Coota Haycutters and Recovery Handicaps 10&11 May 08

Road cycling & upcoming rides
geoff m

Postby geoff m » 24 Mar 2008, 22:37

Guys, I'm yet to decide if I can make this, but traditionally DHBC makes a big effort to go to the event, which is a great weekend away.

For anyone who is a city slicker, Cootamundra is 4 hours drive southwest. My beagle dog comes from there.

http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/files/Rac ... /08132.htm

http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/files/Rac ... /08134.htm

Again, people attending should log below on the thread. We should coordinate transport.

Its a great weekend away and a great race. Don't think - just book!

Eugen Schilter

Postby Eugen Schilter » 25 Mar 2008, 17:35

Definitley on my agenda

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 25 Mar 2008, 22:49

Still considering this one. I'll definitely be doing the Cootamundra races later in the year, but still thinking about these.

williamd

Postby williamd » 26 Mar 2008, 19:52

Is the course hilly or flat.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 26 Mar 2008, 21:06

Depends on your definition. I'd say more flat than hilly, but that might just be me. Unless there's a mountain range in the middle it's flat.... 8)

I'll try and think back and put the courses in mapmyride so you can check out the elevation.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 26 Mar 2008, 21:28

Bill,

Generally Flat by Day 1 has more hills.

Day 2 is almost all flat with one 500 metre hill from memory? Don't quote me to the exact topography, but Day 2 is definitely almost entirely flat.

Beanzy

Postby Beanzy » 27 Mar 2008, 09:04

Dear all,

I have a profile for most of the course, but i am unsure how to post it here (jpeg 92kb). Can someone tell/show me or altenatively i can email it to someone and they can post it.

Cheers

Beanzy

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 27 Mar 2008, 09:21

Dear all,

I have a profile for most of the course, but i am unsure how to post it here (jpeg 92kb). Can someone tell/show me or altenatively i can email it to someone and they can post it.

Cheers

Beanzy
Upload it to something like flicr or photobucket and then link it with the Img tag.

Beanzy

Postby Beanzy » 27 Mar 2008, 11:07

OK Here goes...Saturday Race profile.

Please note i am missing data between hill 2 and the roundabout at Wallanbeen. That is why it is a straight line.

If i dig really deep in my archives i may be able to get Sunday race but it will take a bit of time as i have to break up GPS track logs. I was to hung over too ride the Sunday race but i have driven it. I would factor in the prospect of drinks on Saturday night after race 1. This is an important aspect of the weekend...

Beanzy

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 23 Apr 2008, 19:51

Just a reminder that entries close this weekend.

So far it's me and Simon L entered, and i know Eugen will be. Let me know if you enter, so we can start organising accomodation and transport.

Stretch

Postby Stretch » 23 Apr 2008, 21:45

I'm in

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 23 Apr 2008, 21:54

AL just rang me to let me know that him and Ron are entering and he will be driving the van!

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 23 Apr 2008, 22:13

I'm now thinking of entering.....Will let you know.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 23 Apr 2008, 22:15

Don't think - just book!

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 23 Apr 2008, 22:18

Look's like I snookered myself!!!!

Stay tuned....

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 23 Apr 2008, 23:23

Event Date: Saturday 10 May 2008
Event Name: Cootamundra Haycarters
Codes: 08132 / 2628 / MMAS3 Entry List

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Event Date: Sunday 11 May 2008
Event Name: Cootamundra Haycarters Recovery
Codes: 08134 / 2629 / MMAS3 Entry List

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Event Date: Sunday 25 May 2008
Event Name: Ken Dinnerville Memorial Handicap
Codes: 08142 / 2653 / MMAS3 Entry List

OK Simon, the deed has been done. Its a busy month for me! Let Al know I wouldn't mind a lift, and I will need to join in on accommodation.

Regards

Huw

Postby Huw » 24 Apr 2008, 12:54

I'm in a wheel pickle with my road bike.

