Membership - what does the insurance cover us for

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 26 Mar 2009, 20:23

Having had an "off" in the not to distant past, its made me wonder what exactly the insurance that comes with our ride-it and racing licenses.

So wot's the jist on it?

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 26 Mar 2009, 20:34

We are now "fully" covered by CNSW's membership, to a similar level as BNSW's membership. Fundamentally, we are covered for all the time we are on a bike, not just for training and racing. Otherwise it covers for liability and medical expenses (pretty puny amounts). So don't throw away your Medicare and private health insurance.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 26 Mar 2009, 20:42

Yes, but exactly what coverage do we have?

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 26 Mar 2009, 20:50

Ok. CNSW's site has been extremely slow in getting that information out. They are still on Feb 2008 and can probably be used as a reference.

http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/files/mem ... eb2008.pdf

If you are with BNSW, you could have received $250 for your rib fractures amongst other benefits including income loss. I'd think CNSW's coverage would be similar.

http://www.cyclecover.com.au/webcontent21.html
Last edited by weiyun on 26 Mar 2009, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 26 Mar 2009, 20:50

Mike,

How ironic. I had just signed on, to post info on insurance and happened to read your post.

I was going to post a summary of the insurance policy as many people had been asking questions lately about what is and isn't covered.

Here is the link to the summary policy. I will not try to interpret it, not am I qualified to. But if you have any questions, after reading it, it will provide you with the insurers contact details.

Some individuals mentioned that they thought the policy this year for the first time provided insurance for general riding outside of sanctioned club activities. If you read the policy you will see that, that may be the case for third party/third person damages only (and not own personal injury, etc).

Some of you have Bicycle NSW membership which provides insurance as well and may feel that the insurance is doubling up. Whilst I am not in a position to advise whether this is the case or not, do remember that your Membership to BNSW also provides valuable funding to help achieve More People Cycling More Often. , plus you get 6 glossy mags per annum.

Here is the insurance policy:

http://www.cycling.org.au/site/cycling/ ... 008-09.pdf

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 26 Mar 2009, 21:02

Geoff, That PDF link you provided is the old policy ie. From Feb 2008. If you read the scope of cover for personal accidents, it is restricted to club events and logged training rides. And that was the focus of criticism. Their new policy supposedly has taken that clause away and now matches the policy cover from BNSW. But as I said, supposedly. A number of well connected people have described the new policy but I have yet to see a printed copy of the new one.

Yes, I currently also have double membership and it's getting a little redundant given the situation. Depending how much racing I do this year, Ride-It may be an option for 2010.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 26 Mar 2009, 21:11

mmm... I should investigate

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 26 Mar 2009, 21:16

mmm... I should investigate
Definitely should. It could have paid for a lot of discretionary physio and other therapies.

stevanr

Postby stevanr » 08 Apr 2009, 10:13

Guys, just adding to the thread
This link might provide some clarification, it is current at Jan 2009 from cycling australia

http://www.cycling.org.au/default.asp?P ... p/20013/0/

click on the PDF link, page 2 states:

Coverage applies whilst members are involved in sanctioned CA, BMXA
or MTBA activities. These activities include official events, organised
training including logged individual training, fundraising activities, and
travel to and from these activities

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 08 Apr 2009, 11:14

Yes, they've updated the web page but not the brochure. That "sanctioned event" clause for personal accident coverage is supposedly out of date. But until they provide members with a correct policy in print, we really don't know where we stand with our current insurance coverage.

I've had a discussion with "Madam" on SydneyCylists and she has provided me with an up to date policy on PDF. But again, it's just a general policy statement with no direct reference to CA/CNSW or activities covered. She said that she will contact Kevin Young about it.

Until this issue is crystal clear, I am keeping my BNSW membership. I'll cringe at the prospect of paying duplicate insurance coverage come later in the year. :twisted:

Terry

Postby Terry » 08 Apr 2009, 12:54

What constitutes "logged individual training"

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 08 Apr 2009, 14:47

What constitutes "logged individual training"
Recorded in your training diary. Whatever that means... :wink:

Return to “Conversation”