Cycling Australia insurance

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 15 Apr 2009, 15:23

I just cleaned up a small section of my desk (the whole thing is too scary) and found my Cycling Australia insurance brochure.
It offered https://welcome2.willis.com/cycling/default.aspx as the place to get all the details on the cover.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 15 Apr 2009, 18:06

Good find Simon. Digging around those related pages still doesn't tell me whether casual/commute riding are covered by CA/CNSW's member insurance policy.

Why are they making it so obscure?

Beanzy

Postby Beanzy » 16 Apr 2009, 08:09

From the website:

What is covered?:

Cover applies in the following circumstances:

a. Competing in official club, state and national events

b. Organised training or practice sessions for activities as described in (a) above.

c. Travelling directly between activities in (a) or (b) above, and your residence or place of employment.

d. Staying away from your home district during a tour for the purpose of participating in sanctioned activities

e. Engaging in voluntary, administrative or organised social activities of BMX Australia, Cycling Australia and Mountain Bike Australia or its affiliated Associations or Clubs.

What is organised training?

Organised training is training that is approved by either BMX Australia, Cycling Australia or Mountain Bike Australia or an affiliated State Association, your Club or a coach. You must keep a record, prior to the training session commencing of any individual training that you are undertaking in case an accident occurs.

So one can assume casual/commuting is NOT covered. I would have to say quite probably that your Sunday Waterfall ride as a club group would most likely not be covered as it is open to everyone. Our RBCC training rides on are not covered. Although i beleive our Tempe track session is as it is restricted to CA members.

Ride on the roads at your own risk.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 16 Apr 2009, 08:54

So one can assume casual/commuting is NOT covered. I would have to say quite probably that your Sunday Waterfall ride as a club group would most likely not be covered as it is open to everyone. Our RBCC training rides on are not covered. Although i beleive our Tempe track session is as it is restricted to CA members.

Ride on the roads at your own risk.
That's supposedly the old story. According to various sources, some with contacts to the top man, CNSW is in competition for membership with BNSW and have for 2009 upgraded their member insurance policy to cover any activity on bikes ie. Matching BNSW's policy. However, CNSW has not updated their information kit to reflect this change. The Willis page Simon provided also suggests there's greater coverage.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 16 Apr 2009, 10:04

The website info seems to indicate the info is the old coverage, which ended 30 november 2008. There is a sumary of the current stuff though...https://welcome2.willis.com/cycling/Doc ... ochure.pdf

Public liability seems to be where the upgrade has been made
"Individual members are covered for any activity involved with cycling 24 hours a
day, 7 days a week."

For personal accident it seems as though you should log all your training to ensure training coverage.
"Coverage applies whilst members are involved in sanctioned CA, BMXA
or MTBA activities. These activities include official events, organised
training including logged individual training, fundraising activities, and
travel to and from these activities."

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 16 Apr 2009, 10:09

Public liability seems to be where the upgrade has been made
"Individual members are covered for any activity involved with cycling 24 hours a
day, 7 days a week."
Pfah! Public liability every time you ride a bike is a pretty slim benefit. How often is one going to do sufficient damage with a bike to invoke the coverage?
I can imagine, however, that we could all start to log every ride we ever do as having at least SOME training purpose. Ride to work? Training. Buying some milk? Training. Take the kids to school? Training ;-)

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 16 Apr 2009, 10:23

For personal accident it seems as though you should log all your training to ensure training coverage.
"Coverage applies whilst members are involved in sanctioned CA, BMXA
or MTBA activities. These activities include official events, organised
training including logged individual training, fundraising activities, and
travel to and from these activities."
Thanks for digging out that clause.

If this is indeed the policy for our 2009 insurance, then it's as useless as past years' policy. BNSW's member insurance remain miles ahead in this department for us amateur riders where all bike related activities are covered without log.

stevanr

Postby stevanr » 16 Apr 2009, 11:36

As stated before the policy isnt clear, until it is clear im going to be a member of both CA and BicycleNSW, just in case

Steve

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 16 Apr 2009, 12:15

I'd like to see the full policy, but my attempts to find it online have been unsuccessful

alchemist

Postby alchemist » 19 Apr 2009, 19:07

I'd like to see the full policy, but my attempts to find it online have been unsuccessful
You need to contact CA

Return to “Conversation”