Ride Leader Training on 30th June

Road cycling & upcoming rides
geoff m

Postby geoff m » 21 Jun 2013, 19:11

I've just seen the availability of this course for those I've spoken to and are waiting to do this recently revised course.

Notice is not great but please try to get on if you can. Anyone else wanting to be a ride leader please contact me or one of the committee members. Once agreed, and with rostered duties you will get reimbursement. First aid is required to receive the qualification. Will be reimbursed as well.

http://www.austcycle.com.au/news/2013/2 ... urse-dates

Rajiv

Postby Rajiv » 28 Jun 2013, 17:37

Hi Geoff,

I'm not that experienced yet but am interested in helping the club out by becoming a ride leader. Doug mentioned that there might be a variety of ride types that I could lead, once qualified and once I've got a few kms under my belt. However I am a bit confused about which course DHBC recommends. The link above leads to Austcycle, whereas the one posted on Facebook leads to Cycling NSW. I'd also need to get a First Aid Certificate.

Any recommendations/suggestions?

Regards,
Rajiv

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 28 Jun 2013, 20:35

Rajiv - the courses are related. However, do the Cycling NSW one now that it has been re-instated.

The reason to do that is that as a ride leader on a club sanctioned ride you have a duty of care to the bunch. You are also covered by insurance when acting as a ride leader. Your licence will be updated to include your coach qualification.

The link to the Cycling NSW course is here - it's the Road and Track Skills Course now (recently changed names). People who are interested should register with Barrie McLean so he knows the level of interest.

silly_billy_boy

Postby silly_billy_boy » 29 Jun 2013, 00:29

Hi. Would be interested as well. I notice the Sunday one is now closed. But will contact about the other.

Bill

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 29 Jun 2013, 05:57

Both of you, and anyone else interested, should talk to Geoff Martin as well.

You can DM him through the forum.

Rajiv

Postby Rajiv » 29 Jun 2013, 18:31

Will get in touch with Geoff first.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 02 Jul 2013, 17:09

OK. Latest courses are coming up and looking for expressions of interest by 15th of July. Its important to register your interest even though you may not be able to make the first available dates.

http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/site/cycl ... 4.6.13.pdf

Its a two day course.

Pre-requisites are:
First Aid
Working with Children Background Check
Online Training as per above info sheet

I've got an email request to CNSW to find out if the First Aid and Background check is essential prior to undertaking the coaching skills course as I suspect its not, but these must be furnished in order for the licence to be granted. I will get back to you once I have an answer.

Here's info on Children Background Checks

http://www.kids.nsw.gov.au/Working-with ... dren-Check

Here is some FAQs on Coaching and First Aid minimums:

http://www.cycling.org.au/default.asp?P ... ing_course__

Because there have been no courses available for the past 9 months, I have had various people contact me casually about interest, but now need to do a stock take and assessment of your interest.

STEPS to FOLLOW.

Please PM me with your interest. Thanks Rajiv and Bill for letting me know you are interested.

Please call me on 0422 001 955 for some information on what we ask our coaches to do, so you can get a feel for what's involved and I can get a feel for your interest, experience and commitment. I'm on leave this week and have some downtime. FOR THOSE INTERESTED PLEASE CALL ME BETWEEN NOW AND FRIDAY 5th JULY if possible.

Marc - No need to call me as its already been agreed for you to proceed.

Register your interest with Cycling NSW as per the above in any case.

REIMBURSEMENT.

If approved to proceed, DHBC will reimburse any First Aid, Children Checks (don't think there is a cost here), and your Coach Training, once you have your coaching licence issues, and have joined our Ride Leader roster, and not before. If you can get your work to pay for First Aid, as a First Aider, then that's even better, but DHBC is more than happy to reimburse this.

COMMITMENT.

One weekend rostered per month of both Saturday and Sunday. Leading Slowies, and either C25s or C28s. If we can get at least 3 coaches per week, this allows flexibility should 1 of the 3 coaches have a commitment/holiday/race on, as the other 2 can cover.

EXPERIENCE.

Commonsense, the requisite training, a load confident voice (if you can't shout no one can hear you) and commitment to be available regularly. You must be very comfortable riding C25s to take the C25s, and to take the C28s very comfortable riding with the C28s. You must be prepared to ride lead the C25s at all times as this is our target group, and C28s only if we have a C25 leader.

silly_billy_boy

Postby silly_billy_boy » 08 Oct 2013, 09:16

Hi,

I am still keen for training rude leading and stuff.

I don't get on this forum much and it also never seems to send me alerts for subscribed threads.

Anyway, if there is any info on this in the future can you email me, billchant@gmail.com

Also can offer photographic services if ever needed for the club.

Bill

Return to “Road”