Tour Down Under January 2017

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Jacqui

Postby Jacqui » 22 Jul 2016, 11:41

Is anyone going to the TDU in January 2017?

I'm interested in sharing accommodation in Adelaide city from Sat 14th Jan to Sun 22 Jan. Does anyone have a spare room or want to organise accommodation together?

Jacqui :D

demerson

Postby demerson » 22 Jul 2016, 14:41

I had intended to go, I've never been but only heard good things. I haven't put much thought into it but if we can get a show of hands maybe we can rent a house for a bunch of us?

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 22 Jul 2016, 14:45

No doubt Dougie will be on here very soon with his plans...

I am hoping to be going though doubt I will be riding. Unfortunately (or fortunately) my best mate lives down there so accommodation is sorted for us. I am sure there will be plenty of people to share with!

demerson

Postby demerson » 22 Jul 2016, 15:17

I had notionally thought I would stay down there for the week of the TDU and then hang around an additional week and go wine tasting ....

DavidJ

Postby DavidJ » 22 Jul 2016, 18:10

have booked a spot to ride in TDU peoples day. Parents live there so accommodation sorted. But will happily ride around the Tour with a bunch from DHBC

Adam W

Postby Adam W » 23 Jul 2016, 08:34

I'd like to come down next year too. May need some accom but only for a few days... keenly awaiting the president's post.

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 25 Jul 2016, 10:53

Hidey Ho TDUers

It's great to read that the yearly jaunt to the Tour Down Under has generated an early bout of interest. 2017's edition of the TDU commences on the 14th of January and concludes on the 22nd of January. Whether you are a regular attendee or a first timer, a good time is certainly to be had.

There is always plenty to see and do at the TDU. Some choose to use the event as a training camp, others as an opportunity to eat cake and ride it off on daily basis. Whatever your desire I am sure you will find company. For that last seven years DHBC has had a team entry in the Bupa Ride, held on the Friday coinciding with Stage 4. I have again registered the "DHBC Domestiques". If you would like to join the team either enter "BCT109" when registering yourself or email the TDU people and have them attach the Team code if you have already registered. Earlybird registration closes this weekend. So bag yourself a discount if you wish.

For the first time in many years I may not be a starter. My family has a Christmas Holiday plan that does not involve a bicycle! If we do manage to make our way to Adelaide it may well only be for a few days. We will see what transpires. After seven straight years of attendance I cannot complain.

For those whom have not yet attended the TDU you will find that there is plenty to occupy the non riding members of the family. From personal experience I have found that there is plenty of time to do breakfast or brunch with your loved ones. You can then ride to your heart's content, meeting up again at the Tour Village for a tasty beverage in the mid afternoon. Opportunities to sightsee and dine in and around Adelaide ensures that friends and family aren't sitting in a hotel room eagerly awaiting your arrival.

There are a wide variety of accommodation options in Adelaide. You can stay in the Adelaide Hills, the beachside suburb of Glenelg or perhaps in the CBD itself. The fun revolves around the Tour Village located opposite the Adelaide Hilton in Victoria Square. It's from here that the riders depart for their "coffee rides", if you can all two & half hours at 35kph in 40 degree heat a coffee ride! The Pro's are very generous with their time and encouragement. They most certainly love Junior Riders. Phil Liggett, the voice of cycling rides every morning from the Hilton as do so many other Clubs and bunches. This is the place to start your day. The Start and Finish lines are also great places to enjoy the race. It's a super opportunity for you to introduce your family to cycling, bag some autographs and some "Tour Loot" like bidons and hats etc.

Finally, if you are training for rides such as Three Peaks, the TDU is a great opportunity to get in a solid training block. It's not often you can get 800km of training with 8,000 of climbing in a week. Whatever you choose to do, enjoy the spectacle.

Below is a reminder email to register for the TDU. Remember, our Team Code is BCT109

Hi Douglas,
EARLY BIRD SALES CLOSE THIS WEEK

Register before Sunday 31 July 2016 and you could WIN!

Register for the Bupa Challenge Tour before 5pm ACST on Sunday 31 July 2016 to go into the draw to WIN tickets for you and a friend to the 2017 Legends' Night Dinner and a Corporate Hospitality package on Be Safe Be Seen MAC Stage 6!*

The first 100 teams to register for the Bupa Challenge Tour with 5 or more riders will also receive a FREE Etixx Sports Nutrition pack.*

2017 Bupa Challenge Tour Start Locations

With four start locations catering for any level of experience and confidence, there is a ride to suit everyone.

Norwood to Campbelltown
157.5km
Early bird price: $130

Birdwood to Campbelltown
111km
Early bird price: $130

Mt Pleasant to Campbelltown
58km
Early bird price: $105

Lobethal to Campbelltown
30km
Early bird price: $85

Register now for the ride of your life!

