Training chit chats thread... Revelations, plans, logs etc

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
timyone

Postby timyone » 11 May 2009, 11:10

Heres a thread for any one thats been off doing lotsa extra riding, maybe by them selves, maybe on saturday slowies, or where ever else you have been on a bike and have stuff that you want to talk about.

Ive been wanting one of these threads for a while now, as im doing all this training, and alot of it, theres no one to talk to about it! the marrickville cafe thread should have been a comment in this. Talk about what ever you like, even if its the coffee you had on the way home :D

timyone

Postby timyone » 11 May 2009, 11:13

Ok, ive had heaps to say over the last few weeks, but not much today, all we did today was a really cruisy ride to larpa, then some intervals (yes i was supposed to tell kiwi Amy!! totally sorry, have to get phone number!!)
And was talking to a lad called jules from randwick after wards about what it would take to do a road race, and he reckons its all about heart rates etc, so off to check that out :D
Weather was good :D is it getting warmer?!

orphic

Postby orphic » 11 May 2009, 18:37

Thanks for slowing down to my pace this morning Tim. The intervals were good... Left me in a bit of a daze at work which I suspect is a good thing (but not for my boss). Think we did something like 45km all up, so not all that bad for a Monday morning.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 11 May 2009, 21:45

orpic, you get a mention in my training log

Mikes Exercise Log 2009

Tim, you should do something similar in the way of a training log

orphic

Postby orphic » 12 May 2009, 09:01

Hehe, thanks Mike.

I did some hill training in Bronte this morning. Pretty much thought I was going to die, with the group I was riding with dangling like carrots 10-20 metres in front of me the whole time.

Lost my front light at some point, I was in far too much pain to notice. Spewing as I ordered some fancy new ones last night but won't arrive for over a week. Trying to see if I can borrow one in the mean time as I won't be able to ride in the morning if I don't have one :( Otherwise I guess I'll be slamming down some more bucks on lighting.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 12 May 2009, 09:41

If its only for a few days, you could tape a torch on with some electrical insulation tape. Just make sure that the style police don't arrest you.

orphic

Postby orphic » 12 May 2009, 09:47

Not worried about how it looks, I just want to make sure I'm seen and I can see the ground in front of me. Believe it or not - I don't have a torch, but it might be time to purchase one!

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 12 May 2009, 09:49

A training log is important but is much better using a simple Excel spreadsheet setup where old progress can be easily looked up and analyzed.

Alternatively, commercial/free Excel spreadsheets are available with a bit of Googling, as well as web based services. Only thing is, these can't be easily customize to one's needs and it's also a little hard to preserve the data in the long run.
http://www.bikejournal.com/

A high powered LED torch can be had cheaply online (DealExtreme.com) or just go for the top of the line brand, Fenix. Won't help you right now but maybe a Paddys Market model can tie you over. DealExtreme also have some decent torch mounts for bikes that works a lot better than those that come with commercial bike lights.

orphic

Postby orphic » 12 May 2009, 10:08

I keep my training log in BJ and a more detailed version in Excel. BJ is good as it can be accessed anywhere.

Posting it on the forum does have it merits as it can give others ideas of what training to do, or create oppurtunities for people to meet up and train together if they are running a similar schedule. Not sure if that was Tim's idea behind this, but it's one positive outcome I can see.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 12 May 2009, 10:20

If its only got to last a week, then pick up something at the $2 shop, or you can do what I do and that's have one of those single LED lights spare in my saddle bag.

Training log in a thread is more fun that on Excel.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 12 May 2009, 10:26

Not exactly sure what Tim was aiming for as Training logs don't quite equate with coffee chitchats.

