Cycle skills

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Hashtag

Postby Hashtag » 23 Apr 2013, 19:59

Riding SOP tonight, I saw what looked like LACC doing some sort of cycle skills coaching, in a big car park. Things like cornering, riding closely together, etc. Just wonder if DHBC do anything like this? I'm crap at cornering this is the main reason I ask.

timyone

Postby timyone » 27 Apr 2013, 11:56

Race Herron

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 27 Apr 2013, 12:14

Yeah, Heffron will sort you out. Corner speed is key to not being dropped.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 27 Apr 2013, 12:52

Hi Paulette,

Not sure racing at Heffron was quite the advice you were after!

I don't profess to be good at cornering, but I can tell you a couple of things I do/did to improve:
1. Watched people who I knew were good at it. Stuart is particularly good from his motorcycle days so I'd watch and try to emulate him, especially on descents.
2. Practice! Whenever I was in some quiet streets I'd try and take the corner a bit quicker but still within my comfort zone. Would allow to try and go quicker each time on some of the more familiar routes.
3. Research. There is a pretty good article on the Cycling Tips blog about braking before the corner etc. Have a read. I'm on the mobile but can try and find it and email it to you.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 27 Apr 2013, 14:08

As for similar skills courses, it's something that's come up recently and is under discussion (official coaching etc). At the moment, your best bet is Slowies but that doesn't really suit when you have the basics down.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 27 Apr 2013, 20:33

Race Herron
Not the best advice for beginners. That's a pretty technical course to be learning cornering at speed mixing it with the men.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 28 Apr 2013, 11:01

It's a great initiative from LACC to be teaching bike handling skills and it's something I'd love to see DHBC emulate. LACC have booked the Lansdowne crit track for skills sessions and some club racing for a solid month or so on Saturdays and it's an excellent venue to learn at, having fast downhill corners and easy lumps (not really hills). Certainly way better than the Dunc Gray crit track (but it costs $$). Lansdowne is not much further to ride then Dunc. I'd be happy to part of skills sessions for club members conducted in a 'closed" environment i.e. not Centennial Park.

The most important aspect of corning is to look where you want to be, not where you are .i.e. look "through" the corner, not at the road immediately in front of you - and never look where you don't want to go e.g. into the bushes or armco, as you just might end up there. Also, remember that rear brake as you lean into a corner makes the bike turn in more, front brake makes it "understeer", or move towards the outside of the corner (which is bad!).

I'm flattered that Jo thinks I'm good at cornering but that really comes from 30+ years of riding a motorcycle. Many others in the club are faster descenders though .....

Colin Campbell

Postby Colin Campbell » 28 Apr 2013, 11:30

Providing there is truth in you never being too old to learn, I would be interested in a riding skills course - braking, cornering and getting through barriers like those on the South Dowling St overpass (seriously, every Saturday it is always hit and miss for me).

Hashtag

Postby Hashtag » 28 Apr 2013, 15:18

Thanks all, I will give Heffron a go, just, not right now.

I've been lucky enough to do a womans training camp and found it to be an excellent confidence builder. I'm on the look out for one day skills/race meets. Normally Donna Meehan puts them on and she is very patient and encouraging. In the mean time if DHBC do a skills thing I would love to be part of it. Ill be sure to hunt down Stuart and follow him around the bends, or send him around the bend with my plethora of questions.

Any further advice, suggestions welcome

pflanagan

Postby pflanagan » 29 May 2013, 15:13

Park bikes at Olympic Park (Murray Rose Ave) do a shop ride at 6am on Wednesdays leaving from the shop. They leave after the LACC riders commence their usual ride. This ride focusses on skills, they advise DHBC riders are welcome.

Hashtag

Postby Hashtag » 29 May 2013, 18:46

Thanks, I happened to stumble on park bikes just after I posted this thread. I've been doing it for the last few weeks. It's great, the guys are friendly and know there stuff. Highly recommend it to anyone.

Return to “Road”