components on aeroplanes. And I doubt HED uses cheap plastic or poor quality CF.

Return to “Conversation”