Heffron 1st March 2008

Road cycling & upcoming rides
mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 01 Mar 2008, 21:04

On the way over, about 4.10pm there were over a hundred motorbikes with green head lamps and flags on them exiting Tempe Reserve

Please excuse the quality of the photograph

Last edited by mikesbytes on 02 Mar 2008, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 01 Mar 2008, 21:10

E grade report

By the time I had arrived E grade had fractured and Bill was struggling to stay on.

And then he was dropped completely

3 riders in the front with Bill in the background

As Bill crosses the start finish the 3 riders are going around the corner

However Bill did a magnificent job to crawl back the distance and get back on the 3 riders. Bell lap and Bill was looking good, however his energy was spent on Saturday Slowies and 4th it was to be, so close to the money.

Please congratulate Bill on a job well done !

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 01 Mar 2008, 21:39

D grade report

We had 4 riders in D grade;
- Lindsay M
- Nick C
- Michael D
- Michael C (yours truly)

Lindsay had brought out a secret weapon, while Michael D contemplated his first Heffron race.

After the first lap Lindsay was near the front while Michael D and myself were mid field and Nick a little behind. There weren't any attacks, so nothing much happened until Michael D got a flat in the pimples, I realised he probably didn't know about the one lap out for mechanicals and tried to tell him to go the start and rejoin next lap.

Later in the race a girl did a half baked attack, or it might of been that she got confused with C grade overtaking. Preacher and I followed thru and it ended up as a mess of C and D grade inter tangled. Preacher got jack of her, he said "I've told her twice, someone else can chase now" So I chased and caught her.

Then we went round and round and round. On some laps Lindsay took the front, if there was a prize for the most laps you crossed the start finish first, then Lindsay would of taken it.

15 laps to go and someone goes off the front and Nick chases, eventually the pace resides with 1 lap to go, I cruise to the front and pull up beside Nick and then I roll forward a bit and then I realise "hey I'm in the lead with about 10metres" so I put pedal to the metal and get about 30 meters. The rest of the pack chases, with Nick at the helm. I hit the strong headwind in the straight, hold my down wind gear and pump has hard as I can, they are catching, with 100mtrs to go I just give it everything I've got and get pipped on the line, victory is torn from me. But wait on, there's another rider in front, what I didn't know was that the break away rider on the previous lap actually got away, so I was racing for 2nd and came third.

However the real congratulation must go to Lindsay who, correct me if I'm wrong, finished his first D grade race without being dropped.

Dgrade after the race - Lindsay, Nick, Michael, Michael.

Beanzy

What's his name?

D grade Podium

15 smack-a-roos

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 01 Mar 2008, 22:42

Congratulations guys and a great report. Mike, so close yet so far. Better luck next time. And Lindsay finally caved in and brought out the road bike... :wink:

williamd

Postby williamd » 01 Mar 2008, 23:57

Report on E grade race.

On the ride to HP the wind had picked up and I knew that it would be hard going into the wind.

On arrival at HP I could not see many riders however on the start line there were about 12 riders.

I started slowly and after about 3 laps there were 3 riders who made a break.There was a young kid who went passed me so I upped the pace to catch the kid, my heart rate hitting 172 and then I set sail for the 3 out in front.
I eventually caught up to 3 in front and decided to look for any weakness before I made any passing move.I did eventually find a weakness and it was my own coming up the main straight into the southerly wind.

On the bell lap I passed the 3 in front and led most of the last lap however I just could not drop them. I was in the lead till the main straight where the 3 got past me. I was pushing into the wind down the main straight however the 3 in front were too hard to catch by this time so I had to settle for fourth.

It was a good learning experience and I will be back. :(

Congratulations to Michael C, Lindsay, Nick and Michael D. for their good ride and especially Michael C and Lindsay for their great performances.

Sorry I could not stay to watch the race as I had a function to attend.

micklan

Postby micklan » 02 Mar 2008, 05:26

Good reports - great claw back William. The wid must of been a killer

williamd

Postby williamd » 02 Mar 2008, 08:49

Hey Michael

The wind was the strongest I have felt it coming down the main straight.

I was dropped by the leading riders with my heart rate hitting 175, however, down the back section I was able to pick up time and then caught back up.I went into the lead too early on the last lap and the 3 behind were sucking my wheel.

Anyway I have learnt a few tricks now.
:x
See you next week.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 02 Mar 2008, 09:08

I went into the lead too early on the last lap and the 3 behind were sucking my wheel.
People always slow down at the start of the last lap and gauge to see who'll attack and at what point.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 02 Mar 2008, 09:35

What I'm particularly happy about is that I got the result in windy conditions, I seem to be riding much better in windy conditions.

Beanzy

Postby Beanzy » 02 Mar 2008, 09:46

Good race report Mike...

By my clock we had an average speed of 33.8km/h. Bit slower than last week but it was a howling southerly. Or it may of been my very slow turn on the front about mid race.....

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 02 Mar 2008, 12:17

Good race report Mike...

By my clock we had an average speed of 33.8km/h. Bit slower than last week but it was a howling southerly. Or it may of been my very slow turn on the front about mid race.....
That headwind was a bit much for a big fella.

I think the difference is in the breakaways, when we don't have much in the way of breakaways, it seems to be 34kph, where when the race as lots of breakaways it's 36kph.

micklan

Postby micklan » 02 Mar 2008, 14:05

Mike - great to see you on the podium. With those $ winnings you can start the negative gearing etc, offshore tax haven, tax benefit schedule :idea:

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 02 Mar 2008, 16:16

Mike - great to see you on the podium. With those $ winnings you can start the negative gearing etc, offshore tax haven, tax benefit schedule :idea:
Sssh, I'll get done for tax evasion.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 02 Mar 2008, 16:58

Wait on! What's this title with May 2008?

williamd

Postby williamd » 02 Mar 2008, 17:03

Hey Michael

I thought I would start negative gearing but unfortunately missed out on 3rd place.

My plans will now have to waite till next week.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 02 Mar 2008, 17:06

Wait on! What's this title with May 2008?
Fixed, thanks Weiyun

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 02 Mar 2008, 17:07

Hey Michael

I thought I would start negative gearing but unfortunately missed out on 3rd place.

My plans will now have to waite till next week.
Your strong performance yesterday shows you will be on the podium in no time at all.

fixedgear

Postby fixedgear » 03 Mar 2008, 21:00

I see that although Lindsay rode gears, he still had his gear levers in the correct place, ie the downtube!

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 05 Mar 2008, 20:18

Results are up on RBCC site http://www.randwickbotanycc.com/Results ... r_2008.htm

E grade pics

D grade pics

williamd

Postby williamd » 07 Mar 2008, 20:49

If it doen's rain tomorrow who is in for HP.

Return to “Road”