Road conditions near the Audley entrance to the RNP

Road cycling & upcoming rides
mcrkennedy

Postby mcrkennedy » 17 May 2008, 10:57

Hi folks

I noticed on the the Highway heading towards Sydney that the shoulder of the mad mile has been resurfaced. I also noted that just before the Audley turnoff the resurfacing ends and the shoulder is just a mess. Riding back you will need to go on to the left hand lane. So the last part of the straight needs to taken with some caution.

Michael

FAswad

Postby FAswad » 17 May 2008, 12:58

YES!!!

The powers that be have decided it was time to resurface the northbound breakdown lane on the Princes Highway which is excellent.

Except for a short strech about 200 meters from the railway tracks that cross the highway just before the Audely exit. The authorities have decided that it was ok to pull the bitumen and leave a deathtrap for cyclists. An early warning is all that it would take to remove a great risk to cyclists powering down that strech. Frankly, I am appaled by such behaviour as it would not have been fun had I, or any other cyclist, come off due to the carelessness of whoever is in charge.

So for all who intend the go out tomorrow, keep in mind that you will need to navigate that strch with care. As Michael said, the best would be to secure the left hand a bit before that area.

F

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 18 May 2008, 13:29

Pity I didn't read this before the ride today - not even a sign to warn us - incredibly dangerous and just so typical of the disregard for cyclists shown by road agencies of all types.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 18 May 2008, 19:48

I read it luckily, and checked where the issue was on the way out, but we still had to slow done slightly for a gap in the traffic. I think the bigger problem today was that long section without lane markings, very dangerous, especially since the little flags that give at least some idea of where the lane is had mostly been torn off by cars running over them, so it was prettymuch guess work some of the time, even the cars seemed to be having trouble knowing where the lanes were.

Return to “Road”