My rear wheel (entry-level Bontrager Select) has developed cracks in the rim, affecting five of the drive-side spoke holes:
OK, I'm really sorry about the picture - it's not mine (but it's the same problem with the same wheelset) - I found it linked on another forum and it's the only size I could obtain.

Also, bad luck has befallen my attempts to obtain two sets of new wheels - rims that would be built into one set were damaged in transit, and the second set will be unavailable until after Coota.

I haven't had any responses from Clarence St either regarding an email query about warranty on my cracked rim. (Is it just me, or do others feel uneasy when the Clarence St guys walk around all the time saying "done!"). Perhaps I need to lug the damn wheel in to them to get a response? Or perhaps if it was an Aeolus, they'd've paid me some attention?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, for now, I don't have a rear wheel.

Beanzy

Postby Beanzy » 24 Apr 2008, 13:21

I too had the same cracked rims on the Bonty's - twice. Renegade replaced them under warranty although the second time they went up one level in spec (eylets on the rims after approval from TREK) and have not had a problem since. Another mate had the same issue.

Might be a common problem with the "strong and powerful" rider. Appears to be a common problem after a search on the net. I even had a response from Keith Bontrager who suggest the cracking was due to corrosion from salt laid onto icy roads. I pointed out that i lived in Sydney Australia and if ever we needed salt on the roads, global warming is just a big lie....

Huw

Postby Huw » 24 Apr 2008, 13:27

Beanzy,

I did find your name when I was reading up on this problem. That's a great story about KB!

My bike was new around the end of 2005. I read in one of the forums that the warranty on wheels is five years. If so, then great. I'll definitely ask if there's any possible way to upgrade, since the reports about higher-level wheels from Bontrager seem a little more favourable.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 24 Apr 2008, 14:32

Huw, I'd suggest you go straight into Clarence St. I'm running the Bontrager Race wheels on my new Trek. When I did some research into the bike I found so many people hated bontrager wheels. If there was one thing people liked about them, it was the warranty.

Btw: regarding Coota, I'd really like to go, but am trying to have some weekends that are not dedicated to cycling. I know, what a crazy thought. I call it the work/bike balance.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 24 Apr 2008, 14:38

Huw, what happened to those deep V style rims (forget brand) that you got from OS last year, you haven't built the wheels?

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 24 Apr 2008, 15:23

Huw, what happened to those deep V style rims (forget brand) that you got from OS last year, you haven't built the wheels?
I believe those were the rims damaged in transit.

Anyway Huw, i can lend you a rear wheel if you want. Might even be able to offer you a choice of wheels, just let me know.

Huw

Postby Huw » 24 Apr 2008, 17:15

Yeah, 3 of the 4 rims were damaged. FAswad and me are hopefully getting to the end of a long effort to have them replaced, but it certainly won't be until after Cootamundra that they'll be built.

T-Bone, thanks so much for your offer to spot me a wheel. I might just take you up on it! Do you have a strong one?

FAswad

Postby FAswad » 24 Apr 2008, 19:37

Are we expecting that long a delay in the delivery of the rims? I was hoping we would receive them sooner than that. I know that compared to what you are going through, I can't complain. So I might as well keep my trap shut.
Yeah, 3 of the 4 rims were damaged. FAswad and me are hopefully getting to the end of a long effort to have them replaced, but it certainly won't be until after Cootamundra that they'll be built.

T-Bone, thanks so much for your offer to spot me a wheel. I might just take you up on it! Do you have a strong one?

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 24 Apr 2008, 21:12

I too initially had problems with Bontrager and I couldn't fault Clarence Street one bit in how they went about fixing up my problem.

It might be worth going in - ideally see if you know who sold you the bike although this should not be necessary. But if you have build a relationship with one of the staff then this makes it easier.

I bought an entry level Trek 1200 with Bontrager but found that the spokes on the back wheel kept breaking.

One week i was at a residential course at UNSW and was going to ride every morning around Centennial Park. When a spoke broke for the third time, I rang Anthony Challinor (who I believe has gone alone with his own bike repair shop on military road, Neutral Bay?) who arranged the Clarence Street delivery courier to drop by, pick up my back wheels and leave a basic, but working second hand replacement set. I was able to ride for the week and then drop by the shop and replace the wheels.