Anyway, back to topic (whatever that is)... 8)

But for some more in-depth discussions on training plans, I can recommend the following two sub-forums. There are some very knowledgeable people there.

http://www.cycling.net.au/f49
http://www.cycling.net.au/f88

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 12 May 2009, 10:34

If its only got to last a week, then pick up something at the $2 shop, or you can do what I do and that's have one of those single LED lights spare in my saddle bag.
Only good for streetlight lit roads. Centennial Park before sunrise is very dark and one really need one of those high powered units if there's any pace involved.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 12 May 2009, 10:41

Only good for streetlight lit roads. Centennial Park before sunrise is very dark and one really need one of those high powered units if there's any pace involved.
Nothing that night vision goggles won't fix

timyone

Postby timyone » 12 May 2009, 10:45

lol! you lads are funny, ok maybe the name means changed, i want some where to talk to people about whats been happening on the bike, how trainings been goin, mention crazy stuff that happened, or things ive realised about the sunrise in the morning, that i didnt think that guy from randwick was properly understanding, as he was too busy thinking about what colognago to add to his garage next etc :D (the talking about losing a light etc is the stuff im interested in, sorry if it bores every one else, but all i seem to do is ride, and this is the sorta stuff im interested in right now)

So yeah, not after some thing serious.

And yeah, on topic, man today i slept in, as have been falling asleep at work, and though ive been talking all week about this morning being a ride with Coluzzi, i totally decided not to! especially as today it was just me, and i wasnt letting any one down!

So yeah, instead did heart rates on the rollers, as my little brother has been telling me to do. And far out?!!! seriously those things are hard work!!! they are not cruisy at all?! nothing like all the riding ive been doing?!

timyone

Postby timyone » 12 May 2009, 10:48

Hehe, thanks Mike.

I did some hill training in Bronte this morning. Pretty much thought I was going to die, with the group I was riding with dangling like carrots 10-20 metres in front of me the whole time.

Lost my front light at some point, I was in far too much pain to notice. Spewing as I ordered some fancy new ones last night but won't arrive for over a week. Trying to see if I can borrow one in the mean time as I won't be able to ride in the morning if I don't have one :( Otherwise I guess I'll be slamming down some more bucks on lighting.
The randwick lads do some thing similar! ive been so set on riding coluzzi that i havent made it out to try it (and dont want to get embarressed on the hills! which i do at the otherrides i do, though i dont know if theyd wait for me at randwick :D

man vic, you totally have to do what you can to get onto the back of who ever it is your with! it is easier riding if ya do! but yeah up hills i do the same and get dropped :D so im not talkin from what i do :D

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 12 May 2009, 10:58

Nothing that night vision goggles won't fix
Just way too heavy for any weight conscious roadie! :P

orphic

Postby orphic » 12 May 2009, 11:13

The randwick lads do some thing similar! ive been so set on riding coluzzi that i havent made it out to try it (and dont want to get embarressed on the hills! which i do at the otherrides i do, though i dont know if theyd wait for me at randwick :D

man vic, you totally have to do what you can to get onto the back of who ever it is your with! it is easier riding if ya do! but yeah up hills i do the same and get dropped :D so im not talkin from what i do :D
Yeah, I tried. It wasn't really happening and I think in a way I needed to fight my own battle this morning. When I tried to speed up to get on the bunch my riding form would suffer, so going at my own pace was a better technique as far as getting some results from the training goes.

I don't know what the street names are of what we did so I couldn't map it out, but could probably find it from memory and would be keen to go back for more at some point if you want to. You could probably do 3 laps of the circuit while I'm half way up my first :P

timyone

Postby timyone » 12 May 2009, 11:27

well im a maybe for some thing tomorrow, not sure if the lad ive been training with is riding tomorrow.
Or i may see what randwick are doing.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 12 May 2009, 11:48

Yeah, I tried. It wasn't really happening and I think in a way I needed to fight my own battle this morning. When I tried to speed up to get on the bunch my riding form would suffer, so going at my own pace was a better technique as far as getting some results from the training goes.
You are absolutely right that the best form of training is riding at a pace that's most appropriate for you. Bunch riding, unless taking the lead at the head of the bunch, has been considered by many to be "junk miles" given the drafting and coasting involved. Otherwise it's good for development of bunch riding skills, for breaking up the monotony of solo training and getting to the training ground (eg. Hill) quickly.

For someone new to cycling, the key focus is to develop your power (Functional Threshold Power - FTP) and induce the appropriate adaptations. And if you adhere to the power technique, you would want to focus on 2x20 intervals at Level 4 (L4) power and build it up from there. 2x20 interval is the best training to build up your FTP, and that is what you need for sustained TT effort and climbing (sustainable power to weight ratio).

