Forum Guidelines

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 16 Dec 2009, 23:19

Sometimes the sender of a communication can find that the receiver of the communication sees that communication differently to what the sender intended. Occasionally this happens to most of us and on occasions that has happened on this forum.

I noticed tonight that either I can't find them or we don't have any guidelines for our fourm. So looking for standards on this, I went over to the Australian Government Classification Website and found the following summary;
Under the Code, classification decisions are to give effect, as far as possible, to the following
principles:
(a) adults should be able to read, hear and see what they want;
(b) minors should be protected from material likely to harm or disturb them;
(c) everyone should be protected from exposure to unsolicited material that they find
offensive;
(d) the need to take account of community concerns about:
(i) depictions that condone or incite violence, particularly sexual violence; and
(ii) the portrayal of persons in a demeaning manner.
Any material that would fall under (a) needs to be placed with care. It should not be direct posted, but provided as a link with a stern content warning. An example of this is the link I put in the non related bike thread to the Newtown Yoga article depicting nude yoga.

(b), (c), (d-i) and (d-ii) should be avoided. When posting think about whether your post could be interpreted differently to what you mean.

When someone makes a post that you feel contravenes the above, first PM the poster expressing the concerns as to how the post may be interpreted. This will allow the poster to correct their error without public embarrassment, aka a win win situation.

If you do not get a response from the PM, or the material needs immediate attention, then bring it to the attention of the moderators to deal with.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 17 Dec 2009, 05:55

Good points Mike

Something else to be aware of, is that written text is harder to convey a hidden meaning. Vocally, we use tone, and visual indicators to help express our meanings. When something is written, no matter how many smilies and the like we put around it, it is much easier for something to be misinterpreted.

James

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 21 May 2010, 22:47

I see the link to the Australian Government Classification Site no longer works, so here's an update

http://www.classification.gov.au/

Return to “Conversation”