They completely rebuilt the back spokes which have never been a problem since.

So Huw, you may even be able to ask for a set of second hand replacement wheels if its goign to take awhile to replace.

You can borrow my very same back wheel but I think its only 9 speed in cogs?

williamd

Postby williamd » 24 Apr 2008, 21:22

Huw,

I have 2 strong wheels ( mavic Kysrium) with campag record 10 speed with New GP4000s tyres if you are interested. Wheels weigh 1.5kilos.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 24 Apr 2008, 21:31

Basically Huw, anyway you look at it, you no longer have a valid reason not to register for Coota!!!!

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 29 Apr 2008, 17:50

Ok, after a lot of ringing around, i've found us a place, though not in Cootamundra, as the only accomodation left was the bus shelter, and even then it would have been a tight squeeze.

We'll be staying at the Shirley B&B, 20km down the road in Bethungra. Cost will be $60 each, i think it was $80 for Al and Coral, but it includes breakfast, which for only $10 extra (included in the $60) it was decided to be worthwhile. I was hoping for a bit cheaper, but we probably needed to book a week or to ago as there was nothing left.

Anyway, next time i plan to book 1month in advance, so be ready....

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 29 Apr 2008, 18:28

Are AL & Coral staying with us?

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 29 Apr 2008, 18:43

Yeah, but they only need one bed for the 2 of them, so it's cheaper.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 09 May 2008, 00:22

Guys going to Coota. I've only just picked this email now, sent to me by Bucko of RBCC on Tuesday. He was hoping for confirmation on numbers by Thursday. Hopefully, we can organise something this Friday.

If I get reasonable concensus, I'm gunna confirm our attendance. I'll give Al a call.

Are you guys mainly in??

Does anyone know of numbers from partners?

Pasta Dinner smorgasbord includes desert coffee or and tee

Where: The White Ibis 21 Wallendoon Street , Cootamundra
When: Saturday Night May 10 2008 (Hay Carters Race)
Time :7:00 PM sharp
Bar opens 6.00 PM
Cost; $25 Per Head

In addition to RBCC, we will probably be joined by St George, Sutherland, FRF NSWIS, Drapac. Much better than long ques and bistro of the RSL. Pasta will go down well, so will liquid carbohydrates.

James F?
Simon L?
Me
Stretch? (Cheryl?)
Eugen?
Ron?
Al?
Coral?

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 09 May 2008, 17:05

I don't mind Geoff, as long as there's food!

Stretch

Postby Stretch » 09 May 2008, 17:45

. . .just me and James. . .well he'll probably go with the majority.

Cheryl's having an enjoyable weekend. . . at home :mrgreen:

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 12 May 2008, 10:17

Race report. From my perspective.

It has been a few years since I"ve ridden a handicap on the road, my only real road racing in last 3 years was Grafton and the Sydney road titles last year neither of which I was really competitive, more joy riding.

For these two races there was one simply objective; to gain some endurance for the track. The Saturday was supposed to be the hillier course of the two days, it definitely had one steep inclines but in truth I think both races were fairly similar. In terms of handicaps AL, Ron & stretch were in limit, me & Geoff were two minutes behind them, James was two minutes behind us and Eugene was another eight minutes behind that from memory. & I think limit was 18 minutes in front of scratch to give you an idea of the full handicapping.

Anyway the Saturday race was fast, I think we averaged a bit over 40kms an hour with wind. We set out at a descent pace, I lead my bunch over the major climb and sat sat on the back for the decent, I'm sure my bars were flexing, it was a really rough decent. In fact Geoff was already dropped by this stage and spent an hour with Megan Dunn who face planted at 60kms/hr! She did make it to the dinner that night I heard though. Hope she recovers well.

