Race Report Heffron 17/1/09

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Beanzy

Postby Beanzy » 17 Jan 2009, 19:04

A strong sou-easter greeted the riders today on an otherwise fine day at Heffron for RBCC racing.

I lined up in D grade along with 531db. Geoff from DHBC also lined up.

The pace was at a good average speed for the first few laps. No real attacks or surges. A led the bunch a few times, even into the strong headwind down the finishing straight.

On lap 6, A grade were about to pass us on the back section. I decided to let rip! I launched a pretty big surge to try to see who were the strong riders in the bunch. I strung the bunch out. By the time i hit the main straight i slowed down. I couldnt hold my attack into the wind. I had the affect of string out the bunch and dropping a couple of riders. Strangley enough, this attack saw my fastest speed for the race at 53.7km/h.

The pace quickly settled back down. A few surges but nothing too serious. The young rider, Patrick, from Easts was doing a fair bit of work. I was basically on a guy from Sutherland's wheel the rest of the race. I knew he was strong as he finished the Bike Bug 500 before christmas.

On lap 10 i think we had A grade, B grade and a C grade all pass us together. It got a bit messy. We called d grade neutral, however Sutherland guy thought he was in C grade! he thought he had a red number on! But anyway he eventually heeded the calls to back off and D grade was back together. A small surge from Geoff from DHBC saw us close the gap back to C grade. We passed the finished line but no bell on the sheduled bell lap. No bell no sprint.

We cruised for that lap. We finally got the bell. A RBCC rider launched an attack at the squircle. He got a bout 50m ahead. Sutherland guy chased hard down the back along with the easts boy. I was right on Sutherlands wheel. We chased all the way to the main straight, got the gap down to about 20m. Sutherland guy pulled off. Easts lad kept chasing and i was on his wheel. At about 150 to go we reeled in the breakaway, i pulled out into the wind and surged for the line. I could feel Sutherland guy right on my wheel but i think i blew him away. I rolled over the line for first, breakaway 2nd and easts lad third. The sprint was tough into the wind and i only hit 49.1km/h. Not sure where 531db finished but he finished with the bunch.

A great but tough ride to welcome back Heffron in 2009.

The stats:

13 laps - 26.2km
time: 47.27
Avg: 33.1km/h
Max: 53.7km/h (lap 6)
Max HR: 194bpm
Avg HR: 169bpm
Avg cad:74rpm

See you all next time

micklan

Postby micklan » 17 Jan 2009, 21:11

Nice work Beanzy !

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 17 Jan 2009, 21:13

Congratulations Beanzy, a well deserved win

BTW, 531DB is Fixed_Gear on this forum.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 17 Jan 2009, 21:28

Reference to the dude from Sutherland, is our very own friend George who often does RNP with us and Foaud. He thought he had red numbers on his back and was calling them all back, whilst we were actually calling him back. It was quite funny (afterwards! Twas a bit of shouting going at the time).

I've never seen anything like it. B and C grade jointly started to overtake us between the Aussie rules and Soccor oval. We were all side by side and very squeezed with A Grade tried to squeeze through all three bunches.

Then we hit the S bends!!! Imagine, four grades jouslting for position on a 4 metre wide road and then bends. At last, I felt I was riding in the real peleton!!

Beanzy, it was a very interesting, or unsual move you made to say the least. On the most narrowest bit of road before the pimples, you surged whilst A grade was coming through forcing us to go hell for leather. We ended up having to take over the strung out A grade guys who in the middle and back couldn't get past you guys on the front and before long we were a merged bunch of riders going flat out. By the time we got around to McEwen straight and D grade reconsolidated (less about 4 or 5 D graders), there was about 4 or 5 A graders who got strung out and cut off and their race was over.

I didn't realise you got over 50 but it did seem pretty fast at the time.

Oh well, one race up for 2009 and the first DHBC rider at Heffron this year. Our friend of the club Fixed Gear was there as well.

Beanzy

Postby Beanzy » 18 Jan 2009, 09:45

A grade were a small bunch. It is a good time to attack when another bunch is coming. It shakes up the bunch. But i am sure you all now that i am not strong enough to get away, especially in the wind! It was a surge designed to see who had legs and consequently who i would be marking the rest of the race. It turned out to be Sutherland (George) and easts lad.

The A graders who were dropped should HTFU!! Thats why they are in A grade! Its not as if we were blocking the track. We were still sitting on the left hand side.

timyone

Postby timyone » 22 Jan 2009, 23:16

Man your turning into one of those young wippersnappers that the older lads complain about beanzy! I noticed the same sorta tactic tonight on the track!

Return to “Road”