Heffron 08.11.08

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 07 Nov 2008, 19:46

Its been a long time since I rolled out to Heffron. Is anyone else planning to race tomorrow? I think we all kick off at 3pm. Better shave my legs tonight : )

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 07 Nov 2008, 20:27

Thinking about it, especially if it's wet in the morning.

Just checked RBCC. It's 4pm start for ABCD. What happened to E?

micklan

Postby micklan » 08 Nov 2008, 08:07

Dear all,

Due to the lack of numbers in E and F grade, E and F grade races have been cancelled.

A,B,C and D grade now start at 4pm whilst daylight savings is on.

For the newbies D grade is now the slowest grade. Do not be overwhelmed, come down and learn your racing skills in a smallish bunch.

See ya there.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 08 Nov 2008, 11:07

With the weather and other commitments today, I don't think I'll be able to make it out there... grhhh

micklan

Postby micklan » 08 Nov 2008, 17:32

Conditions: Humid, 22 degrees, strong SW wind

Riders C grade: Alex R, Micklan
Late Riders: Lindsay M, Ian
C grade report
Alex R: finshed a very strong 6th, reported av 37kmph. Alex R has been singularly flying the DHBC red each Saturday at Heffron of late - where is the red team?
Micklan: dropped lap 6 - advises he will return to D grade (what was he thinking)
D grade report
Congratulations to Beanzy - takes it out, reported av 35kmph

Beanzy

Postby Beanzy » 08 Nov 2008, 18:10

Another blustery Sou-wester greeted D grade today. A large field (12?) with a few newbies took to the start line. A few forum regulars namely myself, Alex and Gkats were there. Gkats i belive joined the club today - welcome.

I took the lead for the first half lap to allow every one to settle and so we could also warm up a bit. Alex then took the lead over the back and proceeded to crank the pace up a bit.

Essentially me and Alex rotated the lead for the first couple of laps. I even did a mild attack over the back! The pace was too hot for a few and they dropped off after the first few laps.

Gkats in his first race did some huge efforts on the front. He certainly wasn't shy and i appreciated the rest. The pace was a bit up and down but more up than anything. When i took my turn on the front i wanted it down!

With about 4 laps to go, with the field thinned down to about 7. C grade passed us, so we dropped back a little. C grade then went into "Sunday Social Ride" mode, which they tend to do. We followed for about a lap, just cruising along. With about 2.5 laps to go i knew it would get messy for us in the sprint being behind C grade. I proceeded to attack and went right through C grade, shouting a few words of encouragement to C grade as i went. Alex was following me and kept the attack going, but we pulled up a bit coming into the main straight. The attack had the desired affect of Sstirring C grade up and they up the ante, passed us and kept going. We now had a clear sprint.

One to go and the pace backed off a little. I think Gkats was on the front with me not far behind. I think Alex was very close to me.

Over the back a bloke who sat on the back the entire race came through so i sat on his wheel. The pace gradually picked up. Coming into the straiight, I was 2nd wheel but really not tucked in behind the rider. Keiran, the young fella was to my right and i reckon Alex would have been right on my wheel.

With about 300 to go i really launched. I even got outa the saddle, which is rare for me in a sprint. I powered along, even changing gears to get a bit more speed. Then the worst sound a cyclist can here. Some yelling and the inevitable scraping of metal on concrete. 2 riders had come down behind me. I looked back, not really sure of what was happening, kept up the sprint and crossed the line first a fair bit ahead of second, with Alex third. Apparently there was a touch of handlebar on hip that brought the riders down. Unfortunately Gkats was one of them. I not sure of the injuries but Gkats was nursing his wrist and the other rider was treated for abrasions. The ambulance came but Im not sure of the full extent of the injuries. I might leave Alex to elaborate on the crash as it all happened behind me.

So an eventful race, i hope the injuries heal quick and they don't discourage you from coming along again. For me thats two wins in a row in D grade, I guess i might be knocking on C grades door. Although these last two weeks are the only two races i have completed at Heffron in a while!

The stats:
Race time: 50m24s
Dist: 28.4km
Avg speed: 33.8km/h (up about 1km/h from last week)
Avg cadence: 77rpm
Avg Heart rate: 177bpm
Max speed: 50.3km/h (sprint up bout 4km/h from last week, still into a nasty headwind!)
Max heart rate: 197bpm (up bout four from last week - certainly not 220-my age!)

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 08 Nov 2008, 19:06

According to another's report, downed rider had fractured his collar bone. A first time racer who only joined a club today. :?

timyone

Postby timyone » 10 Nov 2008, 09:36

man nice report beanzy!

Man micklan dont worry youll be back up and better than those c graders soon enough (well depending on training and time constraints im guessing.)

It sux to hear that there was a crash with a new person :S not having any lower grades doesnt help with that, but odds are that if they were in the sprint they didnt need to be a grade lower any way.

Return to “Road”