RNP Rides - Which Way?

Road cycling & upcoming rides
jimmy

Postby jimmy » 10 Jan 2008, 09:21

This morning on the way in, I was thinking about our RNP rides.

There seems to be a preference in the club to do them in a clockwise direction (in at Audley, out at Waterfall), I have no objection to doing the Park this way, but I think that we are missing out on doing it the other way.

So, what I was thinking was on the 1st Sunday of the month, do it one way, and on the 3rd, do it the other way.

How about, on the 1st Sunday, we do it anti-clockwise (in at Waterfall, out at Audley), and on the 3rd Sunday, we do it clockwise (in at Audley, out at Waterfall). This makes sense to me, as we did it anti-clockwise on the Sunday just gone.

Having a set direction, means that if someone is chasing, then they know which way we are going through the park.

What are other peoples thoughts?

James

fenn_paddler

Postby fenn_paddler » 10 Jan 2008, 11:05

This morning on the way in, I was thinking about our RNP rides.

There seems to be a preference in the club to do them in a clockwise direction (in at Audley, out at Waterfall), I have no objection to doing the Park this way, but I think that we are missing out on doing it the other way.

So, what I was thinking was on the 1st Sunday of the month, do it one way, and on the 3rd, do it the other way.

How about, on the 1st Sunday, we do it anti-clockwise (in at Waterfall, out at Audley), and on the 3rd Sunday, we do it clockwise (in at Audley, out at Waterfall). This makes sense to me, as we did it anti-clockwise on the Sunday just gone.

Having a set direction, means that if someone is chasing, then they know which way we are going through the park.

What are other peoples thoughts?

James
If you do it clockwise you're generally still (relatively) fresh going in at Audley, which is the commitment point.

Anti-clockwise if it's been a solid pace down to waterfall, you're that little bit less fresh to do the park and the commitment point is a little bit later on. So it can be tempting to talk yourself out of it and just head straight back along the higway instead.

Cheers,
Alan W

FAswad

Postby FAswad » 10 Jan 2008, 11:59

Jimmy
I totally agree.

I enjoy certain aspects of each of the two rides, and thus, having a set RNP schedule means we get to do one ride in either direction every month.

The other thing that I was thinkiong about is that these rides should be posted on the front page of our website in the same way that the regular Sunday ride and the Saturday slowies are.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 10 Jan 2008, 13:33

If you do it clockwise you're generally still (relatively) fresh going in at Audley, which is the commitment point.

Anti-clockwise if it's been a solid pace down to waterfall, you're that little bit less fresh to do the park and the commitment point is a little bit later on. So it can be tempting to talk yourself out of it and just head straight back along the higway instead.

Cheers,
Alan W
Alan, I can see your point, but I suppose I see it as it adds to the challenge, like the old NT Tourism Slogan, "You'll never never know, if you never never go".

At the end of the day, we don't get stronger on the bike by taking it easy.

Further, if you go in at Audley, I think that the ride is harder, the stretch between Flat Rock Creek and the Garie Beach turnoff is pretty tough. While going it at Waterfall, while still hard, I think is easier. So being a bit more stuffed there isn't as big an issue.

James

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 10 Jan 2008, 14:45

At the end of the day, total climbed metres matters. It should be identical whichever direction you ride. Just ride faster for more gain. :wink:

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 10 Jan 2008, 16:30

I agree.

Waterfall in and Audley out is the best option for a RNP virgin, where Audley in and Waterfall out is the best option for a hardened RNP rider, so doing both as part of the schedule will provide opportunity's for all.

Also for the chasers, you know which way the other riders went.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 10 Jan 2008, 21:34

I think that one way 1st sunday and the other 3rd sunday is a good idea. I don't really find too much difference between both directions on the whole.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 10 Jan 2008, 21:43

Both kill me... So I die... :cry:

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 10 Jan 2008, 21:59

Both kill me... So I die... :cry:
So, no difference anyway. :D

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 10 Jan 2008, 22:07

So, no difference anyway. :D
Exactly right... But my chance of dying further is increased in the Waterfall to Sutherland direction on the Princes Hwy. So I prefer to die by the Waterfall-Audley route. :wink:

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 11 Jan 2008, 14:40

I'm better at Waterfall in Audley out. Reason being is that I seem to perform better with rests between heavy loads, so Audley in Waterfall out is best for me cos it harder. However as I've stated earlier, I agree with James C as the mix is best for the entire group.

williamd

Postby williamd » 12 Jan 2008, 11:39

Hey Weiyun

You are a good hill climber so I would have thought that the hardest way would suite you.

I like the easieast way myself so I go with the normal route.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 12 Jan 2008, 19:38

I am nobody compared with all the others in our club. Not so strong but a lack of baggage. And I don't enjoy pain. :P

williamd

Postby williamd » 12 Jan 2008, 23:07

Weiyun

Talking about pain I was in some pain towards the finish of the race at Heffron park today.

I'll be back.

Return to “Road”