Anyone ordering anything from chain reaction cycles?

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
G

Postby G » 02 Jul 2010, 11:21

I am ordering a bike bag sometime this week. It costs $105.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=15325

For baskets over $430, they provide free shipping to Oz. Does anyone else want something from CRC? If so, please let me know so that we can order together and save on the shipping.
Last edited by G on 02 Jul 2010, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 02 Jul 2010, 11:29

I assume it's going to be used for your CF TT bike, then be careful with these soft padded bags. They are not ideal for the transport of CF frames when carriage is taken out of your direct control.

G

Postby G » 02 Jul 2010, 11:43

I assume it's going to be used for your CF TT bike, then be careful with these soft padded bags. They are not ideal for the transport of CF frames when carriage is taken out of your direct control.
I had to sell off my previous bike bag because it won't fit in the bike without removing the handle bars from the head set, which is messy. They don't make semi hard case bags in big enough size where I can just rotate the aero bars down and fit it in. That's why I am thinking of going for this one. I am thinking to wrap some bubble foam around the frame to keep it safe.

The other choice is to use the cardboard box that they provide at the airport... which is inconvenient to travel with.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 02 Jul 2010, 11:59

Taking the handlebar off is no big deal, probably a good idea given the lesser chance of stress in transport with it off.

But bubble wrap is no replacement for a hard case/cardboard when it comes to transport handling. Problem with bubbles and other paddings is that the force will still get transmitted to the underlying frame, unlike a hard case where the impact force is completely taken up by the casing structure. CF frames are strong, but only if the force loading are in the directions it's designed for and in transport, those impacts are typically not in the design spec.

Ideally you'll want a hard case that has a base frame that can properly protect the dropout and forks, or there'll be various levels of risk that you'll have to accept.

G

Postby G » 02 Jul 2010, 13:10

I see your point Weiyun, but I really don't want to be assembling the headset on the day before the race. I have looked around and didn't find anything better. My last bike box was 1200mm long. It was good for my roadie, but not for the TT bike. Why they can't make it 5 -10 cm bigger I don't get it?!

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 02 Jul 2010, 13:17

The trick there is to not involve the headset. You just remove the handlebar from the stem, no need to touch the headset assembly. At the end of the day, it's better to re-tighten 4 stem/bar bolts than having a cracked frame on the day of competition.

It's all a decision on risk management and YMMV.

G

Postby G » 02 Jul 2010, 14:29

ok... You convinced me. I am ordering a hard case.

Please ignore this thread, as I am not ordering from CRC anymore.

Return to “Conversation”