Help me build a time trials bike

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
G

Postby G » 23 Sep 2009, 16:00

I had a duathlon last Sunday, and had an opportunity to see some serious triathletes in action. They use kick ass TT bikes to their advantage, and speaking to them I found that a bike like those can cut down something like 15 minutes over a 90km cycling leg of HIM triathlon.

I looked at the pricing of some of the TT bikes, and came to a conclusion that they are way too much overpriced. So, I am considering pros and cons of building my own. Since I have never built a bike from scrach, I would like to understand what are the risks or pot holes in assembly process that I should be aware of. From my understanding, I need:
1) Frame
2) A groupset
3) bull horn bars, with aero bars
4) Forward shifters
5) Seat
6) Wheels
7) Tyres and tube

I think a high quality carbon frame and fork combination with internal wiring support can be imported from China for around $500. Ultegra groupset for around $1000, handle bars for about $100, forward shifters for about $150, seat for about $100, light wheels for $500, with rear can be converted into a disc wheel by spernding $100 on disc covers. tyres for another $100. So, for a total of about $2500-$2700, I can make a bike that would give a $5000 bike in the market a good run for its money.

Is it that simple? :shock:

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 23 Sep 2009, 16:07

Bike building is hardly rocket science. If you are handy and delicate with your hands, you'll have no trouble putting a nice bike together. The key issue is compatibility ie. All the components have compatible spec.

The other hard part is to get the costing right.

G

Postby G » 23 Sep 2009, 16:22

Bike building is hardly rocket science. If you are handy and delicate with your hands, you'll have no trouble putting a nice bike together. The key issue is compatibility ie. All the components have compatible spec.

The other hard part is to get the costing right.
About compatibility, I was wondering how to find the right chain length for a particular frame. A groupset can be bought with different chain lengths iniit?
Also, how does non shimano groupsets like SRAM fair in terms of price to value?

christian

Postby christian » 23 Sep 2009, 16:44

Shimano bar end shifters are cheaper then the SRAM ones. They use different amounts of cable pull so can't be interchanged without some pain, you're shifters and derailleurs have to match, or you will have to use a converter.

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 23 Sep 2009, 17:02

What about a bike that's on sale, i.e. 2009 stock and it'll be complete? That way you get a good warranty. There are a few good brands out there that have life-time warranties on their carbon frames too!

Also, because of the economic change, 2010's bikes are cheaper still!!!

Food/bikes for thought.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 23 Sep 2009, 17:04

Chains come in extended length and you'll need to use a chaintool to shorten to the correct number of links for your setup and then join the ends.

G

Postby G » 24 Sep 2009, 11:06

What about a bike that's on sale, i.e. 2009 stock and it'll be complete? That way you get a good warranty. There are a few good brands out there that have life-time warranties on their carbon frames too!

Also, because of the economic change, 2010's bikes are cheaper still!!!

Food/bikes for thought.
But I don't know wot kind of frame they have put in it. There are carbon frames from 1050gm to 1500gm with a very small difference in prices ($100-$150). I think it's more cost effective way to cut weight than any other component of the bike. For eg, you may spend $1000 to upgrade from ultegra to dura ace and save just 200 grams!

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 24 Sep 2009, 11:21

But I don't know wot kind of frame they have put in it. There are carbon frames from 1050gm to 1500gm with a very small difference in prices ($100-$150). I think it's more cost effective way to cut weight than any other component of the bike. For eg, you may spend $1000 to upgrade from ultegra to dura ace and save just 200 grams!
At the same time, 450g weight reduction is a lot. You'll have to work out what the manufacturer took away in the lighter frame. A flexi and unreliable CF frame will come back to bite you soon enough. At $150 difference, I doubt the lighter frame is using one of those dearer CF fabric with higher strength.

G

Postby G » 25 Sep 2009, 15:11

At the same time, 450g weight reduction is a lot. You'll have to work out what the manufacturer took away in the lighter frame. A flexi and unreliable CF frame will come back to bite you soon enough. At $150 difference, I doubt the lighter frame is using one of those dearer CF fabric with higher strength.
Considering how light as I am, I don't need extra strong wheels or frame in bike that could support a 100kg rider. I think I can get away with a light and not super strong frame?!

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 25 Sep 2009, 15:19

Yes but strength and characteristics are also about efficiency;
- you want the energy you apply to the pedals to be applied to the road, not absorbed.
- you want to minimise rider fatigue

Oh and you also want to look hot on the bike even when you are not wearing budgie smugglers :)

Return to “Conversation”