Wheel / power meter advice please

Road cycling & upcoming rides
jonboy

Postby jonboy » 29 Aug 2014, 14:47

My trusty Dura Ace C35 rear wheel disintegrated last Sunday [insert sad face]. The spoke tensions were all awry and a spoke ripped through the carbon where it failed. I got it as an end of year run out half price two years ago so I’m not too bitter.

Up until a low speed crash these wheels were a dream. They were never quite the same after the crash and it’s my own fault using inappropriate, expensive wheels for training rides. The DA hubs are just brilliant. I suppose I have a second hand hub to offload now and some aero spokes if anyone’s interested.

I thought that I might defer to the collective knowledge of the club cognoscenti for wheel advice for the future.

As a replacement (training wheel) I’m thinking that a HED Ardennes with a Powertap might be worthwhile. http://www.wheelbuilder.com/hed-powertap-wheel.html

Hiding behind younger faster riders in a bunch isn’t really going to help my long term fitness. I’m not pretending I will win races - it’s just about self-improvement.

Using a power meter will probably give me more insights as to my actual performance. I’m hoping that with some reading and research I can develop some sort of training / improvement plan so I can understand my effort and the data as opposed to another graph/toy.

So, over to those that know:
1. Do you have a powermeter and if so was it a good investment – do you bother looking at the data?
2. Is the Powertap in question a good buy / unit?
3. Can you recommend some good power meter guidance/tools – Andy Coggan’s book/other?
4. Is the HED Ardennes a good wheel choice – or some alternatives.

Thanks clubsters in advance!

andrewm

Postby andrewm » 29 Aug 2014, 17:32

I had 6 months trouble free use from my powertap. 1 year of hassles. Then the internals died completely. 800 bucks or do for replacement internals, which I didn't spend.

I couldn't recommend a powertap. I'd be doubly cautious of buying from ovrseas because of added hassles in support.

The other thing is, once I started with power data, I didn't want to ride without it. Kind of sticks you to the one wheel.

I'm currently running a stages (cranked based). Other than a minor hassle of the battery cover breaking every time I change the battery, it has been fine for the 6 months I have been using it.

Also look at the pacenti sl23 as a rim if you are considering the Ardennes.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 29 Aug 2014, 22:35

1. Best investment I have ever made. I look at my data daily, others look 1-2 times a week. Depends what you want to get out of it. I love numbers!
2. No, as above look elsewhere. Crank based would be your best option if you want reliability, consistency and longevity.
3. You can start at those books. Once you get an understanding then speak with some experts (perhaps a paid coach for a few months to a year would be a great investment)
4. Always go for a hand build wheel over manufactured ones. Best bang for your buck and will suit your riding style, power and weight rather than an off the shelf wheel that is built for the masses.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 30 Aug 2014, 05:15

1. Yes. I now know I am 15 watts less powerful than last year.
2.DK. I've got a Quark Elsa crank based.
3. DK - had a coach last year when I was 15 watts more powerful. It was impossible to coach myself.
4. What Simon said.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 30 Aug 2014, 15:08

4. Go for the HED Belgium rims (same as the Ardennes rims) with some hubs of your choice (Chris King Rock) and some spokes ... check out Pro Wheel Builder in the USA for good deals .. then get them properly built after they arrive.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 30 Aug 2014, 20:22

4. I'm going through Wheelworks for some Pacenti SL23's with Chris King hubs. They are $200 more expensive than Pro Wheel Builder but I'm hoping won't have to be re built when they get here. They don't deal in HED anymore as they said the company are too difficult to deal with.

I'm thinking a Stages Power Meter or Garmin Vector so can be easily interchangeable with my TT bike.

Also talk to Adrian Emilson. He and I had a long chat about wheels and suppliers.

andrewm

Postby andrewm » 30 Aug 2014, 20:41

My pacentis from wheel works haven't missed a beat. Pretty sure I'll wear through the brake track and they don't been trying ever.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 31 Aug 2014, 19:00

The HED ardennes is an excellent rim and is the Pancenti sl23 and H+Son archetype.

I've built a few HED/Powertaps… Just one word of caution… because power taps have really wide and uneven flange dimensions to accommodate the power meter, the non-drive side spokes are prone to slackening off with low tension. One option is to build a power tap into an Off Centered rim to get better non-drive side spoke tension and a more even bracing angle. DT make the RR440 which is one option although I don't think its as solid as the ardennes.
http://www.dtswiss.com/Components/Rims- ... asymmetric

James Rogers

Postby James Rogers » 01 Sep 2014, 07:53

The whole power meter market seems like it will explode with a variety of brands, options, and costs over the next 6 months — even PowerTap looks like it will introduce a non-hub based variation (pedal, crank or shoe). I'd say right now would be a bad time to buy, given what is on the horizon (well, rumoured, promised, or pre-announced.)

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 01 Sep 2014, 09:23

Very true James, this should bring the cost of established and new brands to a reasonable level!

One thing though, the power meter market has been stung quite a few times by power meter devices that have entered the market with shoddy accuracy or not built with quality so tread cautiously when getting something that has not been thoroughly tested.

andrewm

Postby andrewm » 01 Sep 2014, 09:43

As linked to by james, hard to go past ray for detailed powermeter info, or any sports technology stuff

http://www.dcrainmaker.com

humanbeing

Postby humanbeing » 01 Sep 2014, 10:49

My pacentis from wheel works haven't missed a beat. Pretty sure I'll wear through the brake track and they don't been trying ever.
? :-)

jonboy

Postby jonboy » 01 Sep 2014, 11:19

Thanks for all the replies so far - all advice has been really useful. I've resigned myself that a crank based option is best, and sit tight and wait.

Prices are falling and the technology seems to be getting better. I'm also thinking about a bike upgrade and another year or so might be a good idea here - esp to see what stage disc brakes are at.

andrewm

Postby andrewm » 01 Sep 2014, 13:58

? :-)
the joy of autocorrect, iphones and laziness....

the wheels are awesome

havent need truing yet, and I rekon I weart the wheels out (the brake track) and they will not have needed any truing.

they will have lasted between 15,000and 20,000 km before they wear out

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 06 Sep 2014, 19:24

James Rogers

Postby James Rogers » 24 Feb 2015, 13:59

Just got this response from Xpedo, in regards to their pedal-based system (USD $1100):

Hello James,

Thanks for the email and interests in our products.
The THRUST E will start shipping in end of March.
However we do not have a distributor in Australia at the moment.
You may be able to find the THRUST E in other countries:
http://xpedo.com/distributors/international

Thanks again and Best Regards,
Service Center | xpedo | No.3, Gong 7th Rd., Dajia Dist., Taichung city, Taiwan | p +886-426816991 | www.xpedo.com | facebook.com/xpedo

Return to “Road”