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/ ... evels.aspx

I just noticed that you are a BNAer. AlexS in the training forum would be the ideal source for information on these issue.

timyone

Postby timyone » 13 May 2009, 09:09

according to the randwick training callender thing, training today was supposed to start at 5:45! it didnt! but there was another group leaving at that time, so i went with them instead. Turns out they were cruisy as! to the extent that we were back by 6:35?! i was back at the park with nothing to do! and they had only ridden to larpa and back.

To any one interested in a nice little ride like this, they leave from the race course end at 5:45, and are really nice, i talked to a few different people. But yeah, we didnt actually do alot of hard riding, and maybe not what im after! so i did laps of centenial again :( and a sitting sprint up the hill.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 13 May 2009, 09:53

i was back at the park with nothing to do! and they had only ridden to larpa and back.
You should never have "nothing to do" in CP. It's all a question of whether you have any objectives in your training.

You could have done 2x20s, 6x5s or hill repeats, all highly focused interval sessions that'll give you much better return than a bunch cruise to somewhere, apart from the pain and boredom. Otherwise, make it a recovery ride.

orphic

Postby orphic » 13 May 2009, 10:24

I rode to LP this morning, which was semi cruisy. Did some cornering work and balance stuff. My legs were sore from yesterday. I also have a sore ankle and I'm trying to figure out why.

To add to my sore ankle I'm feeling really sick, particularly mentally with an inability to focus, and I'm not sure if I'm sick (like a virus or something) or if it's from exhaustion.

Wow, I'm full of complaints this morning!

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 13 May 2009, 10:24

Are we training tomorrow morning with Randwick tim?

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 13 May 2009, 10:49

Ok, this thread is now a sticky and I've updated the title to better reflect the nature of this thread. Have fun! :roll:

timyone

Postby timyone » 13 May 2009, 11:12

Are we training tomorrow morning with Randwick tim?
yeah im in :D still no bmc, but ill be there on my cruisy bike :D

lol about this thread being a sticky good idea :D about changing the name, if it saves prob also good idea :D

You got most of what i wanted from a thread in the name :D

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 13 May 2009, 11:17

Cool. See you tomorrow morning just before 5.40 then. Oh and ive also got some special patches, which work in a similar way to anti smoking patches, it will help you break your simile face emoticon adiction. :D

timyone

Postby timyone » 13 May 2009, 11:19

man i probably need them! or some thing like a theasaurus (ok, i need a dictionary to spell that, or if i owned a theasaurus, it would say it on the cover) that has other options for faces, i guess this little box that opens up lets you click on the one you want.. :roll: we dont actually have a big list!

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 13 May 2009, 16:25

I rode to LP this morning, which was semi cruisy. Did some cornering work and balance stuff. My legs were sore from yesterday. I also have a sore ankle and I'm trying to figure out why.

To add to my sore ankle I'm feeling really sick, particularly mentally with an inability to focus, and I'm not sure if I'm sick (like a virus or something) or if it's from exhaustion.

Wow, I'm full of complaints this morning!
Don't get yourself run down

orphic

Postby orphic » 14 May 2009, 09:20

I think it was caffeine overdose, I replaced the post ride coffee this morning with a chocolate milkshake and I feel much better. I still had one when I woke up though... Otherwise I would never get out of the house ;)

Or maybe I'm still pepped up after my first ride on the track last night. I'm in love!

timyone

Postby timyone » 14 May 2009, 09:24

lol about the track :D man seriously why bother with road (though i feel seriously good at the end of our morning rides~!

Im totally into this new milkshake instead of coffee thing, though i havent tried the coffee before bit yet, rainbow reckons its heaps good to do! so i dont know why i havent :D i worry about wanting to go to the bathroom extra! i allready drink alot of poweraid before i ride.