James' bunch caught our bunch at about the 30km mark just after we caught the limit bunch. the 10m minute bunch then caught to. It was about this point that my chances were smashed when I was climbing right up the outside of the bunch to the front when my chain came off! & later we found that the lock ring on my cassette had come loose and my cluster was out of whack too. James cramped at this point and we both ended up with bunch behind and sat with them for another 10-15kms. My gearing was all over the shop and I was suffering & so too was James, so on the last real climb of the day we both began to struggle and went off the back of that group to land onto Eugene's bunch on the decent and that's how we all finished in the third bunch behind the winners, a couple of minutes down if that.

That night we were suffering, I was like a zombie, a very stiff one at that and James didn't look much better. Sleep didn't do much, breakfast helped. But it's funny though the thing that did change my day was discovering what was wrong with my bike. I pulled the rear wheel off and the cluster just fell off. Once we tightened that my day seemed to change!

The handicap was basically the same as the day before as to was the start of the race and I'm guessing the average speed was slightly faster. We caught limit about 20kms out, James' bunch caught us at the same time and then the race kind of began as we were leading. The only difference was there were strong cross winds making it more difficult just to sit in. It was also an out and back circuit and 10kms longer. At the 35-40 km mark just before the turn around James had had enough for the day and pulled off the bunch. He had a stomach cramp that wouldn't go away. Despite feeling so recked the night before I was feeling very strong. At the turn around we 3 bunches right behind us from memory. Fragments of 2 were to catch, scratch for some reason just didn't ride hard enough. Eugene got dropped from his bunch about 25kms out just before they caught us.

The front bunch kept splintering as people went off the back and it decreased in size then a bunch behind caught and it grew again. There was a lot of swearing and battling for position. At about 30kms to go the bunch split and I was caught at the back. There was nothing I could do. I waited to see who would chase and there was no response. Then I though there was no option so I hit it hard and went solo off the front. chased for a couple hundred meters and actually pulled back the gap by myself! I couldn't believe it, it meant I was actually stronger than the people at the front of the bunch. I've got to laugh I actually sat in the convoy of cars at the back of the bunch for a minute or two to recoup enough energy to make the final acceleration onto the back of the bunch. It was like a mini tour! I feel a bit sorry for the riders I rode away from they absolutely blew up watching me ride away from them so effortlessly.

Anyway I just sat on the back out of the wind till the final climb of the day and struggled a bit, there was a bunch right behind us so I didn't kill myself up the climb and tagged onto them and the two groups came together at the bottom of the climb. I finished with the front bunch and still felt really good. I probably should have had a go in the sprint but that would of meant finding a way through 40 riders to the front. It was definitely a great day out I really had a ball & finally undid those demons from the past to finish with the winners in a road race! I don't doubt that if I keep riding road opens there will be ample opportunity to do some sprinting.

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 12 May 2008, 12:12

Hi Simon,

great report...

cheers,

Huw

Postby Huw » 12 May 2008, 12:37

Awesome report! And very well done indeed for staying in the race for the whole distance!

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 12 May 2008, 13:15

Wow Simon, sounds like an excellent weekend.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 12 May 2008, 13:54

Yeah, weekend was good fun, especially where we stayed, but I started with a bunch too hard. I was in the 2nd group to leave 4 minutes behind the limit guys, in with Bucko and Barry Maroud of RBCC and of course our very own Simon, and lasted 5kms on that day.

We weren't able to negotiate for the handicapper to move me down to limit on the Sunday which got a 6 minutes start on us. I did have a good 12 kms ride, keeping with this bunch reasonably comfortably. Then we hit the first long hill. I thought I was with them, slowly moving from the front to the back, and then just ran out of fuel 10 metres from the top, and saw them go over and off!

I felt I did make one contribution on Saturday being the first to come across Megan Dunn (won the Melbourne Bay Crit Series in Jan at age of 16 - you will probably remember her) and help keep her stable in the middle of the road whilst we waited 15 mins for the first aider and about 50 minutes for the ambo (busy day for them).

This bunch (4th group to leave and 4 minutes behind me) wizzed by so fast at the bottom of the hill I had no chance of latching on, only to see the back of them clip wheels and Megan and one other guy hit the road at what I thought was about 60kms per hour. A third guy stayed upright. The guy shoulder butted the road, whilst poor Megan hit it with her helmet then chin/nose/teeth. Her front wheel was shattered in about 4 places.