* Terms and conditions apply.

Contact Us | Unsubscribe | Disclaimer | Privacy
© Copyright 2016

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 25 Jul 2016, 11:31

:shock: No Dougie?! :shock:

Jacqui

Postby Jacqui » 27 Jul 2016, 11:08

What :o ! It wont be the same without you Dougie.

I'm always impressed that the pros ride are happy to ride with the juniors, our potential future Australian heros.

jb 8)

Diana M

Postby Diana M » 29 Jul 2016, 11:23

Dougie! No!

I'm definitely going to go next year, but will be staying with a friend so no accommodation required for me.

demerson

Postby demerson » 01 Aug 2016, 12:20

We could get a group together to do Bupa Challenge Tour ride ... ?

http://tourdownunder.com.au/en/bupa-cha ... entry-fees

Is anyone interested?

Diana M

Postby Diana M » 01 Aug 2016, 14:55

Yep, I'm definitely in for that Dave.

demerson

Postby demerson » 01 Aug 2016, 15:24

Just confirming it's the 157k route we would all be doing ? Also what average speed do we say so we all start together ?

Cheers,
Dave

Adam W

Postby Adam W » 01 Aug 2016, 15:37

Hey Dave, I'm up for the 157km. Looks like Dougie has already registered the DHBC Domestiques team for us.

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 01 Aug 2016, 18:21

Team Code is BCT109 when you register for the Bupa

DavidJ

Postby DavidJ » 02 Aug 2016, 18:53

I entered b4 the team code came along, no issues but. Yes 157km, plus the ride back from the finish. I put down 25km as my average.

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 03 Aug 2016, 14:47

David,
Just email the TDU people and have them add your name to the team using the code BCT 109

demerson

Postby demerson » 16 Aug 2016, 20:11

Is anyone going to the TDU in January 2017?

I'm interested in sharing accommodation in Adelaide city from Sat 14th Jan to Sun 22 Jan. Does anyone have a spare room or want to organise accommodation together?

Jacqui :D
Jacqui did you end up sorting accommodation, I am happy to share a place though I'm not sure if I can be there for the entire TDU, I was thinking of heading down on the 18th or something like that (basically missing some of the start though i've never been so if that is a bad idea let me know...).

Does that work for you? No stress if it's too complex.

Also Diana are you coming too? Do you also need somewhere to stay? I would like to get a handle on the accommodation side of things soon if possible.

Cheers,
Dave

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 17 Aug 2016, 15:17

Suggested Itinerary
Tour Down Under 2017

Sunday January 15, 2017 to Sunday January 22, 2017
In my opinion Adelaide is quite unfairly underrated by the rest the Nation. It has an abundance of activities and a wonderful climate. Adelaide is a good sized city offering all the services that one would expect without the hustle and bustle of Sydney and Melbourne or even Brisbane for that matter.

Being so far south daylight saving allows for long, sunlit days in summer. For sure it can be hot. Very Hot if the truth be told. This heat though is dry rather that the steamy version we have on the east coast. The daylight fades after 8pm and the sun rises early to greet the early risers. Nowhere is particularly far in Adelaide. The CBD is an agreeable 1.6km by 1.6km square. The Adelaide Metro area is a planned city and laid out in a grid fashion, making navigation straightforward. The plain that Adelaide is built upon varies by only around 30 metres of elevation until you start to head towards the base of the Adelaide Hills which sits at about 140 metres. The “Hills” being the rim of a long extinct volcano rise sharply from 140 metres to between 450 and 700 metres over only 6 KM as the crow flies.

The Food and Beverage scene is well developed as are the Arts. No need to limit your intake of Culture from only the Yoghurt on your morning cereal! Some of the country’s best wines hail from South Australia. The restaurant at the famous “Grange” vineyards in the foot hills is quite something to be seen. You have an abundance of cafes, restaurants and pubs to choose from. Your cup will runeth over with choice.

Below are my tips and suggestions for your visit to the Tour Down Under.

For the Family and/or non riding members of the Peloton.
Take some time to visit Glenelg, The Adelaide Zoo, The Hills Village of Stirling, Mt Lofty Lookout, The McLaren Vale and Henley Beach. Take a ride on the tram and wander through the Parklands that surround the city square.