Man we are getting better at riding with randwick :D both alex's were out today :D and we kept up with the sprint bit (again) and it was heaps good training. Im getting better on the hills, Little alex is up there with who ever it is at the front! But yeah, i was feeling so good at bits, must be the endorphins, i was feeling a bit less than that good after one of the hills though :S

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 14 May 2009, 09:35

Post ride coffee makes no physiological sense unless the 3-4 hours ride time has unmasked symptoms caffeine addition. ;)

After a hard/endurance ride, the last thing the body needs is another dose of caffeine with its diuretic properties. Choc milkshake provides the fluid, protein and CHO the body/muscles need after exercise, a much more sensible choice.

timyone

Postby timyone » 14 May 2009, 09:37

Post ride coffee makes no physiological sense unless the 3-4 hours ride time has unmasked symptoms caffeine addition. ;)

After a hard/endurance ride, the last thing the body needs is another dose of caffeine with its diuretic properties. Choc milkshake provides the fluid, protein and CHO the body/muscles need after exercise, a much better choice.
well thats what ive been working out. Any other tips on this stuff while your at it, that are totally simple, like having a banana or any thing? i keep finding alot of stuff on the net, but get a bit over whealmed by big lists, id be much better off being told some thing off the cafe menu, or some thing i should definately eat before hand.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 14 May 2009, 10:00

well thats what ive been working out. Any other tips on this stuff while your at it, that are totally simple, like having a banana or any thing? i keep finding alot of stuff on the net, but get a bit over whealmed by big lists, id be much better off being told some thing off the cafe menu, or some thing i should definately eat before hand.
For us amateurs, I don't see the evidence and the need to imitate the pros. Sensible eating, drinking and rest is probably all that's needed for a good outcome. Specifically, timely carbo/protein intake to sustain the increased burn rate and muscle repair is pretty much all that's needed. Of course, hydration is the other big one. The relationship b/n poor hydration and performance loss is well documented and one that must not be overlooked.

Vitamin and other expensive dietary supplements are only needed if one doesn't eat a balanced diet. It's an unnecessary expense for most people. Otherwise, a sensible and objective orientated training plan is what really counts.

Also remember the KISS principle. Once those internet advertisements start to use terms that only a scientists can understand, you should immediately hit the warning buzzer.

Hope this helps.

orphic

Postby orphic » 14 May 2009, 10:16

Yeah... I'm a caffeine addict. It's the one thing I have after giving up smoking (nearly 6 weeks!) and I don't seem to be drinking much these days. Speaking of which... I could kill for for a beer right now ;)

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 14 May 2009, 10:37

OMG, never thought you are a smoker. Congratulation for quitting! But unfortunately your tobacco history have already compromised your VO2max development by a finite time lag.

As for the caffeine addiction, fortunately flat Coke is good for efficient energy replacement on a ride. ;)

As for EtOH. It may actually promote insulin sensitivity... But only if you are a little white mice.
http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v33/n ... 8266a.html
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by weiyun on 14 May 2009, 10:51, edited 3 times in total.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 14 May 2009, 10:37

Well, there was a study last year that showed caffeine increased glycogen uptake in the muscles, though you can't forget to take the carbohydrates in as well.

timyone

Postby timyone » 14 May 2009, 12:47

man i find it so funny hat the coffee im not having before a ride i actually should?!
love it :D

othy

Postby othy » 14 May 2009, 13:36

As I'm getting back into training I thought it would be useful to take some measurements to see if I'm improving.

I did a 2x20 last night at the track to try and get a baseline of my current fitness. As I had only a rough idea where my MHR was I decided to aim for something I thought would be achievable - 38km/h for each interval. The first one I did 38.4 km/h and the second 37.6 km/h. Still need to look at the recorded data, but I don't think my HRM was reading for the first interval.

Not particularly cooked this morning so I probably didn't go hard enough. Thanks to those who let me finish my second interval, sorry for holding up the leadouts.

I wouldn't mind getting out to Centennial park, perhaps on Saturday morning and trying again, this time on my road bike. Be interesting to see how it compares.

timyone

Postby timyone » 14 May 2009, 15:06

wow othy! man your detailed!! and using heart rates, im totally moving closer to that! though have to remember to put my heart rate monitor on!!
was the 38 an average top speed?
how much do you normally feel it in the morning? sore legs? or actually warn out etc?
(good to see you back on the track :D)

But yes, on the topic of carbs, i now have a massive thing of pretty much strait carbohydrates! i couldnt be bothered working it all out, and it seems that i needed half a loaf of bread worth?! but yeah, now that ive bought it im wondering if ive gone too far, and didnt need as much. I also need to get some poridge.

timyone

Postby timyone » 18 May 2009, 10:57

man today on the way home we went through the city, seriously loved it! my bike would be a hepas fun courier bike! But yeah, if i got hit by a car id be in tears :(

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 18 May 2009, 11:18

Is it feeling better with a working headset?

orphic

Postby orphic » 18 May 2009, 12:01

I'm on call this week. Likelihood of mid training phone call = high :?