He was sitting upright holding his shoulder/arm in pain and she was face down with a pool of blood, so I instinctively went to her. The other guy didn't seem to break anything, and with bark off his knee he was then fine to direct traffic which was mainly the other 7 bunches as we kept Megan still in the middle of the road until correctly lifted into the ambo. It probably took her 30 minutes to know where she was and what happened

She recovered well albeit lost bark from her chin and nose and a chipped tooth. She's as gutsy girl and you will hear more about her. She was more worried about her ruined Oakley sunnies!

There was a report in one of the local papers
http://dailyadvertiser.yourguide.com.au ... 68178.aspx

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 12 May 2008, 14:04

Could of been much worst for Megan, still not nice.

Geoff, how did you end up on that handicap in the first place?

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 12 May 2008, 14:27

Prettymuch everything has been said. It was some very enjoyable and fast racing, with an average speed for me on saturday of 40.3km/h, and on sunday i averaged 41-42 to halfway, before going off the back, though my legs were basically finished 20km before.

My lack of training, and a stomach bug i had didn't really help me, though luckily i got some suitable drugs into me upon returning home.

Overall, a good race to get the legs moving before the Ken Dinnerville, i just need to train them a little more in the next week.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 12 May 2008, 15:52

Nice racing. I also wondered how did Geoff got into the same group as Simon? How were you graded?

Sorry to hear about the nasty accident though.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 12 May 2008, 16:38

Nice racing. I also wondered how did Geoff got into the same group as Simon? How were you graded?
State handicapers. It's been a couple of years since I've raced, so they don't know me. Plus Lindsay puts in a suggestion as the voice of the club. But it was some fast racing, I didn't think there were particularly any weak riders there. I think it is more of a question why Geoff wasn't in limit?

Hopefully I"ll get another good mark for Dapto...

Stretch

Postby Stretch » 12 May 2008, 17:39

surprise on day 2. . . Limit averaged 37kph for the first 10k . . . about when I got dropped.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 14 Jul 2008, 11:55

I felt I did make one contribution on Saturday being the first to come across Megan Dunn (won the Melbourne Bay Crit Series in Jan at age of 16 - you will probably remember her) and help keep her stable in the middle of the road whilst we waited 15 mins for the first aider and about 50 minutes for the ambo (busy day for them).

This bunch (4th group to leave and 4 minutes behind me) wizzed by so fast at the bottom of the hill I had no chance of latching on, only to see the back of them clip wheels and Megan and one other guy hit the road at what I thought was about 60kms per hour. A third guy stayed upright. The guy shoulder butted the road, whilst poor Megan hit it with her helmet then chin/nose/teeth. Her front wheel was shattered in about 4 places.

He was sitting upright holding his shoulder/arm in pain and she was face down with a pool of blood, so I instinctively went to her. The other guy didn't seem to break anything, and with bark off his knee he was then fine to direct traffic which was mainly the other 7 bunches as we kept Megan still in the middle of the road until correctly lifted into the ambo. It probably took her 30 minutes to know where she was and what happened

She recovered well albeit lost bark from her chin and nose and a chipped tooth. She's as gutsy girl and you will hear more about her. She was more worried about her ruined Oakley sunnies!
Here's one for you Geoff that girl you helped at the side of the road earlier this year is now a junior world champion! Just goes to show you did your bit for Australian cycling...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/track.php?id ... 75kmpodium

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 14 Jul 2008, 13:11

Oh, great to see her win.

She kept on talking about the world championships, when half concussed - good to see she made it there and won! - with an obvious reminder of Coota on her left chin.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 25 May 2011, 00:25

Disaster and crashes continue.........

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/dunns-h ... t-in-dubbo

Sounds a bit like Tim's terrible injury

timyone

Postby timyone » 25 May 2011, 14:08

Yeah poor lass, every ones been talking about it on facebook

Return to “Road”