Suggestions for Riders
Flat ride – City, Glenelg, Henley Beach, Outer Harbour and return to the City.
Climbs and Descents – Gorge Rd, Montacute Rd, Norton Summit Rd, “The Corkscrew” Corkscrew Rd, Mt Lofty Summit, “The Bollards” Crafers Bikeway from Glen Osmond to Crafers (Stirling in the Hills), Germantown Hill Rd (Hahndorf Village) and of course the famous Willunga Hill Rd.
Hills Loop 1, Climb Norton Summit Rd, ride across the ridge to Mt Lofty, pausing for a selfie and an ice cream. Then descend back to the City via the Crafers Bike path.
Hills Loop 2, Climb the Crafers Bike path to Stirling and on down to Hahndorf for cake. Retrace your route climbing Germantown Hill and descending the car free Crafers Bike path back to the city.
Hills Loop 3, Climb the stunning Gorge Rd to Paracombe. Retrace your route back to Corkscrew Rd. Climb the brutal Corkscrew and reward yourself with the magical Montacute Rd descent.
Adventure Ride, Head 15km south from the City to join the Patrick Jonker Bikeway. Take this 30km long separated bike path all the way to the town centre of McLaren Vale. Enjoy the bakeries then ride the 7km to the base of the 3km Willunga Hill Climb. Reverse your route for your journey home. Or for the more adventurous, add some serious elevation to your ride by heading home via the Hills.

If I was to attend the whole week this is what I will be doing. I tend to find that starting and finishing from the Tour Village, located in Victoria Square opposite the Hilton is a good reference point. Everyone know where it is and no one gets lost. There’s plenty to so and see there as well as food and VERY tasty post ride beverages.

Sunday – The People’s Choice Classic. This is a city based crit held on the Sunday evening. The route is a little different than in the past. I takes in a piece of the old Formula 1 circuit as well as the restaurant strip on Hutt St. There are usually Big Screens and Live Bands to add to the atmosphere. I suggest grabbing some dinner and wander over to the course to see the action. One of my favourites is the Stag Hotel for a steak or Goodlife for an organic pizza.

Monday – This is a rest day for the Peloton. Today is your prime “pro rider spotting day”. Phil Liggett, the Voice of Cycling rolls out of the Hilton every morning at 6am for a ride with this Adelaide based “La Squadra Adelaide Cycling Club”. They ride for an hour and a half ending up at Café Bocelli for breakfast. They are very welcoming and Phil is very generous in particular with Juniors.
If you stakeout the front steps of the Hilton you can catch a team mechanic on the way to the Tour Village. The Mechanics are a great source of information. They will tell you when the riders are leaving for the “coffee cruise”. 10 – 10.30 am is generally the regular departure time. Armed with this information you can wait at the chute for the riders and team car. If you are quick they’ll pause for a photo and you can jump on the back. If you are respectful then you can sit on their tail and in front of the Team Car. The riders are also very generous with Juniors. You’ll often find a junior up in the bunch being chatted to the pros’ whilst their parent (me!) hangs back hoping that nothing catastrophic occurs. Be aware, they don’t wait. They don’t stop for red lights. Roundabouts are simply obstacles to bunny hopped at great speed. They do like a selfie!

Tuesday – Stage 1, Unley to Lyndoch. This is a good day to sightsee with the family. Perhaps a visit to the Barossa Valley or some such. If you want to ride then I suggest an 8am departure from the Hilton and head to the KOM on Kersbrook Rd. It’s close to 45km from the Hilton. The first 25km is flat and the last 20km is climbing. The route is previous KOM with a flat bit then this year’s KOM for good measure. It’s a long climb! After the Peloton rolls through at about 12.15pm roll home for a well-earned Beer and watch the finish on the Big Screen at the Tour Village.

Wednesday- Stage 2, Stirling to Paracombe. Roll out from the Hilton at 8.30 and take Glen Osmond Rd to the Crafers Bike Path. Wend your way to the Hills Village of Stirling. You’ll arrive at about 10am as the Tour Caravan rolls into town. The whole Village is in Street party Mode. This is a good day for the Family too. They can drive up, park and set up in a shady spot. The Peloton roll out at 11am and do 5 laps through Stirling before heading north and out of town. You can really get up close and personal to the racing with plenty of vantage points. As a rider you can venture a little east to Aldgate and Mylor before retracing your route back to Stirling. The last lap will be completed by 1.30pm. You can now descend back to Adelaide via the car free bike path, not having to turn a pedal for 17km. Finish in the Village with your choice of beverage and the big screen. Alternatively and my choice of fun would be to get the best of both worlds! Watch the start and the first lap from Stirling. At 11.30 leave Stirling and head north to visit Mt Lofty Summit. Pause VERY briefly for a picture and ice cream. Hit the road and head towards Norton Summit. Descend this iconic Adelaide Climb and then once again head north. Climb the stunning Gorge Rd to Torrens Hill Rd and the KOM summit finish at Paracombe. I suggest that you will need to be at the finish by 2pm. This is at least 45 mins before the rides are due to arrive. There’s a lot of climbing and it will most likely be very hot. Once the riders have finished and the road has been reopened reverse your route back down Gorge Rd. It will be very likely you will be in the immediate company of the Pro’s as most will ride back to Adelaide as well.
If you have the strength and the inclination, take this opportunity to ride the Corkscrew. Once at the top of this mammoth beast you will be rewarded with a delightful descent down Montacute Rd. Follow your nose back to Adelaide and the Tour Village for a very VERY well earned Beer.