I'm actually going to have a day off this week so I don't pike out on Waterfall. Last week was a bit of an overdose... Oh the new rider enthusiasm!

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 18 May 2009, 12:18

Don't worry about training schedule this week. Rain predicted for the next 5-6 days at least. Indoor training week I'd say unless you enjoy cleaning bikes or don't care about the look. ;)

orphic

Postby orphic » 18 May 2009, 12:22

Aaah! Don't scare me like that. BOM could be lying!

I need rollers :(

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 18 May 2009, 12:32

Pretty big cloud band coming...

http://www.bom.gov.au/gms/IDE00035.latest.shtml

Do you still have gym membership? Stationary bikes can do wonders when used properly.

Otherwise, rest is an essential and critical part of performance training. The only problem is, I've had too much rest already over the last 3 weeks. :cry:

Resistance training on a stationary bike will be the flavour of the week. But I did push myself out this morning for some loops in CP to pad out some more outdoor volume before the rain.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 18 May 2009, 16:15

Don't worry once those boys and girls get on the velodrome, the vortex created will shift those clouds out to sea.

Regan was wrong about the Russian weather experiments....

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 18 May 2009, 16:26

Don't worry once those boys and girls get on the velodrome, the vortex created will shift those clouds out to sea.
Problem is, track boys wouldn't even go close to the track when H2O hits the ground.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 18 May 2009, 16:39

Problem is, track boys wouldn't even go close to the track when H2O hits the ground.
Too right, concrete hurts

timyone

Postby timyone » 18 May 2009, 21:32

Is it feeling better with a working headset?
yeah it rips it :D

timyone

Postby timyone » 18 May 2009, 21:34

Don't worry about training schedule this week. Rain predicted for the next 5-6 days at least. Indoor training week I'd say unless you enjoy cleaning bikes or don't care about the look. ;)
? what on earth are you talking about?
Just be careful whos wheel you are on! but yeah, maybe better training by your self or in the park or some thing. Makes coffee nicer :D

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 18 May 2009, 21:48

? what on earth are you talking about?
Talking about the weather condition and prediction on Earth.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDN10064.shtml

timyone

Postby timyone » 18 May 2009, 22:01

ok on the topic of training, just so i have it written down, my 4000 metre time is 5:48, im not proud of it, but will be interested to see how much i can drop off it, my best time was 5:45 before i started so much training, ive been getting slower at this sorta stuff though.

orphic

Postby orphic » 19 May 2009, 09:06

I *think* I'm getting better on hills. I wasn't dropped as quickly as usual this morning anyway. 8)

timyone

Postby timyone » 19 May 2009, 09:23

good to hear orphic :D your way ahead of most peoples months to get good at hills schedule id say?!

Man today i had a speedo thing on my bike :D and i didnt realise how many km's we some times go through, today i ended up with 75 km worth of riding, i was thinking about riding to work as well, but that would bring it past the 110 km mark, and im after a bit more intensity stuff, not just km's.

Ive started reading the back of things to find out how many carbs and how much protein is in it all, and there is more of what i want in the light milk we have at home?@ so yeah, maybe i need to drink the light stuff for more reasons! I thnen moved onto my peanut butter, and thats full of the stuff!! well i think it was similar amount to the milk, but hardly any where near the amount! (not that you can do too much of the stuff, its probably heaps fatty.

But yeah :D

orphic

Postby orphic » 19 May 2009, 09:51

Nah not way ahead. Not ahead at all really. Just a bit better than last week. I do some harder inclines later in the week though, that will be the real test.

Reading nutritional information panels is the bain of my existence. Ignorance was bliss!!
Last edited by orphic on 19 May 2009, 09:54, edited 1 time in total.

timyone

Postby timyone » 19 May 2009, 09:54

well my life is easier because i only want to know carbs and protein. (yeah i know i dont need to add it all up, i just have to be able to think ive had a certain amount)

Man your lucky to be able to tell that your getting better?! all i see is me getting slower?! im now just some guy that is aiming to be able to ride every day and love it :D i no longer call my self a racer :)

orphic

Postby orphic » 20 May 2009, 12:29

My new head lights arrived today! I can't wait to ride in the dark in the morning. They're pretty bright... I made one of the girls at work squeel when I switched them on 8)

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 20 May 2009, 12:56

Just had 2 big mac's for lunch.... why on earth do they call them "big" ?

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 20 May 2009, 13:12

Just had 2 big mac's for lunch.... why on earth do they call them "big" ?
That's 860 Cal for you! But what does it mean? :roll:

They are cheap for the price and kids never say no to them. That's my present conclusion on McDonald food.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 20 May 2009, 13:21

That's 860 Cal for you! But what does it mean? :roll:

They are cheap for the price and kids never say no to them. That's my present conclusion on McDonald food.
I still feel hungry, will have to eat something else

timyone

Postby timyone » 20 May 2009, 21:42

My new head lights arrived today! I can't wait to ride in the dark in the morning. They're pretty bright... I made one of the girls at work squeel when I switched them on 8)
was that you talking in the third person about your self?

Man tonight on the rollers i got my first calf cramp?! crazy!! i was training really well too :( was just about doing them at 180 :D though i only did 4 because of that.

orphic

Postby orphic » 21 May 2009, 09:39

was that you talking in the third person about your self?
Haha, I don't do squeeling.

Sleep in this morning. Someone please tell me it was bucketing down and that I stayed in bed for a good reason?

It was dry for my commute.

(edit - fixing up quote)
Last edited by orphic on 21 May 2009, 10:48, edited 2 times in total.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 21 May 2009, 09:49

It was bucketing down, I sheltered under a shop awning for a while and only just made it to my yoga class.

Wet shoes for the ride home....

Kate

Postby Kate » 21 May 2009, 10:29

I though I'd join the Randwick bunch yesterday. I arrived at 5:30 and only one other showed up. As he hadn't done the ride out to LP before, he decided that he'd go and do his own thing. I went to do some laps of CP instead.

So, I started off but very,very soon realised that my front light was woefully inadequate. I did a slow lap and headed back to my car to get my head torch.

As I was about to stop when my seat slipped round and ended up vertical. I couldn't fix it! I didn't take joggers with me so I couldn't even go for a run.

So, I drove to work and had a nap in the car...

After 2 weeks: 2 flats, 2 skun knees and a busted seat.

~Kate

orphic

Postby orphic » 21 May 2009, 10:51

It was bucketing down, I sheltered under a shop awning for a while and only just made it to my yoga class.

Wet shoes for the ride home....
That's why I keep a hair dryer at work 8)

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 21 May 2009, 11:00

Hair dryers are for girls

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 21 May 2009, 11:00

After 2 weeks: 2 flats, 2 skun knees and a busted seat.
Don't give up as you are probably over the worst. ;)

Good light is essential in CP before sunrise. Not only is it very dark in there, you also need to watch for waterbirds and other creatures crossing the loop.

It's been the stationary bike for me with all the morning rain. 10W extra over 20mins is so hard to do. Back to baseline... :twisted:
Last edited by weiyun on 21 May 2009, 11:04, edited 1 time in total.

Kate

Postby Kate » 21 May 2009, 11:04

Thanks, but don't worry, I'm still full of enthusiasm :D

orphic

Postby orphic » 21 May 2009, 11:10

Hair dryers are for girls
You think about that statement when you're riding home with soggy feet tonight.

Having said that though, my attempts to dry my knicks the other day with a low powered travel hair dryer were somewhat futile. I also got some weird looks from people in the bathrooms :roll:

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 21 May 2009, 11:12

True, could of used the hair dryer on my shoes.

If you hang your knicks up under your desk, first thing in the morning, they will be dry for the return ride home.

Don't worry about those chicks in the bathroom, they are just jellous of your athletic achievements

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 21 May 2009, 11:19

Most quality synthetic chamois should dry up pretty quickly. Cheaper ones with cotton inside can take forever.