Thursday – Stage 3, Glenelg to Victor Harbor. I suggest that you choose to either see the start of the race and spend the day exploring the Hills, skip the start and aim to see the Peloton roll through the KOM or leave early and ride the 100KM to Victor Harbor and see the riders do their laps of Victor. I would lean toward the KOM version. I say this because I will be doing the BUPA ride the following day. I am not sure that having 200KM plus in the legs the day before is the best course of action. Note there’s a couple of hills between Adelaide and Victor Harbor!

Friday – Stage 4 and the BUPA ride, Norwood to Campbelltown. I love this ride! William loves this ride. It’s just plain good fun. No pressure and a super day on the bike with plenty of support along the way. Meet up at the Cibo Café on the Parade at Norwood for a Coffee, Muffin and Team Photo. There’s toilets and café’s galore. Enjoy the day on the bike. Finish at lunch time and wait for the Pro’s to roll in. Ride home with the Pro’s once again. I will be looking for a steak with pepper sauce, chips and salad accompanied by a large bottle of McLaren Vale Shiraz.

Saturday – Stage 5, McLaren Vale to Willunga Hill. This is my favourite stage of the Tour. It’s said that over 30,000 spectators line the road on the Willunga Hill climb. The noise and carnival like atmosphere is something else. Even if you can only get to Adelaide for the weekend, this stage makes it all worthwhile. Rollout of the Hilton at 8am and take the bikeway south to McLaren Vale. You’ll arrive in the main street of McLaren Vale at about 10 am to greet the Tour Caravan as it arrives into town. The Peloton leave at 11am and start their laps of the Vineyards and Beach. Stay in McLaren Vale to see the Peloton roll through the village. Once the Green Light vehicle has passed and the road has been reopened, mount up and ride the 7KM to Willunga. Take this opportunity to grab some lunch and use the facilities as there are very spare creature comforts on the Hill. See the riders come through again at 1.15pm as they then head off on their final lap of the beaches and vines. It’s time to climb! Take in the atmosphere of the spectators lining the roadside. If you have a Junior with you be prepared for a wild and raucous, albeit very good natured reception as you pedal this hill. The crowd loves a kid on a bike and are always swift to show their appreciation of the effort. The roar for a kid is almost as big as the roar for the riders.
Weave your way to the top, or at least as high as you can get. I have been anywhere from 150 to 300 metres from the finish. Aim to be in place by 2pm. Pro Tip, find the coffee tent and get close. There’s something wonderful about a freshly made Ice Coffee on a hot day. Park your bike in a tree, Yes, trust me. In a tree. Settle in for the fun to begin. The riders will come through for the first time at about 2.30pm with the second lap at about 3pm. It’s a Zoo and so much fun! Once it’s done and dusted I ride back to the City.

Sunday – Stage 6, City Crit. I have to admit that this isn’t my favourite day. The kids love it though. If you hangout need the pits then the mechanics hand out Bidons and hats etc. I like to have an early pedal and then a late breakfast with the family. Perhaps you may wish to repeat one of the climbs you have done during the week. Maybe you are simply packing your bags and flying home. Either way, enjoy the last day of racing.

Happy TDU, cheers Dougie

Adam W

Postby Adam W » 17 Aug 2016, 15:38

That is an awesome guide Dougie! Thanks for taking the time. Are you sure you aren't going??

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 17 Aug 2016, 15:51

Adam, We're aiming to come down on the Wednesday evening flight and leave on the Sunday. However I'll see closer to November how life is. I have booked the BUPA ride for William and I anyway.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 12 Nov 2016, 09:20

Just putting this out there:
Feeding the beast that is SANTOS

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/201 ... ding-beast
Attachments
santos.png
santos.png (62.94 KiB) Viewed 8509 times

Jacqui

Postby Jacqui » 01 Dec 2016, 12:05

Jacqui did you end up sorting accommodation, I am happy to share a place though I'm not sure if I can be there for the entire TDU, I was thinking of heading down on the 18th or something like that (basically missing some of the start though i've never been so if that is a bad idea let me know...).

Does that work for you? No stress if it's too complex.

Also Diana are you coming too? Do you also need somewhere to stay? I would like to get a handle on the accommodation side of things soon if possible.

Cheers,
Dave

Hi Dave,

Apologies I didn't see this post earlier. Where are you at on the accommodation side of things? Have you booked?

Regards .... Jacqui

colin

Postby colin » 06 Jan 2017, 12:29

Hi All,
both Caitlin and I have previously registered with the team and are signed up to ride the 157.5km.
We are getting there the week before for Caitlin to race in the NJTS.
see you in Adelaide
Colin

Return to “Road”