As for the shoes. rolled up newspaper works and is the traditional method. Or put your new high powered headlights in there. :wink:

timyone

Postby timyone » 21 May 2009, 22:30

I though I'd join the Randwick bunch yesterday. I arrived at 5:30 and only one other showed up. As he hadn't done the ride out to LP before, he decided that he'd go and do his own thing. I went to do some laps of CP instead.
umm which bunch leaves at 5:30?
the rides we have done with them have all left at 6. The web site said 5:45 for one of them, but that didnt seem to be right, i think alot of them may be 6 start, though there might be an earlier slower group

Kate

Postby Kate » 21 May 2009, 23:26

I thought there was a 5:45 bunch that goes to LP on Wednesday morning. The other guy seemed to think it usually happens then too. We waited till 6:00 anyway, which I think is when the fast bunch leaves. Although it looked miserable and rainy, it was actually quite warm!

And as for being there at 5:30- google maps said it would take half an hour to drive but it only took 15 minutes!

~Kate

timyone

Postby timyone » 22 May 2009, 05:54

oh ok, well yeah i read what your talking about on the forum or some thing. There was actually a slower bunch that left slightly down the road on the week i tried it, though only one of them was randwick, i went with them.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 22 May 2009, 08:42

As described on RBCC site, their Wed 5:45 bunch leaves from "just south of the Randwick gates of Centennial Park". Sounds like they meet up on the corner of Allison Rd rather than inside CP. Did you go to the wrong place?

Kate

Postby Kate » 22 May 2009, 09:07

Hmmm... perhaps I did! Thanks, I'll try Alison Rd next time.

timyone

Postby timyone » 22 May 2009, 16:30

oh wait where were you waiting?
Yeah, its the race course entrence. Its sort of on a corner? next to a round about.

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 22 May 2009, 21:10

Well, I love the rain. I love stomping in puddles. I love the complete chaos it causes for those on foot, but gee I hate it when you're on the road!

So, to combat being on the road in the rain, I've been jumping in puddles with music blaring in my ears for 2 days now all the way to uni. This is a 13k return hike, plus a little rollers last night and a gruelling gym work-out tonight.

I hope it's not raining in the morning so I can remember what it's like to ride on the road!

timyone

Postby timyone » 23 May 2009, 10:51

man seriously i think your taking this training thing too far, you wont get me walking 13km?!

we did a nice 80 km training session by the way today, through the east, then around the bay to kournell, then coffee in cronulla :D
SOrry missed the slowies coffee :(

timyone

Postby timyone » 23 May 2009, 22:04

raced as well. 140 or so km day.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 23 May 2009, 22:10

raced as well. 140 or so km day.
Heffron? write a report

timyone

Postby timyone » 24 May 2009, 14:54

i did, its in the road section.

timyone

Postby timyone » 26 May 2009, 20:48

man that 240 or so km on the weekend (80 fixie) hammered me!! i was seriously feeling gone in the day yesterday?! may have been lack of sleep though :D i felt better once on the track learning some madison skills behind the motor bike! (sorry to any one we confused)

This week im learning about tappering and carb loading?!
today ive had pasta for lunch, then sushi and sandwiches for some meals, then more pasta :D (well only second pasta because every one else went out for simons birthday and i was at work?! so had to do my own :D but it fits in ok :D

Im totally confused about how much to do this week, have heard a few versions and what days to take off, im thinking no thursday night training, and just cruisy from thursday :D

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 27 May 2009, 10:02

Oh dear, confession time...

That gym work out I did last friday night caught up with me by saturday evening, and I've been glued to the lounge in pain since. You know it was epic when it takes 4 days to recover, hopefully I'll be stronger for it. If you ever hear anyone utterring the words "5kg medicine ball", start running!

To the track tonight, yay! Then I'm off "secret training" in Coffs Harbour, hehe.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 27 May 2009, 10:06

Are there any Spanish doctors in Coffs Harbour ?

orphic

Postby orphic » 27 May 2009, 10:21

Hard ride yesterday morning killed my legs. I'm worried that I am not gaining strength at a very speedy rate. Or maybe I'm just not patient enough. Either way I want to be faster, climb better and ride smoother NOW!! ;)

I really want to go to track tonight, but I'm dead tired. Might be better to get an early night instead :(

timyone

Postby timyone » 27 May 2009, 11:05

man rainbow that stuff sounds like what i should be doing?! but probably never will :D At least we have one all round fit person at the club (ok im guessing mike clement is also a bit of a gym junkie :D)

Lol orphic?! seriously you are improving amazingly?! most people take 6 months to get to where you are?! (though they dont ride as much?!) once you start racing that will start improving you in more ways than just getting fitter and faster :D

Ok i did a little ride with the randwick lads today, i was a bit dissapointed, as i think there were alot of fast people not there, though i havent done wednesday before, and i didnt actually do their whole ride as i looked at my watch thing before a second lap of the cemetary, and it was nearly 7?!
I think there are alot of them off doing team time trial prac, our teams need to start the same! id say what they are doing in the park, 40 km in formation stuff, not sure what speed, but it should be good.

I did 60 km in the end today, i was running late for coffee, so did the last road bit at 40kmph, and think i need to do alot more of that. I had a heart rate monitor on for the first time today and it was so interesting?! i was surprised when im riding heaps hard and when im not etc?!

But yes, our teams need to start training?!!!

timyone

Postby timyone » 03 Jun 2009, 08:46

Man I actually skipped training because of rain today. I may do more heart rates tonight
Which takes a bit out of you hey. I doubled over from monday night heart rates to tuesday morning
Hill ride, and started off the hill ride with sore legs etc but yeah, hopefully hard training tonight.

timyone

Postby timyone » 11 Jun 2009, 09:13

man it was cold today! i may change back to just track training :D though i hear it was cold there last night too!!

christian

Postby christian » 11 Jun 2009, 11:01

I was going to go on a training ride this morning, but after last night at the track where it was so #$!*%$ cold I decided to have a day off.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 11 Jun 2009, 11:09

Felt like about 6 deg C this morning, I was anticipating much colder

timyone

Postby timyone » 11 Jun 2009, 12:19

Man I took about an hour to warm up after that, and my hands have now gone funny.

To make life worse though I was running late and decided to try jumping ahead of the bunch, and ride slowly on
The aero bars to wait for them, after a while I sped it up and just did it my self. I over took 2 or 3 bunches too :p
I think at least one was doing a set schede, and another group didn't seem that fast. But yeah,
It wasn't untill after the last hill that I found randwick, they had totally been cruising it! And yeah. I guess
It was good training any way though probably better single training than for the team event, totally
Not fast enough.

orphic

Postby orphic » 11 Jun 2009, 13:07

I nearly froze to death this morning, and couldn't keep up with a group I was riding with at all. I failed dismally, more than I have ever failed before.

I felt a bit sick to start with, and after all of that I felt even worse. I think I may be at the point of exhaustion and physically suffering from stress. Time to take a breather me thinks. I got sent home from work too :(

timyone

Postby timyone » 12 Jun 2009, 08:22

lol man?! with you being sent home from work its no wonder you couldnt keep up! totally time for a break ?!

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 12 Jun 2009, 08:45

Hey Victoria, sounds like you should take Saturday as a rest day, your body will strengthen while you are resting.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 12 Jun 2009, 08:59

Sounds like overtraining. People talk about gradual increases in training load in 10% steps and sudden massive jumps are known to cause problems.

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 12 Jun 2009, 13:29

Well while the rest of you were training in 8'c temps, i was in a 35'c climate chamber, pushing a little over 200watts whilst lying down for 1 hour.

I managed to blackout twice before the test even began :oops: I dont think my body copes very well with having lots of blood taken.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 12 Jun 2009, 22:06

I'm doing a study similar to that in July. High temperature, think it's 60% and 75% (seperate weeks) VO2max until exhaustion. Blood taken day after as well.

orphic

Postby orphic » 16 Jun 2009, 16:18

Thanks for the advice Tim/Mike/Weiyun. I was forced to take a riding break over the weekend as I was moving house. Not much of a rest, I know. I didn't ride yesterday but had a very crap sleep the last two nights. The good news is I felt much better when I got on the bike this morning. Now if I can just stop these 12 hour work days I am sure I will get more sleep!

timyone

Postby timyone » 16 Jun 2009, 19:34

lol man if you faint before the riding starts, you probably shouldnt be doing the riding!! that takes it out of you on its own!!! heres no way they take enough blood to make you faint either?! its all head stuff, you can work on not doing that though.

not good to hear your not sleeping well orphic, ive heard thats heaps bad for training.

Return to “Conversation”